6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2017 6.2 random long crank when starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 02:31 PM
SnowPlowDriver
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatbed Ed
I get a slow start every once in a while. My truck is a 2012 with 585000 MI. I think it's just starting to wear out and I should think about replacing it soon before it leaves me stranded
Consider replacing it before it gets to 999,999 miles because the odometer wont turn over.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
Krabill
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
long crank happened twice to me yesterday, first time in a few months but the temp was upper 60s

Did the reprogramming thing mentioned above actually work? Do I need a new fuel pump?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Krabill
long crank happened twice to me yesterday, first time in a few months but the temp was upper 60s

Did the reprogramming thing mentioned above actually work? Do I need a new fuel pump?
No reprogram did not fix.... Dealer needs an error code or a fuel pressure out of spec to replace under warranty... I think if they look at pressure when it happens it would get a pump...but good help is hard to find... They start it to bring in shop...by then too late to catch it

Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM
reesestewww
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumping this thread. My long crank seems to get worse. Sometimes the truck just barely starts, sputters then the RPMs will increase. Dealer says they have no idea.

Does anyone have any new feedback or resolutions?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Good bump...mine still doing it too...
and the cold morning squeal is back!!!! UGH

Old 03-05-2019, 05:13 PM
S cobb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reesestewww
Bumping this thread. My long crank seems to get worse. Sometimes the truck just barely starts, sputters then the RPMs will increase. Dealer says they have no idea.

Does anyone have any new feedback or resolutions?
ford replaced my fuel pump last summer. It’s been prefect ever since. Figure out how to make it happen. Mine was midday let it sit for a hour or more. It would do it every time. Started great in the morning or if you started it every 20-30 minutes. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
They admitted it long cranks.... But said Ford will only do the reprogram to solve it.... Unless they get a code or a fuel pressure low reading ..no pump! Reprogram does not solve it.... They had truck twice so far ,for 5 weeks in 2018........ 3 main issues persist... Corporate does not want to help....said find a new dealer... Still under warranty and have Premium care.....gee thanks.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 PM
MBuckholz
Tuned
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
My '18 is doing this. And it seems to be happening more frequently, with longer cranks. Most likely to occur when nose is parked downhill.

I had an '11, same vehicle. Never did this in 160,000+ miles.

Hummmhh. Wish it would just fail, not be an intermittent problem.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:55 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My '18 with 58,000 is doing this as well. Mornings are fine,getting worse with the hot weather after driving and sitting for an hour or so. Have purchased the replacement fuel pump mentioned in this thread, it will be replaced Monday. Stay tuned for an update, as mine is regular as clockwork when hot and sitting for a bit, I should know right away if it helps. Had the "reflash" done back in January...nothing seemed to change, so I'm hopeful.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM
MBuckholz
Tuned
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by travlnman
My '18 with 58,000 is doing this as well. Mornings are fine,getting worse with the hot weather after driving and sitting for an hour or so. Have purchased the replacement fuel pump mentioned in this thread, it will be replaced Monday. Stay tuned for an update, as mine is regular as clockwork when hot and sitting for a bit, I should know right away if it helps. Had the "reflash" done back in January...nothing seemed to change, so I'm hopeful.
I think you're on the right path we're all anxious to hear, I'm about ready to drop the tank on mine and replace the fuel pump also. How much did the fuel pump cost you and where did you get it?

Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
I simply googled part # HC3Z9H307U. I ordered it from a local dealer and if I recall , the cost was about $134...give or take.This part number is referenced elsewhere in this thread as well. Just make sure you get the part number ending in "U" like above..as I understand it, this is a newer design and supposedly will alleviate our problem. I will post up immediately after pump install to share my results. Not doing myself, it's only a couple hours labor at my local trusted shop, so I'll spring for it.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Krabill
Junior User
Mine still doing it as well, and much more noticeable now that the summer heat is starting. Looking forward to seeing if this will fix your problem.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:03 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Sorry for the delay , but wanted a few days of driving to give an accurate report. Had the fuel pump replaced on Monday, which was warm for around here(80's), and have driven several hundred miles all week. The temps have not been warmer than 80's, but I have tried to recreate the issue as often as possible. As of this moment, I have not had a long crank problem since the replacement on Monday. Now, I admit, I may be overly critical of things for a bit, as there was maybe..possibly a time or two that I thought it cranked a second longer than normal...but before, there were times I feared it would not catch and I have definitely not had that happen. I'm cautiously optimistic , but will reserve the declaration of victory for a later date after more time has been spent behind the wheel. Mornings are still crisp starts as always, but in the heat of the day, prior to Monday, there were times it barely caught and it even stumbled and started very slowly when it did. I'm happy to report, that has not happened again....yet. I will post back up when I've had more time to drive, test, and over analyze my results. Again, the cost of the pump was little over $130, my local shop billed at 2 or 2.5hrs labor to swap it. If you can swing it...as of now...I recommend it. Stay tuned for more information...

Old 06-21-2019, 07:12 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by travlnman
Sorry for the delay , but wanted a few days of driving to give an accurate report. Had the fuel pump replaced on Monday, which was warm for around here(80's), and have driven several hundred miles all week. The temps have not been warmer than 80's, but I have tried to recreate the issue as often as possible. As of this moment, I have not had a long crank problem since the replacement on Monday. Now, I admit, I may be overly critical of things for a bit, as there was maybe..possibly a time or two that I thought it cranked a second longer than normal...but before, there were times I feared it would not catch and I have definitely not had that happen. I'm cautiously optimistic , but will reserve the declaration of victory for a later date after more time has been spent behind the wheel. Mornings are still crisp starts as always, but in the heat of the day, prior to Monday, there were times it barely caught and it even stumbled and started very slowly when it did. I'm happy to report, that has not happened again....yet. I will post back up when I've had more time to drive, test, and over analyze my results. Again, the cost of the pump was little over $130, my local shop billed at 2 or 2.5hrs labor to swap it. If you can swing it...as of now...I recommend it. Stay tuned for more information...

Just checking in to see if this is still working out for you. I am experiencing the same issue on my 2018.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:34 AM
Krabill
Junior User
Long crank yesterday after sitting in the heat for about 4-5 hours. Almost didnt catch

Quick Reply: 2017 6.2 random long crank when starting