6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2017 6.2 random long crank when starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:01 AM
giant futon
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine's at Ford right now so I'll let you guys know what the result is. I should be hearing something today.

GF

Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 AM
S cobb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giant futon
Mine's at Ford right now so I'll let you guys know what the result is. I should be hearing something today.

GF
Any updates? What did they find?

Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 PM
giant futon
Senior User
They didn't get the part in on Friday like they were supposed to but they are working on it today. Maybe I'll have it this evening? NOPE: ordered wrong thing, pushed to Wednesday....sigh

GF

Old 06-05-2018, 09:54 AM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
What is the part they are going to replace? My 2018 F250 6.2 has been doing this since ~500 miles, currently almost 1500 miles. Agree it tends to be more mid day or after the engine is warm then first cold start of the day. My brand new truck sounds like a beater that isn't going to start half the time, not cool.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM
giant futon
Senior User
Well the service guys ordered a new tank but apparently there was a change on where the sensor is located. In the first job they were located on the tank itself but apparently mine is actually located on the pump. So now they have ordered a new fuel pump. Unfortunately this is taking longer because of the change up. If I get the truck back today or tomorrow I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

unfortunately I’m going out of the country for a while so I won’t be able to give very good long term updates. Maybe my wife will drive it and let me know.

GF

Old 06-05-2018, 02:53 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
giant futon,

Safe travels. Let us know how you make out when you get back.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:59 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
It's the fuel pump, good luck getting one right now. There is a backorder. See if your dealer can put it on priority so you can get it first. I have 3 trucks that need a fuel pump because the check valve failed in them and the pressure is bleeding back to the tank.

The following 3 users liked this post by ford390gashog:
Old 06-05-2018, 05:09 PM
gatorbuilder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem with 24k on the odometer. I'm ALSO having issues when I'm at a red light and the engine dropping down to 300 rpms intermittently and bouncing up to around 800 rpms. I sure hope my less-than-a-year old truck isn't going to die on me at a busy intersection.

Any others with the rough idle issue?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:57 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 383 Likes on 214 Posts
As this looks to be a widespread problem, hopefully FMC is working on an updated part to prevent these issues in the future. For all those affected, keep us posted on how the repair works out for you.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Krabill
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gatorbuilder
I'm having the same problem with 24k on the odometer. I'm ALSO having issues when I'm at a red light and the engine dropping down to 300 rpms intermittently and bouncing up to around 800 rpms. I sure hope my less-than-a-year old truck isn't going to die on me at a busy intersection.

Any others with the rough idle issue?

Its done this to me at least once when i hook it up to my small boat trailer and put it in drive and just BARELY push the gas, almost shut off and stuttered for a few seconds then went along fine. I try to do this on purpose every time now to see if I can keep recreating it but again its random.

Old 06-06-2018, 08:57 PM
[Jensen]
New User
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys new to this site, I work at ford and have seen a few of these. It is the fuel pump. If you do a fuel pressure test it should be 55-62psi key on or engine running. If you shut the key off it should hold pressure. But the pumps are not holding pressure because the pressure valve is sticking open. Replace the pump and it will fix it.
Now I would also check your evap canister. The vent goes into you fuel door. Pull your evap solenoid on the canister (left hand thread if you turn it right to put it back in you will break it) if it’s full of dirt you need to replace the evap canister. But you can try and use light air pressure and blow out most dirt. Then re route the vent to the engine and mount by the air box

The following 7 users liked this post by [Jensen]:
AntF25086, bent-1, bla1879, cknpro, railroader, RPD34, rubberducky700 and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:24 PM
[Jensen]
New User
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry forgot a few details. I’m quite new to ford but apparently if your Evan canister has dirt in it. Then your fuel pump and canister would not have warranty. And I’m hearing now to re locate your Evan vent that isn’t covered either. They say if your running it in an environment that causes dirt to get into the vent it’s up to you to pay for the relocation. And the picture I showed that Evap was cleaned so they will look dirtier than that. But your evap gets dirty then sends the dirt into the fuel system and causes the pressure valve to stick open making your fuel pressure bleed down after the vehicle has been shut off. Causing extended crank and sometimes no start conditions. Hope this helps

The following 2 users liked this post by [Jensen]:
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Krabill
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So brand new truck under bumper to bumper warrany, ford is going to tell us we have to re-route and re-mount our evap canister?

And replace our fuel pump on our own dime?

Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 PM
TXSD6.2
More Turbo
My 2018 F250 6.2 CC 4x4 been doing this since the first week I owned it. About 3 weeks old now. Cold starts first thing in the morning are usually fine.
I haven't had mine off the pavement or in any unusual dust or dirt. I drop it off at the dealership on Monday to be diagnosed and hopefully repaired.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:23 PM
giant futon
Senior User
Gents,
i got the truck back this morning and drove all day. Short trips, cold starts, hot starts, and long trips. Temps here in Nashville were about as hot as it gets at over 90 all day.

Truck started just as it should every single time and ran perfectly.

Fuel pump was the part they replaced. I’m kick g myself because had I known this was a problem I would have waited on the auxiliary gas tank install until after the fuel pump got replaced. Oh well. Guess I’ll eat this one.

Ill post lay the part number when I figure out where I put the paperwork.

GF

Quick Reply: 2017 6.2 random long crank when starting