Sponsored by:

Leveling kit , death wobble , track bar , pulling F350

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Feardabeard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit , death wobble , track bar , pulling F350

I have a 2015 F350 I bought new from the dealer. I had a local tire shop install a 2'' leveling kit with some new 35'' tires at 600 miles. Looked great and rode will.... however the truck pulled very very slightly to the left. I took it back to the shop and the alignment was checked perfect. The tire shop recommended getting a camber adjust kit installed because at the time back in 2015 there was no adjust on a stock f350. Also , because it was still new there were no aftermarket parts so I had to drive like that. It didn't bother me too much.

Fast forward to recently. Truck and tires with 55k miles. I did regular tire rotations up until the last 15k miles. As the tires wore the pulling got close to ridiculous. I contact a local reputable shop that does suspension , lift , alignment about installing a camber adjust and described the problem I was having. They recommended getting the tires replaced and then bring it in right after.

Got the tires replaced and drove it straight to them. They installed the camber adjust and got the truck driving without pulling. However they recommended I install a track bar... I said no problem go for it. I got the truck back and they told me that I should install some steering shocks because it will help with the "steering will movement when it goes over dips and bumps".

I drove the truck and immediately noticed that the truck drove straight however the steering wheel was pretty much controlled by the road. Dips or unevenness would turn the steering wheel with force. At speed on the freeway it was kind of ridiculous.... to the point that it was difficult to stay in my lane. This didn't happen just on bumps. It happened on dips, transitions in pavement to asphalt , and normal road conditions.

After the 2 steering shocks where installed the self turning steering wheel problem got much better but it is still present. I don't have to fight with it so much. A new issue arose with the shocks installed. When at speed the steering wheel is a few degrees off axis , however the truck is driving straight. The truck still drives straight if the road is smooth and flat.

The shop pretty much said I have to live with the steering wheel being controlled by the road and its the best its gonna be. He said the "lift" kit pretty much makes things impossible to be like factory ride.... I understand where he's coming from but I am definitely thinking this steering wheel axis being off while the truck is driving straight is not acceptable.

Im guessing the steering wheel problem wasn't around before because the tires were slightly off camber thus creating some pull on the tires. This kept the steering with a little pull to the left but not controlled by the road. Im kinda lost as to what the hell is going on now.

Hoping somebody can give me some more info before I go back there and tell them its not right. I feel like they are gonna just tell me theres nothing they can do. Ive dropped at least a couple grand on the camber adjust , alignment , track bar install and steering shocks. Right now Im kinda just wishing I just lived with the truck pulling to the left slightly because for 40k miles it was so minor it didn't even bother me. Now the truck rides like a I'm on uneven sand at 60 mph with a steering wheel looking at me with a crooked eye.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:57 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
we had the same issue with the 2014 at work. at 89,000 miles all the add on crap was removed and stock ford wheels, and steering and suspension components were put back on. the truck now drives like it is new.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Feardabeard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
we had the same issue with the 2014 at work. at 89,000 miles all the add on crap was removed and stock ford wheels, and steering and suspension components were put back on. the truck now drives like it is new.
crap , thats what I'm afraid of having to do

Old 02-01-2018, 07:21 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Can you post a pic of the track bar? Something not right with it to be causing bump steer.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The steering wheel being off centered can be corrected in just a few minutes by adjusting the drag link.

I have no idea why they said you needed camber adjustment. Lifting a solid axle has nothing to do with camber. But just adding a leveling kit will affect caster. These trucks have very little caster to bring with, and you probably lost 2* with the leveling kit. Icon makes some 2.5* caster bushings that drop in the top of your ball joint. This will help keep your truck going straight down the road and not wonder. They also have adjustable radius arms for caster, but they are pretty expensive. Lifted trucks don't have to drive like crap.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is it pulling? Or is the wheel just off center. Those are two different things.

Adjusting the wheel is a bit of a pain. Techs just don't always have the time to get it perfect. I suggest adjusting it yourself. Also check the new track bar to make sure it's adjusted to hold the axle perfectly centered.

It's not uncommon for larger tires to follow the road. And deep tread will be wiggly until it drys out.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:36 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
… It's not uncommon for larger tires to follow the road. And deep tread will be wiggly until it drys out.
Your exactly right

so many ppl add bigger wider AT or MT (even worse) lugged tires Then Complain about pulling, drive quality, ride & Noise.

How often are U off-road to need these cleated tires ?

I personally refuse to run these tires for the mentioned reasons.

30yrs ago I loved them

Old 07-23-2023, 06:35 PM
E-350 SuperDuty 4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You need to find a new shop. Part of an alignment is centering the steering wheel. The fact your mechanic didnt take the time to center the steering wheel is a clear indication that he doesnt know what he is doing and is a half *** shade tree mechanic. You lifted the truck, that means you need to adjust the caster. Camber is not a steering angle, it is a tire wear angle. Caster on the other hand is a steering angle and if the caster is not correct you will have all kinds of steering wander, following grove sin the road, steering wheel not wanting to return to center after a turn, etc.... Incorrect toe in/out will also cause the steering to pull one way or the other and will cause tire wear. At a minimum you need to find a shop that actually knows how to do a proper alignment. Excuses are what half *** mechanics and shops give customers when they are to lazy and uneducated in their field to do a proper alignment. Not all alignment shops are created equal....

Clearly you need to be checking ball joints, tie rods, drag link, wheel bearings and everything else and replace anything that shows signs of wear. Your truck is eight years old, it isnt new anymore...

Old 07-23-2023, 07:13 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
5 year old thread, and he has not logged on in almost two years.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:28 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Any half assed shade tree mechanic should be able to center his own steering wheel on these strait axle super duty front axles

Lifts or leveling kits doesn’t change camber settings at all : only caster.

Old 07-24-2023, 02:17 PM
E-350 SuperDuty 4x4
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by tjc transport
5 year old thread, and he has not logged on in almost two years.
Does that somehow prevent others from reading the post and gaining knowledge from it? I mean isnt that exactly the point of an internet forum?

Old 07-24-2023, 04:55 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
no it does not. but most people post replies to the original poster, not for someone to thread mine an old thread looking for answers.
those people tend to post a new thread with their issues.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:18 PM
E-350 SuperDuty 4x4
Mountain Pass
And others just arent happy unless theyre trying to create conflict over something that doesnt matter in the least.