Need your brain. 6.0 hesitation from stop - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Need your brain. 6.0 hesitation from stop

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 01-27-2018, 05:10 PM
Elk hunter303
New User
Elk hunter303 is starting off with a positive reputation.

long time reader, first time writer.

‘Alright fellas, I have searched this forum to my wits end and that’s where I am at with my truck. Let me know what you guys think.

symptoms:

1. If at a stop, and I put the pedal to the floor, the truck chugs and slowly creeps forward. Then the boost slowly builds, and then it takes off like a rocket.

2. If I am rolling, and in a high gear, I get the same hesitation.

3.if I am rolling, and in a higher rpm, the truck takes off great.

4. One example of the lack of power was when I was in the mountains hunting. I was turning around on a small switchback. With the butt of my truck up a hill and pinned against a ledge the size of a curb, backing up. I give it gas, and it didn’t have enough power to go up, it just blew smoke. I put it in 4 low, had enough gear, and it went right over. Same situation happens if I am pulling a heavy trailer from a stop up a hill. Once I get going, no problem at all with power.
  1. No codes via livewire, except a glow plug cylinder 7, that came on well after these problems and I’ll fix after I get this right

‘What I have thought and tried already. Although each seems to help overall performance, I still have the issue.

1. At first I figured stuck veins on turbo, I took that out and cleaned it to a polish. It was fairly pitted in there, but veins still moved well. It’s great now and veins move with ease.

2. Fuel filters. I Thought maybe it was starved of fuel. Swapped upper and lower.
  1. Cleaned air filter, new oil change
  2. Tried all the tunes on my livewire
  3. Figured it could be the boots on my charge tubes. Put in all new tubes and boots, triple checked clamps for leakage
  4. Pulled off ebp sensor. Tube was fairly clogged, so I clean it, and the sensor. Seems to help the most, but didn’t fix it
  5. Then since that help, I figured I would try to clean the port where the tube connects to the manifold. Did that, no change
  6. Figured the sensor was bad, got a new on, put it in. No change. Of course, as you may know, the live wire doesn’t give me an accurate reading on gauges
  7. Unplugged sensor, seems like a bit better, but don’t want to run with it off. When I unplug it, my truck goes from sounding like a hairdryer on the turbo and exhaust to a more normal sound.
What do you guys think I should try next. Running out of money and sanity

2006 6.0L, 4” straight pipe from turbo back. Live wire tuner. Egr delete (cel tuned out)

Auto transmission,

Old 01-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Misky6.0
Post Fiend
Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Assuming everything else is fine, stock size wheels, etc. you may just need atlas40 FICM tune, the stock tuning is terrible if you mash the pedal from a stop.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Elk hunter303
New User
Elk hunter303 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the reply. I still feel like something is not right. I agree I may be able to tune around this, but I think something is still wrong. For example when I was up in the mountain and had to put it in four low to even drive over a rock.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 PM
dsydow
New User
dsydow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same issue. As does every 6.0 I work on almost daily. Wemy shop dont do any aftermarket tuning to anything we work on, nor do we recommend it. Due to our 3 year 36k warranty. Gotta keep ourselves safe. But that instant torque would be nice. Any Maxi-pad (aka. Duramax) can chirp tires with stock tune. Id love to have a good recommendation for my customers and myself for instant throttle response. Im convinced its all tuning.