Sponsored by:

This will either be a part out or a fix and sell Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
This will either be a part out or a fix and sell Excursion

THIS IS NOT A FOR SALE THREAD. DO NOT POST REPLIES ASKING TO PURCHASE TRUCK OR PARTS!

I am just sharing the story of our newest EX.

This will be the second vehicle we have found to part out, the first was a 2003 F350 7.3L.

The Details:

2003 Limited V-10 220K miles. Used has a work truck and just died one day and the owner couldn't figure out why. We came in and picked it up for $800. The plan is to see if it will be an easy fix and then we will sell whole, or if it is too much of a repair, we will just part out.

So the truck will not start. I hooked a charger up to it and charged the battery overnight and it seems to be holding a charge well. The starter is fried, so I will be picking up a new one and installing this weekend. You can actually turn the ignition to "ON" without a key, so I think a new ignition will be needed as well.

Here is a video of what the truck is doing when you try to start it.

If we can get it running, it will get a major cleaning both inside and out. I am sure there is a shiny truck somewhere under there. I can't make it look too good because the wife has already expressed interest in it becoming her truck...

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-28-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Bold the text
Old 01-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's not rusty and you get it running, then DEFINITELY keep it! $800 is a steal no matter how you slice it.

Could be a bad ignition switch/wiring as you said, especially since you can turn the ignition on without using a key. When you get a new starter try hot wiring it from the starter solenoid and see if it fires up with the key on start/run position. Looks to me like its losing all cranking power when you turn the key.

Use this video for troubleshooting.

Of course make sure you turn the motor over by hand first to make sure she isnt locked up before you go on the adventure above...

Old 01-26-2018, 06:58 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Greenscobie86
If it's not rusty and you get it running, then DEFINITELY keep it! $800 is a steal no matter how you slice it.

Could be a bad ignition switch/wiring as you said, especially since you can turn the ignition on without using a key. When you get a new starter try hot wiring it from the starter solenoid and see if it fires up with the key on start/run position. Looks to me like its losing all cranking power when you turn the key.

Of course make sure you turn the motor over by hand first to make sure she isnt locked up before you go on the adventure above...
Sweet, thanks for the video.

It is a shame I don't have the extra cash right now, this would be a great shell for a cummins swap.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Following along! By chance does the 6 disk work? Asking for a friend..........

Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Luckily the theft light goes out and isn't flashing, so I don't think you have a PATS issue.

How did you test the battery? Did you load test it? It may have voltage but not have any amps and/or be internally shorted. Battery issues can cause really weird things to go on in these trucks, and that's a pretty cheap battery from Wal-mart. It wouldn't take much to swap in another battery from another vehicle just to see. I'm also wondering if there's any issue with the corroded cable end.

With the battery disconnected, remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column. Put the key to the run position and push the little release latch in the hole on the bottom of the key shaft. Then the ignition switch should pull right out.

While holding the switch, the key should turn like normal in there. There are a couple small metal arms on there that push down, and one may be bent or broken off. I can't tell from your video- does the chime work with the key in and the door open? One of the small metal arms controls this, and if it's bent out just a little too much, it won't chime.

Work or pleasure, I'll never understand how someone can treat a vehicle this way. I mean between the missing leather on the steering wheel and the accumulated brake dust, I just couldn't deal with that.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
that truck has had a hard life...but the glass alone is worth $800

Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
LOL. Not sure yet since we can't get the power thing figured out.

Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Luckily the theft light goes out and isn't flashing, so I don't think you have a PATS issue.

How did you test the battery? Did you load test it? It may have voltage but not have any amps and/or be internally shorted. Battery issues can cause really weird things to go on in these trucks, and that's a pretty cheap battery from Wal-mart. It wouldn't take much to swap in another battery from another vehicle just to see. I'm also wondering if there's any issue with the corroded cable end.

With the battery disconnected, remove the plastic cover on the bottom of the steering column. Put the key to the run position and push the little release latch in the hole on the bottom of the key shaft. Then the ignition switch should pull right out.

While holding the switch, the key should turn like normal in there. There are a couple small metal arms on there that push down, and one may be bent or broken off. I can't tell from your video- does the chime work with the key in and the door open? One of the small metal arms controls this, and if it's bent out just a little too much, it won't chime.

Work or pleasure, I'll never understand how someone can treat a vehicle this way. I mean between the missing leather on the steering wheel and the accumulated brake dust, I just couldn't deal with that.
thanks for all the info, I will check the ignition tomorrow. I didn't bench test the battery or anything just use the voltmeter to see it was still holding a charge.

Originally Posted by Magnus E
that truck has had a hard life...but the glass alone is worth $800
yep, I figured I was pretty safe at that amount.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:36 PM
handywithanex
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm hoping that you get her running. I love watching good troubleshooters doing their thing. The tech folders are my favorites, next to seeing all the awesome builds. Seeing one come back to life, is a joy as well. Patiently waiting.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
great score. I found a 2002 Limited up here for $1500 with perfect interior...no start condition. probably going to pick up, swap interior with mine and then sell once I have it running
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
I have a new double din in the mail...may have factory radio and a 6 disk that work available for that friend shortly

Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
I have a new double din in the mail...may have factory radio and a 6 disk that work available for that friend shortly
That friend is looking for the in dash 6 disk

Old 01-28-2018, 10:18 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice score for $800. Sure is damn dirty though

Old 01-28-2018, 10:49 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
That's the classic weak battery trying to start the vehicle symptom. If you are positive the battery is strong, then it's a battery cable problem or it could be a dead short in the starter but with the way I can hear the relays clicking I really don't think so. I would still try to replace the battery even if only with a loaner out of your truck or at the very least see if the behavior changes with jumper cables. You can test the starter directly on the truck with jumper cables and bypass the factory switches and cables.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
We got the battery charged up and also had a jump box on it just to be sure; the same issues were going on. I can jump the starter and it seems to be working so I don't have to worry about replacing that right now. I will be sending the gauge cluster out to get repaired to see if that is the issue.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
What happens if you use the battery post trick to try to start it just with the key on? Assuming that's not a diesel only thing.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:20 PM
bwguardian
Fleet Mechanic
Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
I would start at the starter with the jumper cables. Then move to the starter solenoid and see what happens. I would also check around the upper part of the windshield and also check in where the fuse box is for water intrusion.

Quick Reply: This will either be a part out or a fix and sell Excursion