Brush Guard find - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Brush Guard find

Old 01-24-2018, 01:21 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.
Brush Guard find

After a long search, finally found a brush guard! This one looks like I recall from the '80s - nice flush fit, and to boot, it is the version that connects to the frame which made me really happy.

I made an offer to a guy who had one on his truck that was for sale, probably paid more than I should have but these are tough to find. Turns out it's actually chrome underneath as well, now I need to sort out whether to strip it, or repaint it black...

Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.SCFlareside has a very good reputation on FTE.

Side view

Old 01-24-2018, 02:05 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sometimes you got to do what you got to do LOL.

Can you tell how good or bad the chrome is under the paint?
I think chrome looks better on your truck.
I would see what a plater wants to re-chrome it.
Dave ----

Old 01-24-2018, 02:50 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Looks like the chrome had at least some surface rust. Nothing I can see looks too bad, like it might come off with elbow grease and chrome polish. Will need to strip the paint off some suspect areas.

That's a good idea seeing about re-chroming

These are so tough to find, I'm thinking about finding a machine shop that would be interested in replicating them for our trucks. If they made up a jig, these don't seem like they'd be too hard to fabricate

Old 01-24-2018, 03:23 PM
1986F150six
Post Fiend
1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold
Powder coat would look nice.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:54 PM
Osagebow
Senior User
Osagebow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Osagebow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Righteous! Nice find

Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sc, Lowes sells herculiner by the quarts, That's what I used on mine.I ended up coating it several times after a good sand blasting.TR

Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT View Post
Sc, Lowes sells herculiner by the quarts, That's what I used on mine.I ended up coating it several times after a good sand blasting.TR
That may look ok on a truck in flat black or camo but not a show room shiny truck IMO
Dave - - - -

Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Here's what it's going on. I was thinking of taking it back to the chrome too, but am wondering if it will distract from the grille. I'd like to keep the "lines" of the bullnose grill showing up, and wonder if it would be better to have it black. Maybe like a satin / semi gloss black on the brush guard and the chrome grille would still show up underneath.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:50 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Well painting is the cheapest over rechrom and if you don't like it black you can still get it chromed.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Dyn Blin
New User
Dyn Blin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice find. Those are like hen's teeth any more.

I've had good luck bringing back chrome with a heavy-duty aluminum foil rub-down lubricated with dish soap, then sealing with a good quality wax.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Great tip! Does the aluminum tend to scratch, or haze the chrome?

Also, would appreciate any thoughts you all have on trying chemical paint strippers. I tried a heat gun last night and it didn't work well. Paint comes off easily enough with a blade but hate to scratch
it

Old 01-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SC WOW-good looking rig , and Dave I agree !.Initally the guard was chromed, I painted it black, then started rusting on the inside of tubes-toward grill (splitting)collecting water. I drilled holes in each tube and used herculiner.TR

Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 PM
reamer
Postmaster
reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.reamer has a great reputation on FTE.
SC, could you trace the lower end on a piece of card-stock?
I have a brush guard here, but it's from some other year. I need a pattern for everything lower that the bottom bar, and the wrap around to the frame...
Thanks!
reamer

Old 01-27-2018, 09:49 PM
SCFlareside
Senior User
Tracing

Originally Posted by reamer View Post
SC, could you trace the lower end on a piece of card-stock?
I have a brush guard here, but it's from some other year. I need a pattern for everything lower that the bottom bar, and the wrap around to the frame...
Thanks!
reamer
Hey Reamer Will do!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brush Guard find

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.