1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Always something, but I love her anyways.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:35 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Looking good! You'll REALLY like those new mirrors

Old 02-16-2018, 03:42 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've got a good looking truck Sous!

I finally ordered some replacement dually flare markers since I've been missing the passenger side from the previous owners goof up. Hopefully these fit as good as factory. I think the smoked lenses will look good with the black truck, and the smoked lenses in the mirrors. I may end up doing smoked cab lights too

Old 02-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I think you are spot on with how they will look. Keep us posted...

Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
I got the marker lights on the mirrors wired up. It's worth say I g that these mirrors have both marker and signal lights. I'll have to get a picture, but I'm not real impressed with the color of the marker. It seems very white, and doesn't match my bright LED cab lights at all. I'm going to try to figure out how to get the bulb out (if it's replaceable) and put a brighter, Amber bulb behind it. That should get it closer. Still happy with the purchase though. I was going to wire the park and signal lights together, so they came on together as a marker and forgo the signal, but the lens for the signal is angled more to the side and didn't look right. Heat will be hooked up once I source a timed switch. I'm posting the wiring for the mirror connector here for future reference in a search.

TAGS: 08 mirror swap conversion wiring

Old 02-21-2018, 06:36 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Smoked markers came in yesterday and look awesome. Much better than the red and yellow and now I have light on both sides. Quality of the lights seemed very good, fit was tight, and the bulbs they came with are fairly bright.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:42 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Showing the mrs the mirror pics now, to get the OK. Damn they look cool!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Showing the mrs the mirror pics now, to get the OK. Damn they look cool!
Good luck! Well worth it!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Just to add to the earlier post about the color of the marker lights in the mirrors, I was told by the company that the bulbs weren't replaceable. That is false. The bulbs are replaceable the same as the factory mirrors. There is a tab behind the mirror that releases the lens and you can get to both bulbs. I'm going to order some Amber leds for it and they should be good to go!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Well, my injector fund is taking another hit. This time to the tune of about $1100. One of my calipers failed yesterday, so it's time for a complete brake overhaul. 4 new calipers, rotors pads, and soft brake lines. Plus I'm breaking down and taking her to the stealership to have my leaking pinion seal replaced. Hopefully then I'll be good for a while!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I had to have my pinion seal replaced as well, but have a small family owned automotive shop available to me. They do great work, are very honest and their prices are very reasonable.

Do you need to replace all of the calipers, are they that bad? Do you know why it failed, could be just the line deteriorated internally and kept pressure on the caliper.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:15 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Not sure why, haven't dug in to it yet. I've had a brake vibration since I got it, but I've been putting off fixing it. I went through this with my excursion though. I replaced them one at a time and they all failed within a month of each other. I figured I'd go on and replace them all while I have the system open and I have the money

Old 02-22-2018, 02:50 PM
machmedic
Laughing Gas
Received 106 Likes on 61 Posts
You guys are making me jealous with those mirrors!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Thanks to afmedic's suggestion on the mirrors and Sous's write up a while back on the upgraded headlight harness I can see SO MUCH better now, front and back.

I ordered the mirror's from afmedic's source on ebay $127, found a 14 gauge wire heavy duty harness from coolbulbs.com for $35, and got my headlights and turn markers from 1Aauto fro $95, found a set of silver star ultras on ebay for $24.

Fit and finish on all of it was good and everything arrived packaged well with no damage.

Took about 2 1/2 hours to install it all since weather here in Ga has been awesome, as in short sleeve shirts.

Didn't do any install shots just before and after. I knew I didn't have very good lights at night but really had no idea how bad it was with the original headlights, WOW what a difference.

Will leave the heat and lights on the mirrors for a future project. Too busy fishing and getting ready for turkey hunting right now.

Attached Images     
Old 02-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Nice job Paul!

What a difference both utility and appearance wise such a small change can make.

Afmedic has started a trend with these new mirrors.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks sharp! I have that same style headlights in mine, but I haven't seen them yet. I just had the shop through them in with my build. I went with the ones with the black background. I hope it doesn't look weird, but my truck is black and then I have the polished grill insert from Ford, so I think all the colors will fit nicely. I hope the lighting is better because my stock lights were useless even after trying multiple ways to get the dullness out.

Now all of you have me wanting to do the mirror upgrade...

Quick Reply: Always something, but I love her anyways.