My 300 inline 6 Sounds like and Diesel!! ..HELP ...UPDATE - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My 300 inline 6 Sounds like and Diesel!! ..HELP ...UPDATE

Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
Jkelley is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 300 inline 6 Sounds like and Diesel!! ..HELP ...UPDATE

I have an 1986 F-150 , 300 Inline 6,3 speed , 80k original miles , It sat for more than 4 years ...I inherited it when my uncle passed away a few weeks back ...I flushed all the Old gas, Put new gas in ,New Tune up, Wires Plugs ,Cap, New Starter, and Battery, Oil Changed...When I try and start it I get the slow start almost like timing is off or battery is dead ,but when I get it started and it will run and then all the sudden I can hear the Rockers rattling and it comes to a screeching Halt...! I let it sit for awhile put battery charger on it and it will start up and do the same exact thing...Any ideas ?..Is the water pump locked up or Alternator seized...I don't know much about Fords but with me reading all the time about them I'm learning...Thanks in advance

Old 01-23-2018, 02:02 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Did you take the belt off and try it? Does it have oil pressure.
No 3 speed manual in 86

Old 01-23-2018, 02:18 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
I took all the belts off and turned everything spun freely ...It doesnít have a gauge just an Dummy Gauge ..When I try to start it turns very slowly ..Like the timing is off & runs down my battery quickly ...Getting frustrated but I will keep reading on the forum and hoping to figure it out

Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Sorry to hear about your uncle.

Why was the truck laid up for 4 years?
Sitting that long may have gotten rust in the cylinders and why it could be slow to crank?
The motor does have oil in it I hope.
You could put a cheap oil gauge on the motor to see ifit has oil psi when cranking.
I say this because you said the rockers/lifters were making noise.
Dave - - - -

Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
Reason behind why it sat is He bought a new Ford and put this one under the oak tree ..So what can I do about the rust in the cylinders ? ..Someone said to put a little marvel mystery oil in the cylinders ?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM
1986F150six
Post Fiend
1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold
Have you taken a close look at the condition of the battery cables [positive and grounds]? If corroded, there is great resistance to the electrical current and the starter will be slow.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
Yes sir new battery cables installed ..I wonder if itís timing is too far advanced ? Is why itís turning slowly ?

Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM
1986F150six
Post Fiend
1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold1986F150six is a splendid one to behold
Remove the center wire [coil wire] from the distributor cap and try to start the engine. If it spins noticeably faster, then the timing is too advanced.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1986F150six View Post
Remove the center wire [coil wire] from the distributor cap and try to start the engine. If it spins noticeably faster, then the timing is too advanced.
Pulled the coil wire from the cap , made sure the battery was fully charged and the engine turned very slowly , never started ..So rust in the cylinders ?

Old 01-23-2018, 06:52 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.
Pull all the plugs and read 'em. What do they look like.....what do they tell you?

While the plugs are out, try and start the engine....be aware of the plug wires and position....they're not in the way of anything.

There should be a change in engine RPM with no plugs in their respective holes.

Whatcha got, Pilgrim?

Old 01-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.Filthy Beast has a very good reputation on FTE.
Addendum:

Before you put the plugs back in, shine a flashlight down a plug hole...or do all of 'em. If you see rust (as mentioned by FuzzFace2) it's time for a rebuild.

Have you pulled the valve cover? I'm thinking you have an oiling problem....."runs for a bit, rockers clattering and then a SCREECHING halt." Bet you won't see oil in them there rockers.....oil pump problems.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:57 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
I have a good SW mechanical oil pressure gauge on a grease gun hose I always confirm oil pressure with. Take out the sending unit and screw it in. We don't see rusted cylinders here. I get engines running good that have sat 20 years. to me it sounds like an oiling problem...maybe. The slow cranking could be a poor connection somewhere, like at the starter or where the ground cable bolts to the engine. Or it could be a dieing starter.
Too much of the description is subject to interpretation to make a good guess.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Jkelley
Senior User
Question on my 300 inline 6 the negative battery cable it bolts to the starter bolt and not the frame or block ..Correct ?

Old 01-23-2018, 11:01 PM
kr98664
Posting Guru
kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.kr98664 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jkelley View Post
I took all the belts off and turned everything spun freely
I think the suggestion was to run the engine (briefly) with all belts removed. That should give solid evidence if the screeching is internal or external. The clattering (low oil pressure?) may be a separate issue.

You should be able to run a cold engine for several minutes with all drive belts removed. Keep a close eye on the temperature, as there will be no coolant circulation without the water pump in motion. Obviously shut it down if any unusual noises occur. I just wonder if the screech is caused by one of the belt-driven accessories, or even from a slipping belt.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:12 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Jkelley View Post
Question on my 300 inline 6 the negative battery cable it bolts to the starter bolt and not the frame or block ..Correct ?
yes ground goes to frame with a tab in center of cable and then starter bolt.

Originally Posted by kr98664 View Post
I think the suggestion was to run the engine (briefly) with all belts removed. That should give solid evidence if the screeching is internal or external. The clattering (low oil pressure?) may be a separate issue.

You should be able to run a cold engine for several minutes with all drive belts removed. Keep a close eye on the temperature, as there will be no coolant circulation without the water pump in motion. Obviously shut it down if any unusual noises occur. I just wonder if the screech is caused by one of the belt-driven accessories, or even from a slipping belt.
if the air pimp is still on it could be the cause of slow turn over and screeching if it is locked up.
yes pull all belts and give it a try.
Dave - - - -

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 300 inline 6 Sounds like and Diesel!! ..HELP ...UPDATE

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.