2018 F150s fuel used vs MTE - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

2018 F150s fuel used vs MTE

Old 01-23-2018, 12:28 PM
Senior User

tuckr2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2018 F150s fuel used vs MTE

Title error sorry. S/B 2018
New truck in November. Love the truck- not so much dash fuel display choices. My 2011 f150 displayed fuel used. Once I put on a larger tire the gauge was accurate to within 1-2 tenths of a gallon. Personally, I like to fuel up my 36 gallon fuel tank between 26-28 gallons. Leaves a nice big reserve.
My new 2018 leaves me guessing until the i fill up. The MTE or Miles to Empty is not accurate. I have taken this to over 60 miles below MTE empty before the low fuel light came on. This accuracy makes me nervous. MTE is dependent on driving habits, towing, etc.. It appears to take its current information from the prior tank.
I know over the years many have complained about the gauge accuracy but this is a better tool for knowing exact minimums when determining time to fuel up. Current device can cause issues when say pulling a travel trailer. Additionally, some folks use it as a barometer to potential issues on our vehicles.
I’m not looking for fill it up at 80-100 MTE I’m looking to state this so that maybe a Ford rep will consider adding this as an update on vehicles.

Last edited by tuckr2; 01-23-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Oops meant 2018- won’t let me edit the description
Old 01-23-2018, 12:56 PM
Posting Guru

shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.shortride has a very good reputation on FTE.
My 2018 is getting around 16.5 MPG in town. I haven't calculated any actual MPG for highway driving yet. My F-150 has a 36 gallon fuel tank and it seems like it takes forever to use it all up. I'm confident that over 700 MTE isn't realistic. I don't let the fuel level get lower than 1/4 tank. I doubt I'll ever find out what the true MTE is.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM
New User

Tx.Hoon is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't understand the point of the thread. Just fill up at a 1/4 tank and you will still have 9ish gallons left.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 PM
Senior User

CR172 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx.Hoon View Post
I don't understand the point of the thread. Just fill up at a 1/4 tank and you will still have 9ish gallons left.
Good point. And to the OP, my XLT displays gals used in the trip display windows.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post
Good point. And to the OP, my XLT displays gals used in the trip display windows.
On the 2018 it doesn’t show fuel/gals used- it only shows miles to empty. I wouldn’t have posted had Ford not changed it.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:04 PM
Postmaster

JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.JKBrad has a great reputation on FTE.
I believe that can be changed with Forscan.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Posting Guru

msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR172 View Post

2016 and above no longer display gallons used.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
I believe that can be changed with Forscan.
So would I have to buy equipment or is this something I might be able to get the dealer to do?
While it may not be absolutely necessary the fact that I had it and loved it in my 2011 - heck I never even use the fuel gauge- Iíd love to have it again. No guessing at how much fuel is in the tank.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:56 PM
Freshman User

17350kr is starting off with a positive reputation.
just a FYI you can change the calculated miles to empty for standard or towing. It will account a lower gas milage and thus give you a lower Miles till empty estimate.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:50 PM
Senior User

storage_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckr2 View Post
So would I have to buy equipment or is this something I might be able to get the dealer to do?
While it may not be absolutely necessary the fact that I had it and loved it in my 2011 - heck I never even use the fuel gauge- Iíd love to have it again. No guessing at how much fuel is in the tank.

I'm sorry but if you were betting on the display telling you exactly how many gallons you have left, I would guess your lucky you haven't run out of fuel previously. The only true way of calculating this is to perform a test run w/full tank, pulling the same trailer, same weight, over the same road. Stop when he tank show 1/2. Refill the tank, hand calculate the miles traveled vs the # of gals of fuel used. That is your baseline.

Then you should be able to calculate probably within 1+2 gallons your distance based on your mileage ! How ever if there is tail wind/head wind, your mileage will vary a bunch.

For me if the gauge shows 1/4, I would be looking for the next station except for long stretches of desert highways that I travel on where the next station is 100 miles away. Then its 1/2 tank when I start looking again.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Posting Guru

msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
Get a Scanguage II. It's about as accurate as you can get.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storage_man View Post
I'm sorry but if you were betting on the display telling you exactly how many gallons you have left, I would guess your lucky you haven't run out of fuel previously. The only true way of calculating this is to perform a test run w/full tank, pulling the same trailer, same weight, over the same road. Stop when he tank show 1/2. Refill the tank, hand calculate the miles traveled vs the # of gals of fuel used. That is your baseline.

Then you should be able to calculate probably within 1+2 gallons your distance based on your mileage ! How ever if there is tail wind/head wind, your mileage will vary a bunch.

For me if the gauge shows 1/4, I would be looking for the next station except for long stretches of desert highways that I travel on where the next station is 100 miles away. Then its 1/2 tank when I start looking again.

Iíll try this again. Why bother using the fuel gauge when on the older trucks such as my 2011 the digital display on the dash would State exactly how much fuel is used- ex: 14.2 gallons. Didnít matter whether you were towing or not, it told you gallons up to about 2 tenths accuracy. Looking at your regular fuel gauge stating 1/4 or 1/2 full probably has an accuracy of about 5 gallons and the digital display on our newer trucks now only tells you Miles to Empty or MTE which is about as useful as a toilet paper with a hole in the middle.
I donít bet on how many miles I have left which was why my preference to the older display was and is preferred over the newer MTE display. Just means Iíll never have accurate comparisons as the MTE is Always based in the prior tank.
If I canít get this back Iíll survive. Iíll just go back to the inaccurate fuel gage +/- 5 gallons.
Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 PM
Elder User

scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.scott91370 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's odd. When my fuel gauge says 1/4 tank and I fill up it's almost always right at 27 gallons I put in.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Posting Guru

GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.GlueGuy has a good reputation on FTE.
The fuel gauge on my truck is pretty accurate. As accurate as I need anyway. So when the gauge dips below 1/4 tank, I start thinking about filling up.

The MTE display is interesting, but I don't hang my hat on it. As others have noted, the MTE is highly dependent on what's been happening lately, and it makes the assumption that what's happening now will continue to happen. Usually, it doesn't. I can't tell you how many times I have started driving with 100 miles to empty, and after driving 10 miles, suddenly it's telling me I have 150 mile to empty. Yeah right. Keep smokin' that whacky weed.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:15 PM
Posting Guru

Take a look at the Scanguage or torque pro, or any of the other systems to give you the what you want.

https://www.scangauge.com