5th wheel slider hitch opinion - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

5th wheel slider hitch opinion

Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM
helifixer
Post Fiend
helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
5th wheel slider hitch opinion

looking at getting a slider hitch for my truck,
I currently tow my 23' with a goose neck adapter
My son doesn't want to make payments on the 32' triple slide I bought for him so I will be getting it back.
I don't want to put the adapter on that big of a trailer so I am looking at slider hitches

Demco Autoslide Hitch https://www.demco-products.com/rv-to...ker/autoslide/
Pullrite Super glide SuperGlide 20K | Fifth Wheel Hitches by PullRite
these are the 2 that look to be the best to me but would like some real world experience from anyone who has used one.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
I have run the demco autoslide for two seasons now. Its work flawlessly. both of those hitches are heavy though, you'll either need a chain hoist, or someone to help you lift it in. If the truck in your sig pic is the one your towing with, it looks like it may be a longbed? If so, no slider should be needed. In fact, a lot of guys with SB's dont use slider either. I chose to, because it was my first 5th wheel, and wanted the extra room for newbie mistakes.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:57 PM
rajones19
Junior User
rajones19 has a good reputation on FTE.rajones19 has a good reputation on FTE.
I pulled with the SuperGlide (16K version) for 10 years, and it was great. No complaints whatsoever. It is heavy - once it was in the truck, it never came out until I sold the truck. At the time I was pulling with a 2002 SCSB, so the slider was a necessity. Now with the LB DRW, I've gone to a Curt 25K, which is lighter and a lot more compact. Somebody on Craig's List got a pretty good deal on the SuperGlide. He was putting it in a small Toyota pickup. I'd love to see what it looks like installed; the hitch was about 3/4 the size of the bed.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 PM
CPaulsen
Senior User
CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.CPaulsen has a good reputation on FTE.
I bit the bullet and bought the Pullrite Superglide with the underbed mounting system and have no regrets whatsoever.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:51 PM
Jonesey98
New User
Jonesey98 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Jonesey98 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I bought the Demco Autoslide in October. Currently, it has been used ONCE, to bring home the new trailer, other than that. its sitting there in the back of my truck adding 220lbs of weight for our snow season (I have a soft tonneau cover) I can say this for the 10 miles it pulled the camper home it was nice. The service people at the RV Dealer were impressed with how much of an angle I could get. and I am glad I have a slider, as where I park it, I almost have to take it to 80 degrees (maybe not that bad but it sure feels that way, and I am not worried about a broken rear window. I am excited for April to get here, to start camping season. I would recommend it. but as the other stated, it's a heavy SOB, and you will need help. I bought one of those hitch cranes, and while its ok. I think I'm going to go to a life in my garage to take it in and out. Although, I honestly just keep the hitch in the bed. if I really need a truck bed that bad, I can use my DW F150 (my old truck that she wanted to keep) or use my little 5x8 trailer (thought with the F350 looks like I'm pulling an ant)

Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 AM
mrgrayaz
Senior User
mrgrayaz is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your going manual slider I have a Curt Q16 (A16 now). Nice unit, fairly light. No issues.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:45 AM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I had a Reese 20K slider in my SB when I got my fifth wheel and never used the slider option. I wanted to use the bed several times and hauling that thing out was a two man job at least. Got a Andersen Ultimate and haven't looked back. I can pull my FW with no clearance issues and removing / install is just me. Just an alternative to a slider

Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM
defekticon
Senior User
defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.defekticon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Look at the AUH. I used it with my Shortbed (6.8 ft) F-250. Worked well, and kept the pin weight about 230lbs lighter than the B&W Slider I had previously. Moved it over to the F-350 when I sold the Shortbed truck with one hand.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 PM
kansas gary
Senior User
kansas gary is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the Demco slider in my 2016 with 6 1/2 ft. bed. No issues at all with it. One draw back is the weight though way to heavy for one person in be taking it in and out all the time.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:45 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.
I put a Draw-Tite manual slider in my '06 CCSB and never needed it once in the 5 years I had the truck, with 2 different trailers. That includes pulling our current 37' to Alaska and back. If the trailer has a radiused nose and an extended pin box you're probably fine. I'd see if you actually need it before buying one. The "problem" I have with the SuperGlide is it requires an indexing pin that precludes a standard hitch truck from towing it. Don't know about Demco.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:48 AM
helifixer
Post Fiend
helifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputationhelifixer has a superb reputation
my truck is a short bed so I either have to have an extended pin box or a slider hitch.
weight is not a problem for removing the hitch as I have 2 forklifts.
I am going to look at a demco 18,000 slider Saturday, I can get it for $550.00. it was used less than 1 year.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM
helifixer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by P.Bronner View Post
I put a Draw-Tite manual slider in my '06 CCSB and never needed it once in the 5 years I had the truck, with 2 different trailers. That includes pulling our current 37' to Alaska and back. If the trailer has a radiused nose and an extended pin box you're probably fine. I'd see if you actually need it before buying one. The "problem" I have with the SuperGlide is it requires an indexing pin that precludes a standard hitch truck from towing it. Don't know about Demco.
the demco has side capture plates that hold the pin box. it can tow any 5th wheel as there is nothing mounted to the pin box.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:25 AM
P.Bronner
Elder User
P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.P.Bronner has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by helifixer View Post
the demco has side capture plates that hold the pin box. it can tow any 5th wheel as there is nothing mounted to the pin box.
Good to know. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2018, 10:13 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by helifixer View Post
This is almost true. If you have a Mor/ryde rubberized pinbox, then there is a capture plate required. Otherwise any standard pinbox does NOT require capture plate. Just make sure that the side capture plates are on the hitch when you buy it. since I run the Mor/ryde with the plate installed on it, I removed the side plates as they were not needed.

I'd encourage you to find the demco website, and pull down the manual and get familiar with it before buying. I have the 21K version, that fits into the ford fifth wheel prep pucks. if you dont have that, you might have to get rails installed too.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:19 PM
helifixer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
This is almost true. If you have a Mor/ryde rubberized pinbox, then there is a capture plate required. Otherwise any standard pinbox does NOT require capture plate. Just make sure that the side capture plates are on the hitch when you buy it. since I run the Mor/ryde with the plate installed on it, I removed the side plates as they were not needed.

I'd encourage you to find the demco website, and pull down the manual and get familiar with it before buying. I have the 21K version, that fits into the ford fifth wheel prep pucks. if you dont have that, you might have to get rails installed too.
thanks
I have spent hours on their web site and on the phone with them. I am ordering under bed rails next week. they don't make them for the '97 but after getting the engineering from demco I can make the 2000 rails work.