Well crud...Ferret Instruments out of business...now what? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Reload this Page >

Well crud...Ferret Instruments out of business...now what?

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 AM
urbex
Senior User
urbex is starting off with a positive reputation.

I finally get the old truck running well enough that I feel like it might be worth dropping the coin on a new pump and injectors, along with buying the Ferret adapter...and find that apparently GXT, the parent company of Ferret Instruments, has closed it doors as of October last year - Automotive Diagnostics Supplier GXT, Inc. Automotive Service Equipment Aftermarket

Ok, now what? Are we back to hoping we find someone close by with proper equipment, or taking a chance on an ancient Rotunda eBay deal? I have a PM from one guy that is willing to lend me his, but it requires shipping, and if I'm going to keep the truck around, I prefer to have tools sitting in my box to use whenever the need arises.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:07 PM
FordTruckfan89
Elder User
FordTruckfan89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Apparently a gunson 77089 is a similar type timing adapter

Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
genscripter is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Crap. If I had known about this, i would have bought a case of them and sold them on Ebay for a few hundred bucks each.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:54 PM
urbex
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89 View Post
Apparently a gunson 77089 is a similar type timing adapter
Sure looks like it. Although, with the exception of one Amazon listing I found, it also looks like they're all coming out of the UK. On the upside, there's a few eBay listings right around $200 shipped to the USA, so price wise it's the same as the Ferret, potentially closer to $160 if the seller can knock off the VAT. Downside is that I can't find squat on what duties I might get to pay on this side of the shipment if US Customs pulls it. It's been so long since I've ordered anything from overseas I can't remember what the criteria or cost is any more. The one I found on Amazon is almost $70 more, and given the location of the seller, I suspect that it too would be getting shipped out of the UK anyways.

I sent one of the sellers a message asking if VAT can be removed at sale time. Once he responds, I'll likely order one up either way..just figured I'd wait to make sure there isn't something I need to do, like add a note on the payment page saying it's going to the USA.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 PM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.
This is what happens when people don't buy products, demand gets low enough that they stop making them. Glad I got mine shortly after I got the truck. Hopefully it lasts my lifetime. At least there may be an alternative though.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:42 PM
DarkOverCast
Senior User
DarkOverCast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
Crap. If I had known about this, i would have bought a case of them and sold them on Ebay for a few hundred bucks each.
It's thoughts like this that make the world a dark place

Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast View Post
Why? What's the alternative? We either have none to buy or some to buy at a slightly higher price than when they were in production. I'd rather take the latter.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Post Fiend
hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by DarkOverCast View Post
What, should they all be distributed for free? Supply vs. demand

Old 01-23-2018, 10:31 AM
urbex
Senior User
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I sent one of the sellers a message asking if VAT can be removed at sale time. Once he responds, I'll likely order one up either way..just figured I'd wait to make sure there isn't something I need to do, like add a note on the payment page saying it's going to the USA.
He messaged me this morning with a link to a listing with VAT removed, based on this auction - Gunson-77089-Diesel-Adaptor-For-Timing-Lights/281589394900 I forgot what the updated price was, but the total ended up being $163.09US shipped. I bought it.

I figure even if I do get nailed with a duty or taxes from customs, I doubt it will end up being a massive amount, and shouldn't be any more than what I would have paid for a Ferret anyways. That said, I STILL can't find squat on what I should expect to be paying if a duty does get levied on it, other than "duties and fees vary based on what the imported items are and mode of transport" from the customs web page. Yay for being helpful, government folk

So once this thing arrives, I'll (hopefully) finally be able to check/adjust timing on this old thing properly. I'll update again once it shows up. ETA Feb 1-Feb 9.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 AM
DarkOverCast
Senior User
DarkOverCast is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
He messaged me this morning with a link to a listing with VAT removed, based on this auction - Gunson-77089-Diesel-Adaptor-For-Timing-Lights/281589394900 I forgot what the updated price was, but the total ended up being $163.09US shipped. I bought it.

I figure even if I do get nailed with a duty or taxes from customs, I doubt it will end up being a massive amount, and shouldn't be any more than what I would have paid for a Ferret anyways. That said, I STILL can't find squat on what I should expect to be paying if a duty does get levied on it, other than "duties and fees vary based on what the imported items are and mode of transport" from the customs web page. Yay for being helpful, government folk

So once this thing arrives, I'll (hopefully) finally be able to check/adjust timing on this old thing properly. I'll update again once it shows up. ETA Feb 1-Feb 9.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, I've ordered various hard to find parts for various heavy equipment from eastern Europe and have never had customs contact me about any "duties" not saying it isn't possible, but I don't think it's as frequent as people assume.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Chevy_Eater
Postmaster
Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle View Post
What, should they all be distributed for free? Supply vs. demand
I suppose if your cell phone is free your pulse timing adapter should be as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Olds64
Elder User
Olds64 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bummer.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:59 PM
genscripter
Posting Guru
Does anyone have the specs on the ferret adapter? Since this thing is just detecting some kind of electrical change in the injector line (Like resistance, capacitance, etc), and then converting it to a signal for the timing gun, this shouldn't be too hard to recreate. If I could get ahold of a spec or elec drawings from Ferret Instruments, I could rebuild it. It wouldnt' look as sexy as the black case, but I could definitely build one in a standard circuit board with an LED to indicate signal.

I tried calling the remaining phone number for FI, but no one is answering and the message service doesn't function either.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:00 PM
FordTruckfan89
Elder User
FordTruckfan89 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I ordered a ferret one last night from a site that shows them in stock for $227. I'll let you know if it comes in. If not, I'll get a gunson 77089.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:09 PM
bart f-350
Senior User
bart f-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post

I tried calling the remaining phone number for FI, but no one is answering and the message service doesn't function either.
The best way to get rid of people who think they have a claim on you....
(since they can claim until April 2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well crud...Ferret Instruments out of business...now what?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.