6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

5 injectors later & still has highway speed shudder

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tampa250
I'll work on getting a fuel pressure gauge on the truck within the next couple of days. In the meantime if you guys would humor me, for nothing more than the discussion and knowledge, does my symptom sound like it could be fuel pressure related? My theory is that at the higher highway speeds my fuel system is not able to keep up with the VOLUME of fuel required. Due to my lift I know my truck works harder to stay at 78 MPH- running right at 2k RPMs at that speed. 67 mph on the way home the other night for a longer distance than what caused the issue at 78 MPH was not an issue at all.

Around town this thing runs phenomenally since the injectors were replaced. Off the line acceleration is great, cold weather operation is now better than ever, etc. It's only the high speeds that are an issue which is leading me to suspect fuel pressure/volume.

Thanks for the discussion, guys. We'll back this up with some fuel pressure numbers soon enough, that pesky work thing just gets in the way.
Your thinking is correct,the pressure can be fine around town but under load a diff story,also go one better,the fuel pump can show 70 when cold but after running few hrs can show alot lower from a worn pump, alot put a blue spring in and ck cold and it shows 65-70lbs and take the gauge off and forget about it untill probs arise and ck pressures again cold,shows good but dont recheck after running few hrs to know true pressure.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wedge542
Your thinking is correct,the pressure can be fine around town but under load a diff story,also go one better,the fuel pump can show 70 when cold but after running few hrs can show alot lower from a worn pump, alot put a blue spring in and ck cold and it shows 65-70lbs and take the gauge off and forget about it untill probs arise and ck pressures again cold,shows good but dont recheck after running few hrs to know true pressure.
Thanks for the reassurance that my theory holds water. I will have a pressure gauge on the truck hopefully some time today. What pressures should I be looking for at idle and under load? I'm trying to see if I can get one of our shop techs to get the gauge on the truck during the workday so I can go for a lunchtime road test. If this thing ends up needing a fuel pump I'd like to track it down today and install it after work tonight.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Blue spring should yield 65-70lbs

Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
Well gentlemen, it is definitely fuel pressure. Got the gauge hooked up just a short time ago and it's only hitting about 38 psi. Under load it drops a few pounds from there so I am rectifying this before any more driving.

With new filters installed Monday night and a blue spring (has been in there for years), I suppose this means a fuel pump but is there anything I need to check in regards to the regulator? I just don't want to make a wrong turn here.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Pull the regulator out and ck the rubber seal on the plunger, look at the spring to see if warped, put it back together if all looks good and reck pressure again,if low get a pump asembley so you have the updated system.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Tampa250
Tuned
I'd like to get this rectified today if possible, and I'm having a tough time finding a Racor pump in town. I know that seems to be the preferred brand around here but is it absolutely critical to find one of those. Napa has a Carter brand pump in stock right down the street. I would order the Racor online but don't want to deal with the wait time.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 AM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Being its a local big box store,you will get a lifetime warranty good anyplace,keep a pressure gauge on truck always,see it get low,replace pump under warranty, no shipping no waiting no stress.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Being its a local big box store,you will get a lifetime warranty good anyplace,keep a pressure gauge on truck always,see it get low,replace pump under warranty, no shipping no waiting no stress.

Good point- should have considered that when I replaced it the first time 90,000 miles ago. Went ahead and ordered the Napa/Carter pump and it will be delivered here shortly. Thanks for pointing out the warranty aspect- nice to know that this will be the last time I pay for a fuel pump.

I will report back after the pump installation with results.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:00 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tampa250
Good point- should have considered that when I replaced it the first time 90,000 miles ago. Went ahead and ordered the Napa/Carter pump and it will be delivered here shortly. Thanks for pointing out the warranty aspect- nice to know that this will be the last time I pay for a fuel pump.

I will report back after the pump installation with results.
Glad to hear you're on the right track.

I would advise three complete priming cycles(let the pump build pressure each time and shut off) once it's back together before you start it.
It's also a good time to check for leaks since you don't have the danger of a live truck.

I would dare say this might have been, or at least contributed to the injector issues originally.......cold weather may have also been a factor that possibly caused the pump to get that weak if you had some restriction at the filter, even though it was not a bad blockage(if one acutally existed)

Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
The "Carter" pump is most likely a private labeled Racor since Racor holds all the patents. But just because you replaced that spring before doesn't mean you don't have spring/regulator issues.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
The "Carter" pump is most likely a private labeled Racor since Racor holds all the patents. But just because you replaced that spring before doesn't mean you don't have spring/regulator issues.
Interestingly enough, there is a warranty card in the box that makes mention of Airtex. I know that sometimes places like Napa will use one warranty card for multiple purposes but you never know. On their website it does say that the fuel pumps are Carter, so who knows what the deal is. I'll be headed into the shop within the hour to start changing this pump out and will follow up with post-installation fuel pressure readings.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:35 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
UPDATE- I'm in the shop at work and just got done installing the new fuel pump and unfortunately the problem is still here. Fuel pressure didn't improve at all. After running the truck for a few minutes to see if it just needed to purge more air out of the system, I noticed diesel dripping from under the vehicle. A closer inspection finds that the fuel pressure regulator cover appears to be leaking. I don't believe this was happening before the new pump, but who knows. Maybe it was slightly leaking undetected before but the new pump is bringing about this issue? For a while there was a pretty steady drip under the truck and then over time it seemed to slow down but when I checked the underside of that cover with my finger there is definitely diesel there. Even after cleaning it off.

For a while I was noticing the fuel pressure would start at 34 and then climb to about 37 or 38 and then tick right back down to 34 and climb back up to 37 or 38 again and then check back down. Then it stopped doing that. What the hell is going on here? This has been a terrible couple of weeks with this truck and I'm running out of patience and funds. There's nothing left that could be affecting fuel pressure except the regulator, correct? As I mentioned earlier in this thread this truck does have the blue spring upgrade but it has been in the truck for God knows how long now – probably 10 years. Is something going on behind that cover? I know I at least need to replace the O-ring on the cover but I'm sure you can't get that by itself so am I buying another complete blue spring kit?
If you guys can relate I'm just soaked in diesel and greasy here in the shop at work after a 10 hour workday and I'm frazzled. I'm going to head home and take a shower and hopefully back in here and have some good information from you guys. Thanks so much for the support – it's a good feeling knowing I've got guys here that can help me think this through.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:41 PM
wedge542
Laughing Gas
Well,if the fuel pressure regulator cover is leaking id think you need to pull it off and ck it before even buying a pump as the seal on the plunger can be bad,the spring be bad,but now you know you got a good pump so leak needs fixed then go from there.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:10 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
You need to step back.

A. Is the fuel gauge reading correctly? Check it's calibration against another gauge or known pressure source.

B. Pull the reg and make sure it's assembled correctly, seals haven't been screwed, and maybe replace it with new.

C. If neither of the two then pull the supply line from the tank off the HFCM and substitude the line with 3/8" hose feeding from a can or tank of fuel. Engine doesn't have to be started, you just need the 20 seconds of pump running. If pressure's up, then you need to lookin the tank.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Tampa250
Tuned
Well,if the fuel pressure regulator cover is leaking id think you need to pull it off and ck it before even buying a pump as the seal on the plunger can be bad,the spring be bad,but now you know you got a good pump so leak needs fixed then go from there.
After re-reading my post I believe you may have gotten the impression that I was saying that the regulator cover was leaking prior to replacing the fuel pump and that is not the case. What I was trying to say is that to my knowledge it was not leaking prior to replacing this fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 5 injectors later & still has highway speed shudder