Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Cold Starts Rough cold idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Bobb8791
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard Cold Starts Rough cold idle

Ive got a 95' F-150 EB 5.8l 4WD auto w/44k Miles on it.
Purchased from a dealer about 4 months ago w/ 1 month drive train warrenty. So as luck would have it about 2 months ago it started giving me problems starting. When I attemp to start the truck, It uasaluy sputters once and dies, and when I hit the key again it cranks good but wont turn over. If I hit the throttle while cranking it will Then fire (dont like to do this and shouldnt have to being that its fuel injected). This will usaully cause a large puff of black smoke but it will run. Finally until it warms up completely idle is rough and when Im driving it feels like the engine drops out every once in a while but usaully doesnt stall(I can watch the rpms drop breifly while accelerating. I've even had it stall a few times. Yesterday when I started it , the check engine light came on for about 60 secs and then went out. This was strange because even though the start problems have been occuring for the last 2 months, this was the first time that the check engine light came on. Have Replaced air intake temp sensor, air bypass valve and nothing changed. Took it to a dealer after scheduling an appoint ment two weeks in advance. They had it 3 days and couldn't figure it out. I know that what ever it is the solution is simple, but I need to be pointed in the right direction. Sorry about the long message but I wanted to make sure all details were stated.
78 Ford f250
88 Mustang 5oh ho
95 f150 eb