Anyone else loose the turbo v band bolt? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Anyone else loose the turbo v band bolt?

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 01-21-2018, 04:09 PM
T-wood
Senior User
T-wood is starting off with a positive reputation.

I know it's a terrible ?. But in the middle of uppipes. I lost the bolt for the v band clamp from turbo to collector. I had to remove it to get it out. I heard it fall. I've looked everywhere...what I need to do is turn the truck upside down and shake it!

Alright flame on....and any suggestions appreciated.

B

Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Look on top of the tranny.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:57 PM
T-wood
Senior User
T-wood is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did. I looked for it topside...felt around from below. Crawled all over looking. After an hour of this I gave up. Napa had an exhaust clamp that looked exactly like it. So 35$ later I'm back at it.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:44 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
mechanics mirror on stick is how i usually end up finding lost hardware

similar to this
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-21-2018, 05:49 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
There is an outfit that specializes in hardware of all kinds. I think it is called Fastenall but I am not sure. Brain f**t at the moment.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:22 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
I dropped a short 8mm socket years ago changing out the DS battery. Found it last fall sitting inside the frame rail when I was looking for the longer 8mm socket I had just dropped...

Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Not on the truck, but still a funny story.

Years ago I drove a 1997 Supercharged Grand Prix. I was changing the oil and knocked the oil fill cap off the top of the engine. It did not hit the floor. I looked for a very long time for that thing, and never did find it. I had a buddy drive me to the nearest Napa and bought a filler cap that would fit the common 3.8 liter. 3 years or so later I was changing out one of the headlight housings and found the cap lodged between the sub-frame and the radiator...

I picked it out of there and laughed at it for a second, then threw it at the trash can nearly as hard as I could...

Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Walleye Hunter
Postmaster
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
It is amazing how far and in what direction stuff will travel when dropped. When I'm at my wit's end and trying to find something that fell I take something as similar to it as I can find and drop it the best I can in the manner which the first one fell. I have found a few lost articles that way, not all but some.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:00 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
The extended bolt for the p/s valve cover, the ones that the GPR mounts to. I dropped one over the exhaust manifold, never found it. So I did what you said, drop the other. I now have two studs with nuts holding the GPR in place.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 AM
Tugly
Post Fiend
Tugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputationTugly has a superb reputation
I have a magnet extension that's pretty powerful, and I keep it at the ready every time I work over the engine. That thing gets its fair share of use... it's strong enough to retrieve the wrenches I drop.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM
friskyjake
Senior User
friskyjake is starting off with a positive reputation.
Magnet

I know this story does not relate to bolts & nuts. Way back in 1974 I ordered a new ford f250 4x4 auto xlt truck. I came with a 360 fe engine, I drove it home to the shop[12 miles] & pulled the engine & replaced it with a 1968 fe 427 side oiler engine. I did not care about warranty then. After getting use to the truck , I did some hard burn outs. Wow with 4.10 & fords posi it was quite exciting till I broke a L side axle . Anyways to get some of the axle junk out I needed a magnet. Well I needed a a really strong one to pull some of the big pieces out. I found a telescope magnet that will lift a 3ilb weight. It worked. I keep the magnet covered with a 1 inch heater hose & it stays in my truck. Now I,m a lot older & I don,t do that with my powerstroke f350. Thanks for reading, Friskeyjake