Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 F150 - no power to fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
R202INT
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 F150 - no power to fuel pumps

Hello,
Have a 95 Ford that I bought, not running, but real clean and straight. Been sitting up for a year or so. Cannot get any action out of either fuel pump. Tried grounding the pumps through the diagnostic link, but nothing. Checked all of fuses, nothing. Cleaned the ground cable behind the battery, and cleaned the one on the LH side of the radiator support, which is shown to be the ground for the pumps. Can't get any power to the tank switch either. This is the 3rd truck, all F150's, 93--94-95, and its apparently the same problem. The only written material I have is a Chilton manual, which is about one notch above "Dick and Jane". I also checked the inertia switch, but the "manual" does not make it clear what position the button should be in, up or down. Have tested for power, both ways, and at this point, it doesn't matter. I realize I am dealing with this computerized "space age" machinery, to put it politely, but surely there must be a way to properly troubleshoot this particular part of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 AM
sowder
Senior User
Button should be pushed in (down) have you checked the relay? and the hot wire at the relay? mine was all green and broken off there. this happened on a couple of my F 250's

Old 08-01-2008, 11:00 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by R202INT
Hello,
Tried grounding the pumps through the diagnostic link, but nothing. I realize I am dealing with this computerized "space age" machinery, to put it politely, but surely there must be a way to properly troubleshoot this particular part of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
When you ground this point you have bypassed the computerized "space age" machinery.
This is a very simply circuit once you ground that point (pin #6 of the diagnostic link).
The fuel pump relay should click when you ground it and click again when you remove the ground with the key on.
If it does not check to see if the PCM power relay is clicking when you turn on the key.
Do you need a diagram?
If so email me.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:26 PM
R202INT
Freshman User
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the info. Just a couple of dumb questions - when you say "relay", where, exactly, is the location of this? And yes, when you ground out the pumps, I can hear a relay click, but still no power to the pumps. I can't believe that out of 3 trucks and 6 pumps, that they are all bad.......

Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 PM
RiverRat1964
Freshman User
Relay is on driverside wheel well, under the hood, marked "FUEL PUMP RELAY", it's a square black box looking thing, you can't miss it.... (Thats where it is on my 91 F150, anyway.....)

Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
The relays:

Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 PM
R202INT
Freshman User
Oh man!!!! They say a picture is worth a thousand words ! So true, so true! Thanks so much. Now, are these relays prone to failure fairly often? And, for test purposes, can you interchange the fuel pump relay with, say, the horn relay, just to verify if it's the problem ? Or, do you have to have a new relay specifically for the fuel pumps? Now that I'm on the same page with ya'll, what's my next move ? You don't know how much I appreciate ya'll's help.

Thanks,
John

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Now, are these relays prone to failure fairly often?
They can and do get replaced a lot but I do think they have failure very often.
And, for test purposes, can you interchange the fuel pump relay with, say, the horn relay, just to verify if it's the problem ?
Yes you can.
Or, do you have to have a new relay specifically for the fuel pumps?
No they are the same.
Now that I'm on the same page with ya'll, what's my next move ?
Check for power at the fuel pump supply fuse with a test light (never use a meter in this circuit it will lie to you) at the little silver places on both side of the fuse with out taking it out.
If good swap the the relay with the horn relay and toot the horn.
If the fuel pump relay clicks when you ground pin #6 of the test connector with the key on then the PCM power relay is OK.
As you can see in the diagram below if you have power at the fuel pump supply fuse and the fuel pump relay clicks when you ground pin #6 there is only a wire between the fuel pump relay and the Inertia switch.
Let me know what you find.

Old 09-13-2020, 08:38 AM
95f150rustbox
New User
Same issue

hey subford I’m having a similar issue truck was sitting for a year or two. Not getting any ground to power the fuel pump. Test lighted everything all fuses are good but no power to the pump. I have a single tank straight 6 f150 1995 manual and can’t seem to get the pump to turn on. I bought a new one but also can’t get the tank dropped because the bolts are locked and stripped and rusted trying to get it running so that I can start fixing it up and drive it but no fuel comming through the system.

Originally Posted by subford
When you ground this point you have bypassed the computerized "space age" machinery.
This is a very simply circuit once you ground that point (pin #6 of the diagnostic link).
The fuel pump relay should click when you ground it and click again when you remove the ground with the key on.
If it does not check to see if the PCM power relay is clicking when you turn on the key.
Do you need a diagram?
If so email me.

Old 01-03-2021, 11:40 AM
Malo one
New User
Help trouble shoot

Hello,
Have a 95 Ford that I bought, not running, but real clean and straight. Been sitting up for a year or so. Cannot get any action out of either fuel pump. Tried grounding the pumps through the diagnostic link, but nothing. Checked all of fuses, nothing. Cleaned the ground cable behind the battery, and cleaned the one on the LH side of the radiator support, which is shown to be the ground for the pumps. Can't get any power to the tank switch either. This is the 3rd truck, all F150's, 93--94-95, and its apparently the same problem. The only written material I have is a Chilton manual, which is about one notch above "Dick and Jane". I also checked the inertia switch, but the "manual" does not make it clear what position the button should be in, up or down. Have tested for power, both ways, and at this point, it doesn't matter. I realize I am dealing with this computerized "space age" machinery, to put it politely, but surely there must be a way to properly troubleshoot this particular part of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I am having same problem . But I have no power to any relays. Truck turns over and the dash works but not ac or heater fan