Hesitation, stalling, and white smoke - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hesitation, stalling, and white smoke

Old 01-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Senior User

McBusiness11 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hesitation, stalling, and white smoke

I have a 2005 f350 dually 6.0. It's 2 wheel drive. I drive for a living and the other day while driving it started losing power almost like it was running out of fuel. It eventually stalled on the side of the interstate, and after waiting a few minutes it cranked right back up and ran fine so I took off. Well, another 3 miles and it does it again, and again, and again, each time going less of a distance. So I stop on the 4th try and look at my fuel pump. It sounded weak, and when I removed the drain plug it hissed at me. The truck had been smoking a little all morning, but temps were right at zero. I pulled the upper fuel filter, turned the truck on, and it filled in a second or 2 but had bubbles in it. I have torque pro and all my values looked fine, hpop, icp voltage, EOT and coolant temp were only 6 degrees off. I've pulled #2 and #4 injectors to have tested. Reason being that I have a stored code for #2 balance and my #4 injector is an advanced auto brand. Any other ideas as to what could cause that? When I would try to crank it up after the 3rd or 4th time, I had a definite ticking on the driver side. I also had a low oil level. It was on the dipstick, just not nearly high enough.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Postmaster

navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Did you check the primary filter for waxing?
Sounds to me like it's gelled up. Odds are the primary is full of waxing.
Fuel been treated?

Gelling will take out injectors. I know of a Coop not far from here that got a bad load of fuel two weeks ago with the cold snap we had, and two 6.0's(and a bunch of other diesels that gelled only) that lost two injectors as a result of gelling even though they had both double dosed anti gel.

OEM remans are the only way to go with injectors, however that ticking is a little worrisome.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM
Senior User

I didn't have my 35mm socket to get the primary off. My first thought was actually waxing. The upper filter housing filled relatively well, but i guess as more fuel was needed it may have not made it up there fast enough. I sure hope that's what it is. Another thing that points me to waxing is the fact that it drove fine for about 100 miles, but as soon as I started climbing the plateau here in east TN, it started losing power. I assume the temp dropped just enough to wax it. Fingers crossed.

I've had the ticking on cold starts for some time. If I plug the truck in, it's fine. It's only when left out in low temps that it does it. I've been blaming it on my bad choice for injector #4, but I may be wrong. I was in a pinch and didn't have many options, and once it was in and ran fine, I left it.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:39 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
Bubbles in the upper fuel house usually means injector failure

Repeat the bubble test verify if bubbles are coming from a line to the heads or fuel pump

​​​​​​​
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.BLADE35 has a spectacular reputation.
X2 OEM Injectors
Old 01-22-2018, 10:00 AM
Senior User

I pulled 2 injectors out to have tested and the shop I called said they're "pretty sure" they have to be tested on the truck. Is that true? I obviously won't be taking anything to them, but I thought there should be a way to bench test them.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Postmaster

navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBusiness11 View Post
I pulled 2 injectors out to have tested and the shop I called said they're "pretty sure" they have to be tested on the truck. Is that true? I obviously won't be taking anything to them, but I thought there should be a way to bench test them.
Takes proprietary setup to bench test properly. The fact they don't really know tells me they don't seem to have a good grasp on many things 6.0 related.

Not a ton of shop do it since it's pretty much a buy remans and turn the cores in situation.

How did the bottom filter look?
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLADE35 View Post
Bubbles in the upper fuel house usually means injector failure

Repeat the bubble test verify if bubbles are coming from a line to the heads or fuel pump

​​​​​​​
He wasn't cranking it at the time, would this then mean he's getting a little fuel aeration? Or is it normal to see some bubbles on a simple bowl fill test with no cranking?
I've only done it once with KOEO and can't recall.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Post Fiend

I thought he was cranking

​​​​​​​Could go either way
Old 01-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Post Fiend

In the truck is real world test on inject you get correct amount for cylinder pressures or what the truck delivers pressure wise to the inject pintal
Old 01-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Senior User

No I was not cranking when I checked fuel fill at the top filter housing. Just KOEO, pump filling it. The bubbles were small and only enough to fill maybe 1/4 of the way around one side of the housing if that makes sense. I haven't been back to pull the lower filter yet, the truck is 75 miles away at a shop I work with. I will be there early tomorrow morning. I've got new seals for all 8 injectors if need be, however I may just reinstall these 2, reseal all 4 on that side and see if she will crank. The loss of oil is what worries me the most I believe. It's never lost oil before. I never add any oil between changes. So that's why I thought maybe a seal went bad on one or more injectors, causing oil to get into the cylinders, white smoke, and eventually loss of power.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Post Fiend

The truck shuts off if not enough oil

Is the oil in the coolant

Oil will not go into cylinder from inject alone to high psi

​​​​​​​Does it have egr valve
Old 01-22-2018, 04:48 PM
Senior User

EGR cooler has been deleted and EGR valve blocked off. It's been that way fo r about 60,000 miles now. No oil in coolant that I can see. Maybe it got too low on oil.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:26 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBusiness11 View Post
EGR cooler has been deleted and EGR valve blocked off. It's been that way fo r about 60,000 miles now. No oil in coolant that I can see. Maybe it got too low on oil.
Low oil will do it, yes.
I drove a 7.3 last fall during field work that got harder and harder to start, especially on a slight sidehill, finally figured out it was close to 2 gallons low on oil.......it's since blown up and parked behind the bunker with a few other deplorables.

I do wonder why it's been low......has it been smoking more than normal?
Any leak?
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Senior User

You know, I did notice it smoking a little the morning before this happened and the morning of. I haven't had a single drop of oil in my driveway. It usually just smokes a little bit at startup on cold mornings, but the 2 mornings before this happened, it seemed like it was smoking every time I hit the gas.