3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

Will That 3.0 Be Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:12 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 422 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by bbf385
The 6.7 seems to be an extremely reliable engine. I know several people with them and not one problem with them. Even looking at the forums here would suggest very few problems.
Look at the 7.3 forums. In an obs truck they are dogs and at 20+ years old they have regular problems.

Will the 3.0 be reliable? Yeah, if looking at the 6.7 as an example of Ford's mondern diesel engines and their reliability
The 3.0 is a completely different design and shares nothing with the 6.7. The 6.7 is a well built engine with gear to gear timing and 6 bolt per cylinder heads, unfortunately 90% of the problems with the 6.7 are emissions related, the same goes for the 6.7 Cummins, and 6.6 Duramax , all three of these engines are very reliable once the emissions equipment is deleted. The 3.0 doesn't look like it would be a good engine even if it didn't have any emissions controls, it is a junk European design that uses belt driven timing which doesn't belong on a diesel in my opinion, then when you add all of the emissions controls it has it will be a nightmare waiting to happen. Yes 20 year old 7.3 trucks have problems due to age and mileage but they are cheap and simple to fix compared to the newer stuff, and Ford has yet to offer another engine that can regularly go the miles a 7.3 can, and they probably never will due to the epa and all the required emissions controls, along with all the cheaply made electronics and other equipment. Sadly many vehicles sold today are only designed to last until the warranty expires.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I really like the mileage and the low rpm torque a diesel offers but as mentioned earlier; if the 3.0 has a timing belt....what, go inside every 40-50 k and replace it to keep the engine from self-destructing.

Those 3.5 ecoboosts seem to have what it takes to tow....low enough rpms for a gasser, for good torque (about 3500) and somewhat decent mileage.

Ram has shelved their 3.0 for a while over EPA allegations and that sliping timing gear has smoked a few of their diesel engines too...so Im not interested in that junk.

I would like to have a good 3.0 diesel engine that would tow and still get good mileage, but afraid to plunk down 50k for something that falls apart after warranty......a dang timing belt????? Why Ford why??? I love you guys to death but youre killing me!!!!

Old 02-14-2018, 08:10 AM
Samsonsworld
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatdarncat
Those 3.5 ecoboosts seem to have what it takes to tow....low enough rpms for a gasser, for good torque (about 3500) and somewhat decent mileage.
The 3.5L tows hard at a lot lower than 3500 rpms. It isn't like a naturally aspirated engine and doesn't need rpms to generate power, just boost.

I don't trust any diesel right now. They're too choked up. If you go that route, I'd get the extended warranty. My $.02.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:00 PM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
The 3.5L tows hard at a lot lower than 3500 rpms. It isn't like a naturally aspirated engine and doesn't need rpms to generate power, just boost.

I don't trust any diesel right now. They're too choked up. If you go that route, I'd get the extended warranty. My $.02.
I hear what you're saying there... I wish I could hook up my 6-7k lb camper up to it and see what a 3.5 ecoboost could do.

I did tow the camper with a 6.0 2500HD GMC gasser with it a couple of times...Im up around 4500 rpms on a motor that sucked fuel faster than most folks could breath air! It got maybe 8-9 miles while towing and 12 mpg at best while not towing, if a eco-boost 3.5 would provide good towing without screaming rpms and still give me decent mileage while not hooked up, than Im interested, but gasser towing is really the unknown for me, since I spoiled myself by starting my towing adventures with a f-350 diesel.
If the eco-boost can tow my needs without the rpms out the roof than im interested...yes Im somewhat gun-shy over the beating folks have taken on the newer diesel engines in the last few years

Old 02-15-2018, 05:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by thatdarncat
I hear what you're saying there... I wish I could hook up my 6-7k lb camper up to it and see what a 3.5 ecoboost could do.

I did tow the camper with a 6.0 2500HD GMC gasser with it a couple of times...Im up around 4500 rpms on a motor that sucked fuel faster than most folks could breath air! It got maybe 8-9 miles while towing and 12 mpg at best while not towing, if a eco-boost 3.5 would provide good towing without screaming rpms and still give me decent mileage while not hooked up, than Im interested, but gasser towing is really the unknown for me, since I spoiled myself by starting my towing adventures with a f-350 diesel.
If the eco-boost can tow my needs without the rpms out the roof than im interested...yes Im somewhat gun-shy over the beating folks have taken on the newer diesel engines in the last few years
The ecoboost will get good MPG's empty but it will suck fuel at nearly the same rate as the GM 6.0L while towing heavy.

The limiting factor for your towing needs won't be the engine, it'll be the truck itself.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Samsonsworld
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The ecoboost will get good MPG's empty but it will suck fuel at nearly the same rate as the GM 6.0L while towing heavy.

The limiting factor for your towing needs won't be the engine, it'll be the truck itself.
This. When you get into the turbos under a load, it is every bit as thirsty as my 6.2l Ford (but the eco also downshifts less). I've seen as low as 5 mpg bucking a hard wind, but my trailer is heavier (8k dry). It does get significantly better economy unloaded. With my last TT, which was 4500lbs dry, I spent a lot of time in 6th gear and hardly ever downshifted past 5th. The eco is an impressive engine.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 PM
BigMeTrog
5th Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
This. When you get into the turbos under a load, it is every bit as thirsty as my 6.2l Ford (but the eco also downshifts less). I've seen as low as 5 mpg bucking a hard wind, but my trailer is heavier (8k dry). It does get significantly better economy unloaded. With my last TT, which was 4500lbs dry, I spent a lot of time in 6th gear and hardly ever downshifted past 5th. The eco is an impressive engine.

As I am generally interested in the upcoming 3.0 I am not trying to hijack this thread; however I just did a back to back tow comparison with my 7k 33 ft travel trailer on a one of our semi local steep grades with a 2017 6.2 and my 2014 Ecoboost and posted it to the towing forum. It’s steeper than any of the major interstate climbs I’ve been on. As it was mentioned above I’ll post the link below.

I hope the 3.0 is as capable.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-towing.html

Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 AM
thatdarncat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by BigMeTrog

As I am generally interested in the upcoming 3.0 I am not trying to hijack this thread; however I just did a back to back tow comparison with my 7k 33 ft travel trailer on a one of our semi local steep grades with a 2017 6.2 and my 2014 Ecoboost and posted it to the towing forum. It’s steeper than any of the major interstate climbs I’ve been on. As it was mentioned above I’ll post the link below.

I hope the 3.0 is as capable.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-towing.html
Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Im a big diesel fan, but that ecoboost 3.5 looks darn good at task! Im approaching a 7k TT and likely will never exceed it. I really like the less expensive fuel and yet decent mileage when unhooked.

Even my F-350's never gave me that kind of mileage when unhooked.

Since someone mentioned a timing belt in the 3.0, I'm kinda weary of that that setup...I wish I knew more about that engine...I have never used a diesel as a grocery gettter...thats what the rollin'-corrloa is for but 30 mpg is dang good too.
If I knew that 3.0 was not going to end up as a 6.0 or a 6.4 then it would make decision making better but the ecoboost 3.5 does have some history to go on.