Sponsored by: DP Tuner

KC38R-366 Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:30 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
KC38R-366 Dyno results

It's been a long day but well worth it. First Dan from SDK Performance was amazing and his truck dynoed at 1168RWH and 2273 ft/lb. He spent at least an hour with me driving around getting my truck tuned. Ended up with 6 tunes. He did notice my truck was running out of fuel at 2300 rpm on my street and race tunes. My truck has a bone stock fuel system. He made some suggestions and they are not too costly less than a hundred bucks for a Walbro GSL392. So that's next.

Anyways the numbers on a Dynojet ended up at :

450 RWHP and 997 ft/lb

Charlie from KC actually ran my truck on the dyno and told me it should be at +- 530RWHP and 1175 ft/lb with a good fuel system. I will post some video's of my truck on the dyno and the graph in the next few days.

Interesting enough I did speak to owners and see a bunch of T4 systems get dynoed. One thing I did notice is the torque does come on about 1500 rpm as an average of 600ft\lbs. My sheet at the moment with fuel system problems came on at 1650rpm with the same amount of torque. Horse power wise my curve was climbing much steeper until I ran out of fuel.

All in all it was a great day.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I for one can't wait to see what you have. You know, I would think with 238/100 injectors you can get more power as well. But your numbers of 450/997 would be just fine for me. I mainly tow so racing around would be out. But driving the truck around always feels good with more power. I'm really close to ordering that turbo as well. Got some last minute things to do, or should I say spend money on then I'm in. I've been wanting the 200/100 injectors but mitt just settle for the 160/100 if I can get the right tuner. I didn't know they had a dyno day.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
The Arizona Power Stoke club had A dyno day today over 40 trucks on the dyno today. I think your right with the 160/100 or maybe 180/80 would be my choice. You might want to email Charlie at KC for his recommendations he is very knowledgeable about combo's with the KC38R charger.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:28 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
SWEET!!!

Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 PM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
SWEET!!!

Thank You!

Old 01-20-2018, 11:13 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Thank you for sharing

Do you have screenshots of the dyno run and charts?

Would really like to see the hard results. You know how we all love graphs

Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
It's been a long day but well worth it. First Dan from SDK Performance was amazing and his truck dynoed at 1168RWH and 2273 ft/lb. He spent at least an hour with me driving around getting my truck tuned. Ended up with 6 tunes. He did notice my truck was running out of fuel at 2300 rpm on my street and race tunes. My truck has a bone stock fuel system. He made some suggestions and they are not too costly less than a hundred bucks for a Walbro GSL392. So that's next.

450 RWHP and 997 ft/lb

Charlie from KC actually ran my truck on the dyno and told me it should be at +- 530RWHP and 1175 ft/lb with a good fuel system. I will post some video's of my truck on the dyno and the graph in the next few days.

Interesting enough I did speak to owners and see a bunch of T4 systems get dynoed. One thing I did notice is the torque does come on about 1500 rpm as an average of 600ft\lbs. My sheet at the moment with fuel system problems came on at 1650rpm with the same amount of torque. Horse power wise my curve was climbing much steeper until I ran out of fuel.

I’m in the same boat. My stock pump can’t keep up with my 200/80s in anything higher than my hot tow and daily tunes.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Low fuel pressure will ruin those injectors quick. Look on the bright side, you still have another 80 horses left in the stable.

That brings me to my next question. Do you have forged rods, or are you a gambling man?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65

450 RWHP and 997 ft/lb

Reps sent, nice work.

Originally Posted by The Brad
That brings me to my next question. Do you have forged rods, or are you a gambling man?

He has an '02 so ...

Old 01-21-2018, 07:03 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like a great day! For a long time I've wanted to get live tuning and Dyno time. You landed with very solid results and information. Thank you for sharing!

​​​​​​On the fuel, was the advice to replace the Bosch pump or run both? I too see fuel drop on tip in but it recovers quickly. I run a isspro fuel gauge and have the warning light set to 50 I believe. You may consider that, be sure to use an isolator.

I also have Charlie's quad feed that I modified to fit the T4 system. I noticed smoother running with it and it provides a way to read fuel pressure after the filter, so another idea how to spend your money in fuel. I'm full of them 😀.

If I find a similar opportunity like you, I'll trake it.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about your truck and others as well. I am glad to see the power produced by the KC and BW are very similar when comparing charts.

I know this does not give us a good representation of towing or EGT's, but it certainly puts some real world data into the mix when comparing the KC to the BW side by side on similar trucks.

Looking forward to the videos, and I think you have made up my mind for me, which is not an easy task to accomplish either.

Would you fellas say that the lack of fuel is brought on by the turbos or the tune? Do you see low fuel pressure issues when towing or using your daily drive tunes and getting into the fuel pedal quite a bit?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Nice work man, now im starting to think if i should change my turbo on my obs and go to bigger sticks.... Sous know im in the fence like you.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:55 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Thank you for sharing

Do you have screenshots of the dyno run and charts?

Would really like to see the hard results. You know how we all love graphs
I will put it up tomorrow for sure. Got my honeydew list for today.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,462 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Adam, I agree that the decision is a tough one, but one I am grateful for.

I guess my main concern now is not which turbo system to purchase, but if I purchase either one of them will I be introducing fueling/supply problems? I have not seen anyone with a 38R comment about the lack of fuel.

So, are the BW and KC turbos the cause of the lack of fuel? I know that Bluemax65 has large hybrid injectors, but I think SRBF150 has 180/80 in injectors?

Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Originally Posted by The Brad
I’m in the same boat. My stock pump can’t keep up with my 200/80s in anything higher than my hot tow and daily tunes.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Low fuel pressure will ruin those injectors quick. Look on the bright side, you still have another 80 horses left in the stable.

Going to get the fuel pressure gauge and the pump on order next week. I'm going to do some research on the pump first. Just in case theirs a better option. The GSL 392 seems like a good option, But I'm thinking maybe it's time to drop the tank and do the mods to it and add a pre-filter to it.

I have a PMR motor. The interesting thing speaking to Dan about PMR's he said the biggest mistake tuning a PMR motor was adding fuel down low. He said the bottom end torque is what breaks the rods. So he adds fuel a little later. That's when he noticed I was running out of fuel.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sous
Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and learned a lot about your truck and others as well. I am glad to see the power produced by the KC and BW are very similar when comparing charts.

I know this does not give us a good representation of towing or EGT's, but it certainly puts some real world data into the mix when comparing the KC to the BW side by side on similar trucks.

Looking forward to the videos, and I think you have made up my mind for me, which is not an easy task to accomplish either.

Would you fellas say that the lack of fuel is brought on by the turbos or the tune? Do you see low fuel pressure issues when towing or using your daily drive tunes and getting into the fuel pedal quite a bit?

My injectors required a lot of fuel because of size of them. I'm not sure what the limit for the stock fuel system would be plus most of our trucks are 16 plus years old. But for less than a hundred bucks the Walbro gsl 392 is cheap insurance. But I would recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge before changing anything to see how the stock system is doing in it's current configuration. I should of known better

Quick Reply: KC38R-366 Dyno results