Famous pedestal leak - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Famous pedestal leak

Old 01-20-2018, 03:44 PM
New User

krobbins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Famous pedestal leak

While i plan to do the delete, should i rebuild my turbo? If so, what kit do i get and how much is it and level of difficulty.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Locomotive breath

DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.DISLFVR has a very good reputation on FTE.
Contact Guzzle at Diesel-o-rings, he has everything you need. The rebuild kit is easy to do.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Junior User

beef tits is starting off with a positive reputation.
I threw in a GTP38R when I did my pedestal. Nice turbo; similar to stock except it will flow a lot more air, reduce EGTs, and make way more power on less boost if you go with bigger injectors.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM
New User

krobbins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
I threw in a GTP38R when I did my pedestal. Nice turbo; similar to stock except it will flow a lot more air, reduce EGTs, and make way more power on less boost if you go with bigger injectors.
You talking a LOT of $$$ for that set-up.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 PM
Junior User

beef tits is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krobbins View Post
You talking a LOT of $$$ for that set-up.
Indeed, but the time to do it is when you already have it apart...
Old 01-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I used the Garrett rebuild kit from dieselorings.com and put in a billet 4/4 wheel from riffraffdiesel.com. My rebuild kit has the OEM 270 degree bearing where others are offering 360 degree kits now. I also bought all new bolts for the turbo housing since they had been subjected to 280K miles of heat cycles. The rebuild is more time than cost to complete. You will need a 1/4" drive 12pt 8mm deep socket or you won't get to some of the bolts. Mine still looked good on the inside but it was a small price to pay to get the maintenance/refresh done while I already had the turbo out. I would much rather line up the baby's butt once.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Post Fiend

timmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to beholdtimmyboy76 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Brian, that flake never came thru Saturday with parts. Hope you had a cool weekend with the FAM...them bolts your referring to, I just did mine and think, they're 5/16 12pt socket needed
Old 01-22-2018, 12:26 PM
SPONSOR

DieselOrings has a great reputation on FTE.DieselOrings has a great reputation on FTE.DieselOrings has a great reputation on FTE.DieselOrings has a great reputation on FTE.DieselOrings has a great reputation on FTE.
Speaking with the Garrett technicians, Garrett has no plans to develop a 360 deg thrust bearing kit. To have a thrust collar that covers the full 360 deg surface, the thrust bushing has to be made into 2 pieces rather than the 1 piece bushing that Garrett uses. They feel this leads to a much weaker thrust bearing overall and adds nothing to the thrust bearing's functionality.

Bob -- aka guzzle

Specializing in Viton o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L diesels
(970) 368-4455
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 01-22-2018, 04:11 PM
Postmaster

brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOrings View Post
Speaking with the Garrett technicians, Garrett has no plans to develop a 360 deg thrust bearing kit. To have a thrust collar that covers the full 360 deg surface, the thrust bushing has to be made into 2 pieces rather than the 1 piece bushing that Garrett uses. They feel this leads to a much weaker thrust bearing overall and adds nothing to the thrust bearing's functionality.

Bob -- aka guzzle
Thanks for the info. Reps sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Hey Brian, that flake never came thru Saturday with parts. Hope you had a cool weekend with the FAM...them bolts your referring to, I just did mine and think, they're 5/16 12pt socket needed
No problem. With the government shut down the marine base skills center was closed all weekend so I wouldn't have had time anyway. Instead I spent it at home working on the house. Maybe next time.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Post Fiend

Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
Brian has some great information for you. I rebuilt my turbo with a full kit from SPTurboost when I installed the deleted pedestal. I also installed the RiffRaff 4/4 wheel.

I am glad I did these because following the instructions on RiffRaff and SPTurboost made the job very easy.

I put some good pictures and information in the thread below.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-planning.html

Worth rebuilding the turbo and installing a billet wheel, yup...
Old 01-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Senior User

Wesley Green is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribing. I'm waiting on the high flow outlet to get back in stock, then I can join the cool t-shirt crowd too. Already have the SP 360 rebuild, RR 4/4 billet wheel and pedestal.