turbo chirping has begun - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

turbo chirping has begun

Old 01-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
turbo chirping has begun

well, the infamous turbo chirping has begun. sound is from the vanes/vane acuator system and not really from the turbo bearing. the acutal sound is like predator birds or ravens squaking.

so another thing to put on the list .
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Posting Guru

DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
What's your plan of attack? Is it Hi or low pressure side?

Any loss noticed in performance or boost or just the audible?

Denny
Old 01-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Itís strange
It hasnít happened again.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 PM
Posting Guru

DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanx Fritz,

Think it was a mod sinking in?

If it rears again, do you have a plan in place.

Knowing you, you had a 4th and 1 plan in the mix.

Denny
Old 01-22-2018, 04:53 PM
Postmaster

im contemplating putting in a 60ml injection nozzle before the turbo and mist some oil onto the variable vanes. 60ml would be just enough to keep it wet.

I can tap some off my oil bypass filter line (5PSI to 60PSI).

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Posting Guru

Your talking hi side from what I gather. Correct?

Sounds like blistered paint kinda, can you expound?

Appreciate your innovative aspect on this rig.

Denny
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 AM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Is it turbo chirping? Or broke exhaust manifold bolts? My truck was making a chirping noise for probably a year. And it would come and go, some days it would do it a lot, other days none. Then one day it was horribly loud! Had 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke on one side, and 2 bolts broke on the other side.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:20 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn View Post
Is it turbo chirping? Or broke exhaust manifold bolts? My truck was making a chirping noise for probably a year. And it would come and go, some days it would do it a lot, other days none. Then one day it was horribly loud! Had 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke on one side, and 2 bolts broke on the other side.
anything is possible.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 PM
Posting Guru

Just back from a 400 mile round.

Heavy snow, ****ty roads and I just noticed slightly off throttle I had a bird up front.

I'll see tomorrow if it's still there but will check manifolds first.

Denny
Old 02-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Posting Guru

No loose or missing man bolts. Washed the truck top to bottom. Went away. Thinking it was a belt noise from the salt and ice spray on the trip.

Fingers crossed.

Denny
Old 02-08-2018, 09:17 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Anymore word from this? I had and squeal today on heavy throttle. Was riding with the shop mechanic trying to figure out my vibration issues. It happened twice. I was getting on it pretty good. I am hoping it was a fluke as well. Do you guys have a sound clip of yours?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Postmaster

Mine did it once when I punched it during regen

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I HOP it was a fluke. Really do about broken manifold bolts causing this as well. And they are a giant pain in the rear from what I have read. I would think that if the truck was cold and did that it make have been a manifold bolt. But the truck was warmed up when it did it for me.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:42 AM
Post Fiend

CampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputationCampSpringsJohn has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
I HOP it was a fluke. Really do about broken manifold bolts causing this as well. And they are a giant pain in the rear from what I have read. I would think that if the truck was cold and did that it make have been a manifold bolt. But the truck was warmed up when it did it for me.
That is how mine was. Did it for a long time until it got to the point that it didn't quiet down once warmed up. Always did it under throttle.