Rear Axle Bearing Experts needed. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Rear Axle Bearing Experts needed.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Rear Axle Bearing Experts needed.

Okay. 2009 F250. Has a high pitch whine around 35 mph and up, a vibration in the drivetrain around 70 mph and up, and a rumble strip sound around 10 mph.

Someone said to look at the rear axle bearings. Here are some pictures. Do the look like they are bad?

Driverside Inner race, bearing and spindle.

To me the inner looks worn. But someone with more experience tell me. Is the spindle in okay shape? Just cleaned up? New bearings?

Here in the driverside outer stuff.

Could what these bearings look like be causing any of the issues I am having?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
A high pitched whine would make me look at pinion bearings. Have you dropped the driveshaft and felt the pinion?
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
A high pitched whine would make me look at pinion bearings. Have you dropped the driveshaft and felt the pinion?
Driveshaft has been off and balance. Didn’t mess with the pinion though. What do I look for? I am out of my element with this bearing stuff.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:38 AM
Postmaster

Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
you need to go deeper..

but the bearings look strange... 70 percent making contact with race...
maybe mismatched bearing/race set...

the axle bearings are not making the noise you talk about.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:41 AM
Senior User

Djosbun is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bearings, races and seals are cheap. If you have them out, replace them.

Nobody likes wasting money but it’s worth it since you are already halfway done.

And the bearings do not look bad, to me.

— Dave
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Postmaster

Scared of taking the pinion nut off because have heard horror stories about used bearings etc and roasting the ring and pinion gears.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Driveshaft has been off and balance. Didn’t mess with the pinion though. What do I look for? I am out of my element with this bearing stuff.
Check for any play in it.

If you don't want to take the pinion nut loose, pull the carrier and spin the pinion gear and see how it sounds and feels
Old 01-20-2018, 12:20 PM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
Check for any play in it.

If you don't want to take the pinion nut loose, pull the carrier and spin the pinion gear and see how it sounds and feels

Basically drop the driveshaft and see how much slop side to side correct? Is there a “proper” way in pulling the pinion nut to see what’s going on? Is that more accurate?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:42 PM
Postmaster

Old 01-20-2018, 01:49 PM
Avid Winter Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Basically drop the driveshaft and see how much slop side to side correct? Is there a “proper” way in pulling the pinion nut to see what’s going on? Is that more accurate?
Yes, side to side and in and out. Also spin the pinion and see if your feel and roughness or growling.

If you're going to pull the pinion nut and take a look at the bearings you will need a new crush sleeve and I would put be bearings in it too.

Double check the hanger bearing on the driveshaft too
Old 01-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Avid Winter Hater

How many miles on the rig?
Old 01-20-2018, 02:25 PM
Postmaster

183,000 miles on the truck.

Mid bearing on the driveshaft is brand new along with all new unjointed and balanced.

Side to side is in the video. I can’t see any noticeable movement in and out. It does appear that the pinion seal might be leaking just a touch.

The pinion flange have a outer metal ring with a rubber insulator on it as well. Don’t know what that’s all about.

Really wish I could just find the smoking gun!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Postmaster

speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
the bearings look fine from a servicable perspective BUT....something is messing with the seating angles....missing washers...over torque...etc.

would it cuase a wine....probally if the wheel shows drag (hard stops while rolling)...the wine would be the oil being pushed out of the way from the bearing preload presure.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:29 PM
Postmaster

I will have to see if I can get a parts breakdown of the axle. That’s way I can see what is supposed to be in there and compare it to what I have.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Avid Winter Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
the bearings look fine from a servicable perspective BUT....something is messing with the seating angles....missing washers...over torque...etc.

would it cuase a wine....probally if the wheel shows drag (hard stops while rolling)...the wine would be the oil being pushed out of the way from the bearing preload presure.
Wait, you are claiming that an axle whine is caused by oil?