2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rear Parking Aid

Old 01-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Red-Rover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Parking Aid

I cannot figure out how to turn on my "Rear Parking Aid". When I go to "Settings" part of dashboard display, one of the screens gives me choices on three items: Rear Parking Aid
DTE Calculation
Advanced Settings
There is a box in front of the Rear Parking Aid choice and when I highlight that function, I am unable to "check" that box.
Hopefully I am just doing something stupid. I think I read somewhere that if I had the towing option, which I do, I could not have Rear Parking Aid but that does not make sense unless there of a switch selector somewhere.
Anybody out there able to help me with this minor problem?

Old 01-20-2018, 12:07 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
When you click "ok" a checkmark will appear/disappear in that box. No other trick to it. It's not real bright, so you might want to make sure the screen is shaded.
When you have a trailer connected the rear parking aid is automatically disabled. There will be a dialog box displayed to let you know that.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Red-Rover
New User
Mine will not accept a checkmark. I press ok button and nothing happens. How does the vehicle know a trailer is attached?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:14 PM
BlackOps450
Elder User
When I put truck in reverse, center dashboard above steering wheel has a box that says parking assist with options to turn on off.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Red-Rover
New User
Yes I have that box but I can't check or uncheck the box. Looks like a trip to the dealer for a warranty repair. I just thought it might be something that had not done correctly or failed to do.
Does "Rear Parking Aid" turn off automatically when you hook up a trailer or do you manually turn it off?

Old 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Have you towed with your truck? And if so, is that trailer still "active" in your dashboard menu?

Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM
NorEasterMA
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Worth asking the obvious question - do you have any accessories like a headache rack or rear lightbar or anything that is tapped into the 7-way trailer plug? If you do it'll disable sensors even without a trailer hooked up.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:44 AM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red-Rover
Yes I have that box but I can't check or uncheck the box. Looks like a trip to the dealer for a warranty repair. I just thought it might be something that had not done correctly or failed to do.
Does "Rear Parking Aid" turn off automatically when you hook up a trailer or do you manually turn it off?
Do you have rear parking aid? It is standard on lariat and up and an option on xlt. Not available on xl except for fleets.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:28 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Yes, the truck can tell when something is plugged into the receptacle, and it will disable the rear parking aid. When you put the truck in reverse, if the rear parking aid is disabled there will be a dialog box stating it is disabled.
Normally, when you check the box to turn rear parking aid off, it only stays off until you restart the truck. The default position is "enabled".
If you have the option in the menu, and you have sensors on the rear bumper, I would assume you have rear parking aid, and something is preventing proper operation.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 AM
Red-Rover
New User
Thank you all for your responses. I have an appointment with the dealers service department next week, the earliest they could get me in.
From your responses it appears that I am doing nothing wrong, the unit is just not working as designed.
I have had a trailer plugged into the outlet inside the bed for 5 minutes, just to check electric brakes and lights, all ok.
Yes this is a Lariat package and there are sensors in the rear bumper but just not "plugged in"?
It's interesting that the Rear Parking Aid is deactivated by plugging in the electrical connection for trailer lighting/braking.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:51 AM
Red-Rover
New User
Just a follow up on this "Rear Parking Aid" problem. The problem was in the software. The dealer did a download of updated software and I was out the door in 30 minutes.
The day of us shade tree mechanics is over!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:52 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Just a follow up on this "Rear Parking Aid" problem. The problem was in the software. The dealer did a download of updated software and I was out the door in 30 minutes.

Good to know you got it fixed.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:08 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Kind of sad, isn't it? Anyway, glad your problem was corrected & thanks for posting a follow-up.