Excursion vs Super Duty Interior

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 12:38 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Excursion vs Super Duty Interior

Hi-

I've never seen an Ex up close, and can't seem to find a few specific pictures of the interior that might answer my question. I did a search tonight on the forum but didn't come across a clear answer. So I thought I'd post to the Ex forum and perhaps the experts here could help. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2000 F-350 XLT SD CC LB DRW. Like my truck, but the interior is kinda crap. Cloth seats, manual everything ('cept windows) and I don't really like the bench front either. So I'd like to upgrade to a better interior. I've been looking for about 6-8 months now for something suitable, to no avail. However I saw a couple of Exs on craigslist that were going for reasonable prices. I was thinking of swapping the interiors, but I noticed that the rear door isn't shaped the same as on a SD. So I'm guessing that the interior door panel isn't either. From my search in the Ex forum tonight I stitched enough information together to come to the rough conclusion that the two are the same from the front seats forward, but after that not so much.

So. Is that correct? Or could you do an interior swap to get the electric seats, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 AM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts
From what I know, the passenger door on the EX is bigger-wider than the SD. The rear door panels of the SD and EX do not match up, though they can be made to The front seats and front door panels should be a match, if I am correct. Power seat option will need additional wiring for the XLT.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:13 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by av8or1
Hi-

I've never seen an Ex up close, and can't seem to find a few specific pictures of the interior that might answer my question. I did a search tonight on the forum but didn't come across a clear answer. So I thought I'd post to the Ex forum and perhaps the experts here could help. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2000 F-350 XLT SD CC LB DRW. Like my truck, but the interior is kinda crap. Cloth seats, manual everything ('cept windows) and I don't really like the bench front either. So I'd like to upgrade to a better interior. I've been looking for about 6-8 months now for something suitable, to no avail. However I saw a couple of Exs on craigslist that were going for reasonable prices. I was thinking of swapping the interiors, but I noticed that the rear door isn't shaped the same as on a SD. So I'm guessing that the interior door panel isn't either.
Yes, the second row door is longer (front to rear) and shaped differently.

From my search in the Ex forum tonight I stitched enough information together to come to the rough conclusion that the two are the same from the front seats forward, but after that not so much.
Essentially, from the "B" pillar forward the SD and Excursion are almost identical.

So. Is that correct? Or could you do an interior swap to get the electric seats, etc.?

Thanks!
If all you wanted were front electric seats, then you would need to have the necessary wiring under the seats in order to "Power" the "Electric" seats.

I'm guessing that you don't have power under the front row.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:15 AM
av8or1
Senior User
Ok thank y'all, I appreciate the help. There is a loom sticking out under the front seat IIRC but I'd need to look to verify cause I don't remember for certain at the moment. As a hobby electronics guy (not so much after my son was born, but...) I'm not concerned with whatever wiring needs to be done. Just give me a diagram and I'll be ok usually. It's access restrictions that I find frustrating when doing wiring projects in my vehicles (obvious). But I digress.

All that said, it's kinda moot because the interiors are not fully compatible. At least in regard to the first two rows that is. Oh well, it was a thought. Back to the hunt for a 250/350/450 interior. I'm gonna need patience and luck. And lots of it.😆

Thanks again,
Jerry

Old 01-20-2018, 04:17 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
as far as donor rigs for seats...at least front
97-04 F-150
97-02 Expy
98-02 Navi
99-16 F-250/350
I keep hoping I'll come across a Harley or KR part-out. I kinda want buckets in the middle row.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:07 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Your wiring should be there for power seats I have a 99 xlt no power seat from factory. Had a womped out lariat seat in the shop,swapped the power track to my nice xlt seat and now I have power seat in my xlt.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power seats

fordboy, not to hijack the thread, but where did you find the pigtail for the passenger side seat? My Ex came with a manual bench seat in the front and I swapped in some buckets. I searched all over the passenger side (without pulling up the carpet) and never could find a pigtail for the passenger seat. The drivers side plugged right in.

Originally Posted by fordboy2
Your wiring should be there for power seats I have a 99 xlt no power seat from factory. Had a womped out lariat seat in the shop,swapped the power track to my nice xlt seat and now I have power seat in my xlt.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:47 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
97-04 F-150
97-02 Expy
98-02 Navi
99-16 F-250/350
I keep hoping I'll come across a Harley or KR part-out. I kinda want buckets in the middle row.
Thanks Tylus. If only the front is compatible with regard to something other than a 250 or 350 then I'll pass on the others and wait it out. I won't die without the nice interior, it's just something I'd like to do; for both me and my truck.

Jerry

Old 01-20-2018, 10:49 PM
av8or1
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordboy2
fordboy2- Yeah I saw the loom when I drove it tonight to pick up some CVPI parts. It's there, just need to get the interior to go with it.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I found the plugs for a power, heated seat were different than those with just a power seat. Seats were both from an Excursion, both from the same year, built two months apart.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Based on my experience on my explorer, the seats with memory (driver's) used a different motor set, with some hall-effect sensors to communicate with the memory module.

Some wiring-harness hacking can be done to make a stand-alone power heated seat that only needs power supplied to it... or find a non-memory power heated seat.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Based on my experience on my explorer, the seats with memory (driver's) used a different motor set, with some hall-effect sensors to communicate with the memory module.

Some wiring-harness hacking can be done to make a stand-alone power heated seat that only needs power supplied to it... or find a non-memory power heated seat.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 96firephoenix

Interesting. The ones I mentioned above, the heated one was memory and the other was not.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM
96firephoenix
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Interesting. The ones I mentioned above, the heated one was memory and the other was not.
Yea, the different plugs would have been for the memory pedals, mirrors, and switches... I think there was a power/heated non-memory seat available for the Exc. though. Not so on the Explorer, that I can find. You either got power/heat/memory, or just power.

To make a memory seat into a non-memory seat for the explorer, I needed the switch harness out of a passenger seat, then de-pin it and flip the leads for each function within that pair. On the explorer, there's a red and yellow pair for each function, marked with a White, Blue, or green trace, so that R/W and Y/W need to be flipped.

For the excursion, you could probably get by with the wiring harness out of a power/heated/no-memory and switching it over. The key though is that the Exc seat uses the heated seat module on the seat, not controls the heater through the EATC module. Those seats can be converted to a stand-alone unit that simply needs an auxiliary power line run to it, but if it doesn't have the module, it can't be made to a standalone.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
97-04 F-150
97-02 Expy
98-02 Navi
99-16 F-250/350
Wait wait wait...

F150/Expedition/Navigator seats DO fit?

I always thought the F150/Expedition/Navigator was a much smaller vehicle and had narrower and shorter seats.

This opens me up to new donors. I HATE HATE HATE the center console and narrow arm rests. I'd like a jump seat with flip-down console that I can rest a laptop or something on.