2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
View Poll Results: What's n your driveway? 6.2 or 6.7?
6.2 gas
43.65%
6.7 diesel
56.35%
Voters: 598. You may not vote on this poll

What's in your driveway? 6.2 or 6.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Badtothebones
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.7 here. First Super Duty and first diesel and I love the truck.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:09 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would be very interesting to have a poll like this but for people who use them for work, as in using them to deliver a profit, period. I didn't read all the posts but from the last couple years I have really noticed that anyone who has to absolutely depend on the truck, and need it to help their bottom line, it is a 6.2. I may be wrong, but it seems like most of the diesels are two types of people, guys using the truck for fun stuff like camping, or they just have to have a big diesel truck because they want it (which is perfectly fine) and anyone who just wants the best for reliability and the bottom line gets gas.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All the SRW trucks in our fleet are gas. The DRW 450/550's are diesel.

Downtime is the deal breaker. Diesels aren't reliable.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 PM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf

In model year 2011 and newer my company started switching from Chevy/Duramax 4500/5500 to Ford V10 F450/550. The decline in downtime alone pays for the lower Mpgs of the gas trucks.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of the 6.7 powerstrokes, but when I was driving a Duramax I sure was glad I was still getting paid when my truck was down, or I would have been eating an awful lot of soup beans and spam because of that truck.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:00 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm shocked how close this is....

I thought the diesels would be way out in front.
When You reads the treads on this forum it seems like there's nothing but diesels,But I guess all the gasser guys are just lurking in the shadows...

Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
6.7L for me, but when the 7.0L comes out and if it actually has some ***** then I'll probably switch back to a gasser. I had a 2015 6.2L and with it empty it was ok but as soon as I put weight behind it, it was gutless turd. But I knew that when I bought the truck.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 AM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts

It would be very helpful to forum readers, if the self appointed "experts" on diesel reliability would cite their facts or data supporting statements such as "Diesels aren't reliable"! Did you mean "ALL" diesels, some diesels, just Ford diesels, Freightliners, etc etc etc.? All of the forums I follow, suffer from the same "opinion as fact" posts as FTE. (if it's just an opinion, state it as such) I found the poll interesting, but it would be more interesting to see the "actual" sales percentage data on the millions of Super Duty's sold since 2011 - how statistically close is the forum poll to actual sales.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM
oak
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good comment jbrnigan. The "diesels are unreliable" thing is completely contrary to my experience.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:33 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If reliability on "diesels" was so bad, our trucking industry would be going to huge gas powered engines!?.

News Alert! Diesels rule on longevity and torque needed for towing. Period, there is no argument to this. Down period on diesels vs. gas is just hog wash. What these guys don't consider is their pansey azzed gas trucks don't get near the abuse, use or miles that the diesels do.

You gas guys should stop being jealous (or whatever it is?) and just enjoy your truck! You have a very nice vehicle, stop trying to justify why you didn't spend the $8 grand more. Who cares, not everyone is the same or has the same needs in a truck.

Mingya facuccia!

Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you've been on here a Month (I know you have like a jazillion posts already within that time) but don't you think that the 450's and 550's are diesel cause they need the heavier service engine?

Your last sentence was certainly a joke with absolutely zero credibility, but I guess anybody can say anything, right?.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 AM
Omega Man
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
If reliability on "diesels" was so bad, our trucking industry would be going to huge gas powered engines!?.

News Alert! Diesels rule on longevity and torque needed for towing. Period, there is no argument to this. Down period on diesels vs. gas is just hog wash. What these guys don't consider is their pansey azzed gas trucks don't get near the abuse, use or miles that the diesels do.

You gas guys should stop being jealous (or whatever it is?) and just enjoy your truck! You have a very nice vehicle, stop trying to justify why you didn't spend the $8 grand more. Who cares, not everyone is the same or has the same needs in a truck.

Mingya facuccia!
I would agree with this line of thinking for diesels built prior to the EPA ruining them with emissions equipment. If they last so long why does everybody either trade them in before the warranty expires or pay for an extended warranty?

Old 01-22-2018, 08:02 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I'm not surprised how close this poll is. It actually supports what I see in my area very well...a lot of gas trucks.

As has been pointed out, the gas 6.2L is a great motor...even better for 2017+ with lower down torque and more of it. It is not a penalty box to own one.

More and more 450/550 fleet trucks (I'm talking cab and chassis trucks upfitted to be dump trucks, stake bodies, mechanic bodies, utility trucks, flatbed / wreckers, etc) are being sold as gas V10 trucks. I would say this is due to lower buy in cost, lower maintenance cost, and being capable of "getting the job done."

I'm driving a 6.7L right now but I've had 6.2L trucks as well. I use my truck in my landscaping side business to make me and my employees money. As to the comment about people needing to make money with their truck buying gas over diesel, I think the reason why has nothing to do with reliability. It simply has to do with the fact that a gas engine truck is much cheaper, and gets the job done. Sure, towing 15k lbs behind a gas one ton isn't that much fun...the engine is sure straining up hills...but it gets the job done and doesn't break. When it's a work truck nobody cares how fast or smooth the truck is. It just needs to get the job done and not break.

Cold weather performance couldn't be more different between a 7.3L and a 6.7L, or even a 6.0L and and 6.7L. The modern diesel starts basically as well as a gas, even if you don't plug it in. Yeah, I had problems during the last cold snap with fuel gelling up. I had to replace the filters. It was annoying. It turned out all the fuel suppliers in the area didn't count on it getting as cold as it did, and didn't blend enough winter fuel. In my case, my fuel supplier refunded me for the gelled diesel and the filters. But with proper fuel, you won't experience issues. I'm talking about the truck starting and running well at -22F. I have pictures to prove it.

My daily truck certainly tows equipment for my business, but its also my daily driver to and from my primary job in IT, and my vehicle for family / out of town trips, etc. I picked diesel because its more enjoyable to me.

As for reliability, it is an unfair statement to say the 6.7L isn't reliable. It sure is! But there is the potential, no matter how rare, of incurring extremely expensive engine repairs that wouldn't be covered under warranty if you had a problem with your fuel system. It is true that emissions controls have caused these trucks to not do as well on fuel as some of the older diesels did, but they still whup up on a gas fuel economy.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nico963
I'm shocked how close this is....

I thought the diesels would be way out in front.
When You reads the treads on this forum it seems like there's nothing but diesels,But I guess all the gasser guys are just lurking in the shadows...
How do you spell DEPLORABLES.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:00 AM
StrikeForce
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might be, because the gas trucks are already sold. I tried, I tried really hard to justify it. But I had absolutely zero excuses to buy the diesel. Our dealer lots are 65% gas, and 35% diesel with the working trucks and chassis cabs. The suburban daddy trucks are 50/50.

My cut sheet for gas:
-Do you need the most reliability and least downtime?
-Do you drive off road in soft, slick conditions where an extra 400 pounds means the difference between stuck and not stuck?
-Do you drive mostly short hops, local grocery getter jobs, and only a few long towing trips with a TT or 5'er?
-Is your truck going to be SRW?
-Is it negative 5 degrees outside your house?
-Is your truck a DRW that is only for local use, like parks, DOT, or Lawncare?
-Can you not stare at an RPM gauge, and handle a transmission that actually shifts gears?
-You don't know the names of any of the technicians at your local Ford dealer?

The more you answered yes, the more you should get the gas engine.

Diesel cut sheet:
-Do you drive long trips every day?
-Do you tow an obscene amount of weight?
-Do you put insanely heavy huge tires on the truck and are too ignorant to regear?
-Is your truck DRW?
-Do you live in Texas?
-An extra 400 pounds is no big deal off road, because the truck is already too big and heavy for that anyways? Or you live in arid conditions with rock hard ground?
-You want a giant C sticker?
-Can you afford a $15,000 repair bill at a moments notice?
-Is your truck a 450, 550, 650, 750?
-Are you mechanically inclined enough to drain the FF?
-Are you mechanically inclined to treat the fuel?
-Can you shake a chicken at a campfire to appease the diesel reliability gods?
-Do you have a personal relationship with a quality Ford Master Technician?

The more you answered yes, the more you should get the diesel.
I spoke with my uncle who has been behind the parts counter at a GMC dealer for 25 years and only drives gas 2500 or 3500 trucks (he buys lightly used trade ins). This was almost the same list I came up with as well. I like the "Do you live in Texas?" part. I was just in Austin TX and I saw no less than 100 6.7L 2017+ Super Duty trucks.

Either gas or diesel (I went gas), these trucks are super sharp and stand out!

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2018, 09:40 AM
BlankSpace
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just posted this another thread a little bit ago...but it fits here too...

2017 CCLB 6.2 is my daily driver. My driving habits are mostly like this:

Daily:
15 miles round-trip to and from work at an office job.

Occasionally:
Pulling a 6,400 pound (empty weight), about 7,500 (loaded weight) travel trailer about 8-10 times a year for some family camping. Distance ranges from 30 miles to 400 miles one-way.

The long bed can take some getting used to, but the first time you go camping and put 4 kayaks (one 11 footer, one 8 footer and two 6 footers), 3 bikes, a fire pit, firewood, and whatever other miscellaneous gear you can stuff into it, it all makes it worthwhile.

My big concern was the total weight rating and with 4 kids and camping gear, I wanted to make sure there was enough capacity to safely tow and bring everyone with me in the truck instead of taking 2 cars...which is what we had to do with our 2012 Expedition that I moved up from.

Quick Reply: What's in your driveway? 6.2 or 6.7