1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Benefits of adding a lift pump for future upgrade and longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 08:06 AM
crazyredneck31
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benefits of adding a lift pump for future upgrade and longevity?

Hello everyone

I was listening to 'Diesel Performance' podcast and they had a episode on adding a lift pump and the benefits that come with it even on a stock truck. One of the things that they talked about is that it helps purifies the fuel from air and dirt to give a better spray at the pistons with give back some hp's and fuel economy. The other things they mentioned it would give some longevity to the truck by getting a better supply of fuel. Have any of y'all made this upgrade and seen an improvement in our truck? Whats the best route to take in doing this and adding the upgrade? Or is this not really a good idea and don't fix what ain't broke?

The reason why I'm asking is since I'm finally out of college and making money I would like to put some money back into the truck. Eventually getting get some more power out of the truck and in hopes of getting some of my fuel mileage back up and making it to 1/2 a million miles.

Thanks,

Truck details:
2001 F-250 SD 7.3L
4x4 with Auto trans (rocking on number 3 now)
353,XXX miles and still running

Upgrades:
4 in from turbo back
Flash programmer
Hopefully more in the future

Old 02-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
My oem pump provides 73 psi post filter, FRX installed too, I don't think you need it if your filter is good. Have you done the Harpoon/Hutch mod? If not I'd spend my money there first.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I’m Leary if “fixing” what is not broken, the H&H mods are improvements to a bad design by Ford, the OEM pump should be plinth imo, if your pump is needing help then it may be time to replace it, no need to introduce more failure points into the system

Old 02-16-2018, 01:15 PM
crazyredneck31
New User
What is a Harpoon/Hutch mod? Still learning.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:07 PM
mcnance865
Mountain Pass
Hutch Mod: redoes the in-tank pickup so that the return fuel line does not shoot aerated fuel out right next to the pickup line. The normal way introduces air into the system.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

Harpoon Mod: this is simply cutting the vent tube on the filler next so that you can get the extra 3-5 gallons of fuel in the tank at the pump without the pump automatically shutting off.
Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Harpoon Mod Web Page

Old 02-16-2018, 02:12 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
First of all, a lift pump by itself does nothing to remove either air or dirt from the fuel system. It takes two things to eliminate air...
1) NO leaks on the suction side of the pump where air gets sucked into the system,
2) Do the Hutch mod to take any entrained air away from the pump pickup line

As for dirt, there is only one thing to remove that, and it is an inline strainer between the tank and the pump suction. Anything tighter than 120-150 mesh will do more harm than good because it puts excessive strain on your stock pump. Besides, there is already an internal 56 mesh screen inside the suction of the stock pump.

I ran Carter lift pumps ahead of the stock pump for about 8 years (roughly 150K miles). In that time, I went through two lift pumps while the original stock pump continued to run well. HOWEVER... DON'T DO IT!

Any boost you get from the lift pump gets removed by the fuel pressure regulator at the fuel filter. Also, WHEN your lift pump dies, it WILL put excessive strain on your stock pump by making it have to PULL the fuel not only up the pickup tube in the tank, and THROUGH the inline strainer, but also THROUGH the lift pump internals. I am firmly convinced that it was the strain caused by two dead lift pump scenarios which caused my stock pump to die before it should have.

As stated, your stock pump will supply all the fuel you need up to and possibly a little beyond 400 hp. Just do the Hutch and Harpoon mods to remove the entrained air to begin with and install a Racor PS120 in line strainer between the tank and the stock pump.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
First of all, a lift pump by itself does nothing to remove either air or dirt from the fuel system....
While the rest of your very informative post was right on, this opening has a caveat. A lift pump can prevent the vacuum leak on the pickup tube. I dare say, this would be the only real reason to put an electromechanical device inside a tank. That being said, I opted for the Hutch mod without a lift pump... and I strongly suggest (like you do) to the readers this is the optimal solution.

A lift pump is more complication inside the tank than what we already have. The Hutch mod is a giant step to simplify parts in an area you'd rather work on just one time - if at all. The stock pump works just fine - even with significant engine upgrades. I have 400 HP on a stock pump with a Hutch mod... and I monitor my fuel pressure with a gauge. All is well.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 AM
crazyredneck31
New User
Thanks guys I'll look into doing those mods and possibly putting a fuel gauge on to know what kind of pressure that I am getting.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
The lift pump, Rich, does not have to be inside the tank. The Carter pumps I ran still had to rely on "pulling up through the straw" and were mounted on the frame rail right behind the stock pump. If you're going to put the "lift" pump inside the tank, then what makes the most sense is to simply use a more capable stock-style pump (inside the tank) and have it be the single pump in the system feeding the fuel bowl in the valley. Dan did this a number of years back with his Bosch replacement pump and it ran well for him.

EDIT: For anyone interested in moving the fuel pump to inside the tank like I mentioned above, I went back to find Dan's thread, and posted the link below.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-the-tank.html