2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

New Truck Inventory

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 11:38 AM
Rob89
More Turbo
Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
New Truck Inventory

Good afternoon all,

With used truck prices skyrocketing, I figure now is a good time to trade out of my Titan and get back into a SD. I’m looking for a 250/350 CCSB 4x4 Powerstroke Lairat. I need the 5th wheel prep package, the Lariat Ultimate Package and the spray in bedliner. I’d prefer the 3.55 gears for eventual 37’s but it’s not a deal breaker.

I’m in the Tampa area and there are roughly 100 250/350 Lariats in a 250 mile radius. The vast majority don’t have the 5th wheel prep from the factory (proving to be the hardest find in my requirements).

So I say that to say I’m confused because when I come on the forums I see all this hoopla about no inventory and trucks can’t be bought or ordered but when I look at the inventory in my area I see something different. I’m not being coy or sarcastic when I ask this...I’m 100% serious...but is there something I’m missing?

Old 04-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Bigblue#2
Freshman User
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
As you stated most dont have the 5th wheel prep you want. They will either dont have the options you want or things you don't want. My local dealer ship had 5 in stock a month ago. But only 2 lariats, neither had the factory leds I wanted. It's why l ordered. They now have no superduties and very few f150s. By ordering we got the color and exact options we wanted without have to compromise.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:19 PM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 353 Likes on 278 Posts
In my neck of the woods, you can buy an XL all day long. Lariats and up are also available, but generally speaking very loaded out.

I want a 350 6.7 CC XLT, with the XLT Premium package, spray-in bedliner, and a sliding rear window. Fifth wheel prep is no big issue, as if it doesn't have it I will just order up a B&W Turnover ball system with the Companion hitch and be done with it. It would be easier if I didn't need to go through the extra installation, but I'm not too worried. Block heater and instant-heat are a necessity for winter.

But within a 250 mile radius, I can't find one. Within a 500 mile radius, I can't find one. I am going to wait until the turn of the year before I break down and order one.

The problem is a lack of inventory where the demand is, especially with the options and trim levels people want. It sounds like there isn't much demand down there, or if there is, the options aren't on the inventory they have.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:20 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,029 Likes on 1,530 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob89
Good afternoon all,

I’m in the Tampa area and there are roughly 100 250/350 Lariats in a 250 mile radius........

So I say that to say I’m confused because when I come on the forums I see all this hoopla about no inventory and trucks can’t be bought or ordered but when I look at the inventory in my area I see something different. I’m not being coy or sarcastic when I ask this...I’m 100% serious...but is there something I’m missing?

Not everyone on the forum lives in the Tampa Florida area.

You can add the 5th wheel prep after purchase if that is the biggest issue you are running in to. It will obviously cost more doing it that way, but possible. Aftermarket spray in bed liner would cost the same or less than the OEM liner.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:31 PM
Bigblue#2
Freshman User
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes aftermarket spray in is about the same and thicker. Bad part about the aftermarket 5th wheel/ goose neck kits every one i check into the bed had to come off. Which made the install labor over 1k. Plus you run the risk of them scratching the bed or cab taking it off and on.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:14 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bigblue#2
Yes aftermarket spray in is about the same and thicker. Bad part about the aftermarket 5th wheel/ goose neck kits every one i check into the bed had to come off. Which made the install labor over 1k. Plus you run the risk of them scratching the bed or cab taking it off and on.
I don’t mind if the bed liner is from the factory or gets thrown into the deal. The 5th wheel prep has to come from the factory. I don’t want to retrofit the system to a brand new truck for 5 times the factory cost that one local dealer wants.

When factoring the 5th whee prep, my available inventory goes from about 100 to about 10. I’m about a month away from actively shopping so we will see what the inventory is like then. According to KBB, my trade has appreciated about 1k in the past month. Here’s to another 1k in the next month!!

Old 04-27-2021, 03:00 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Of those 10, how many are 250, how many are 350? Since you're looking for a diesel, I'd recommend sticking to just the 350s which may reduce your choices even more. I have pretty much one of the lightest fifth wheels I've ever seen and I pretty much max out my gasser 250's numbers. If I had a diesel, I'd be over.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:23 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Kaadk
Of those 10, how many are 250, how many are 350? Since you're looking for a diesel, I'd recommend sticking to just the 350s which may reduce your choices even more. I have pretty much one of the lightest fifth wheels I've ever seen and I pretty much max out my gasser 250's numbers. If I had a diesel, I'd be over.
1 or 2 are 350. Good point about maxing out the 250’s numbers. I was only thinking about it from a straight capability standpoint.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:30 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
I just checked inventory of two of the largest dealerships local to me. Zero 450s. One 350 DRW, fewer than 10 350SRW and not even 20 250s between them. This is a pretty sad new truck market.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM
shawnee1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 434 Likes on 261 Posts
If you haven't already, I suggest you tell a few of the dealers what you want. They may have trucks on order and coming in the next few weeks. May be able to get your name on the one you want rather then waiting to see it show up on the lot. This might get you a step ahead of others looking for the same truck.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
I haven’t actually gone in and talked hard #’s with anybody yet but I’m also curious of how much they’re willing to deal right now.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:35 PM
Rob89
More Turbo
Originally Posted by shawnee1
If you haven't already, I suggest you tell a few of the dealers what you want. They may have trucks on order and coming in the next few weeks. May be able to get your name on the one you want rather then waiting to see it show up on the lot. This might get you a step ahead of others looking for the same truck.
Awesome suggestion- thanks!

Old 04-27-2021, 03:59 PM
j MCQ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When i was looking in so Cal a few months ago, every dealer had 2-3 at most with Lariat package and usually grey, seems to be the color. I ended up jumping on a dealers order and did a change how i wanted it, took 2 months to get it.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:04 PM
vancouverbrian
More Turbo
Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts
There are really two parts of the lack of inventory. And the lack of inventory is compared to what is normal. Then because there is less inventory, many dealers are not giving "good" deals. There appear to be a few dealers that are more flexible than others, but finding that dealer is harder, and could be further away from where you are located.

So you have to search harder to find the truck you want, and search for the dealer for the "good" price.

My read on the situation is that for inventory on the lot, they are not dealing on price. On an order with an uncertain delivery date, they might give you a better deal and lock you in to get the business which is really a future deal for them.

I guess I should add for those thinking to cash in on selling their almost new SD, while they will get a good deal getting out of their SD, they might not get a good deal getting that new SD to replace it. And they may not find the SD on a lot they want and/or wait a long time for that new order.

There is not a perfect answer to what should someone do if they are in the market for a new SD. Things are not normal. You can only make the best decision that works for you after researching the market.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:08 PM
j MCQ
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one place close to me with the most inventory i tried multiple times with fleet guy and could never get more than $250 dollar rebate. So i stopped looking that was January, ended up doing good on a truck and getting it how i wanted from another dealer.

Quick Reply: New Truck Inventory