53-56 F100 Inner Fenders - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

53-56 F100 Inner Fenders

Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
My current 56 project (the one pictured above) has a custom flat firewall and no stock inner fender mounting brackets. The reason that I mention this is because I have no need for the lower mounts on the new inner fenders. That said, I noticed that the Midfifty inners are rounded at the lower back corner and have no place to mount them to the stock firewall brackets. I am not sure why they did that...I even measured the overall width of the inner fender just to see if it was wider than a standard 48 inch sheet of metal, it is not. Plenty of metal to extend the panel to the stock firewall bracket. It is my opinion that the metal is stiff enough that the inner fender should not "flap in the breeze" but if it bothers you then you could always make a bracket to tie the back of the inner fender to the stock firewall bracket.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:56 PM
Firebird326HO
New User
Firebird326HO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I noticed that my mid-fifty custom inner fenders don't touch the frame at the bottom where they have the 90 degree bends. They line up fine, but there's a 3/4" gap. Anyone else have that? If so, did you secure the panels to your frame somehow?

Old 01-28-2018, 01:52 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
That gap is as per design. The cab/front sheetmetal are attached to the frame via rubber mounts. The frame is designed to flex and the cab/frontend must accommodate the flex of the chassis. That said, you don't want the inner fenders attached to the frame as it would tweak the sheetmetal.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Firebird326HO
New User
Firebird326HO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by CharlieLed View Post
That gap is as per design. The cab/front sheetmetal are attached to the frame via rubber mounts. The frame is designed to flex and the cab/frontend must accommodate the flex of the chassis. That said, you don't want the inner fenders attached to the frame as it would tweak the sheetmetal.
Thanks, very helpful to know!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
The shop I am working with made up a set of inner fenders out of aluminum for a buddy of mine. Here is a pic showing his truck as he gets it reassembled. The shop stretched the top edge of the inner fender panel to give it a little arch...the gap is almost nonexistent but the aluminum is a little flimsy. I think that a stiffener strip is needed where the inner bolts to the outer fender. This inner fender design is not one that any of the aftermarket vendors sell.

Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2018, 03:58 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.

This thread hasn't been replied to in a couple months, just wondering if anyone has found a good, easy way to fill the gap with these flat inner fenders? I haven't bolted my outer fender on yet but the gap is larger than I thought it would be...

Old 04-13-2018, 07:31 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
Have you tried putting a bolt and tightening it to see what happens.? I'm sure there would be a fair amount of flex on that inner fender.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 PM
hulleywoodworking
Senior User
hulleywoodworking has a good reputation on FTE.hulleywoodworking has a good reputation on FTE.
Looking at the pictures, I don't see any easy way to fix that gap. Have you given any thought to cutting off the upper section, bending it to the curve, then fitting and welding in a patch filler section? Not easy, but this would give you a perfect fit.

Just a thought.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 AM
jakevidrine
Senior User
jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used the inner fender spacers that midfifty sells, it helps fill the gap and prevents the inners from having too much warpage when you tighten the bolts, acts like a huge fender washer.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM
highdesert55
Senior User
highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.highdesert55 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jakevidrine View Post
I used the inner fender spacers that midfifty sells, it helps fill the gap and prevents the inners from having too much warpage when you tighten the bolts, acts like a huge fender washer.
Somebody mentioned they weren't happy with those spacers in this thread but if you had a good experience maybe i will give them a shot.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM
jakevidrine
Senior User
jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by highdesert55 View Post
Somebody mentioned they weren't happy with those spacers in this thread but if you had a good experience maybe i will give them a shot.
when I get home on Wednesday Iíll take a picture for you.