1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT - battery charger recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
OT - battery charger recommendations

I have a general shop question for the group.

What do you all recommend for a shop battery charger? I have an old Christie battery charger that works like a champ but is a bit overkill. Years ago I had to modify the diode stack in it and since then it really puts out the jolts and if you're not careful you can cook a battery.

I'm looking for a decent automatic battery charger for car and motorcycle batteries that can put out enough oomph to boost a car if necessary.

Thanks
Bobby

Old 01-19-2018, 05:07 AM
Smitty49
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got several chargers of various makes but I think Schumacher is the leader in the market-
Amazon Amazon
For regular battery trickle charging I use Battery Tender both for my vehicles and mower.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:06 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 713 Likes on 257 Posts
I agree with Smitty on both chargers

john

Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM
edzakory
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best true float charger I have is the 3 amp Battery Tender. I bought this version from Costco for $30; it will charge to full capacity and then keep the charge without overcharging.

As previously stated, Schumacher is another quality brand; I have wheeled model with 10 amp for charging and 40/200 amp for engine start. It is a 40-year-old model that does not have the circuitry for automatic shutoff; it uses a dial timer.

I also have a Chicago (Harbor Freight) 2/6 amp charger that has automatic shutoff. It does the job but connections have to be tight otherwise the meter bounces up and down. Cost wise, the Chicago is the best choice for occasional use but like most Chinese electrical products, quality control is lacking.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:10 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about charging lead acid batteries from Battery University.

Charging Information For Lead Acid Batteries ? Battery University

Warning: You might saturate your brain reading this but there is lots of good info here.

Philip

Old 01-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Ctek. End of.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
All 3 of my sheds have a solar panel on the roof and a simple controller that regulates charging for batteries .
Simply hook it up and forget , I don't even have to have power going to the shed .

Old 01-19-2018, 05:42 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I bought a Schumacher from the local farm supply store, it worked great until one of my kid's farm hands used it as a wheel chock for one of his tractor. I had him pay for a new one. About $120. I've used it to boost start cars and it has a 6V setting for my F-2.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:39 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
I've heard good things about the Battery Tender and the Schumacher brands.
My old Christie is a wheeled unit and I think I'll try to find something smaller.
I have several "trickle" chargers that use for the jetskis, motorcycle, etc but I think I want something similar to what Bob posted.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and experience. I'll start looking around and pricing things.
Bobby

Old 01-19-2018, 09:29 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
All good info above. One thing to consider if you have or are thinking about getting a gel cell battery, such as a Optima, you need a charger with a gel cell battery setting. The gel cell's will not survive if they are overcharged.

B

Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Originally Posted by Oldb
All good info above. One thing to consider if you have or are thinking about getting a gel cell battery, such as a Optima, you need a charger with a gel cell battery setting. The gel cell's will not survive if they are overcharged.

B
I have Optimas. They are AGM batteries not gel. That is why I have CTEK charging equipment.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:43 AM
HILLBILLY BOB
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
i agree with smitty.i have a schumacher,and a battery tender.i am happy with both

Old 01-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Mike Shuey
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

What do you all recommend for a shop battery charger? I have an old Christie battery charger that works like a champ but is a bit overkill. Years ago I had to modify the diode stack in it and since then it really puts out the jolts and if you're not careful you can cook a battery.

I'm looking for a decent automatic battery charger for car and motorcycle batteries that can put out enough oomph to boost a car if necessary.

Thanks
Bobby
I found a SShumakerchumaker

Old 01-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Mike Shuey
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bobbytnm

Thanks
Bobby
I bought a wheeled Schumacher SC1309 on sale for a little over $100 at the Irish car parts store. Electronic 6/12 volt automatic with car start. Starts with high charge rate until fully charged then lowers to maintenance. Will charge all ltypes of batteries and has de-calciify setting. Good cables but pretty light weight transformer. Havent used it for anything but charging so I'm not sure about car start portion. Never had luck with any charger for that. I bought a high quality portable power pack to use for starting a dead battery and having a portable lighter outlet to run compressors and other accessories.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Normalbloke
I have Optimas. They are AGM batteries not gel. That is why I have CTEK charging equipment.
Yes, you are correct, had my head somewhere. No excuse. We have over 80 Optimas at work, use them individually, in series, parallel and series parallel. Replacing pairs of 8d's with four of the Otimas.
I am glad you corrected me. But my message is the same, if you are going to buy a charger get one with the AGM, absorbed glass mat setting and then if you purchase a AGM battery in the future you are set. The number one killer of AGM batteries is overcharging.

B

Quick Reply: OT - battery charger recommendations