2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

2016 interceptor exhaust in cabin

Old 07-28-2017, 07:23 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 interceptor exhaust in cabin

Ok, i am a private individual (not an officer) who ended up with a 2016 interceptor.. I really like the car, but cannot stand the fumes in the car much longer.I went to my dealer, who i practically had to force to take for a test drive.They acknowledged i have a problem, but were very tight lipped about it. I have installed tips trying to move the exhaust farther out, but did not help.
Anybody know if anything is being done by Ford about this? I really like this car, but something has got to give.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,578 Likes on 1,288 Posts
I just saw a news story tonight. But look at this, from Feb '17:

Is your Ford Explorer leaking exhaust? - CBS News

If it's CO, it has to be a leak pre-cat.

Why this is a head scratcher for Ford is a real question. There is little mystery as to the source of exhaust gas and it's path out of the vehicle. And it's a short, well defined path at that.

Serving suggestion: Don't use the recirculation setting on the AC, and buy a CO detector and keep it in the console or under your seat. And keep asking the dealer about a fix.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:39 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,578 Likes on 1,288 Posts
Old 07-29-2017, 04:35 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just heard Ed Wallace talking about this today on his 'Wheels' radio show here in DFW. Ed Wallace's Inside Automotive

basically Ford started investigating and the main complainer - Austin, Tx PD - had drilled holes in the body to install their police gear and did not seal them is what he said to day...

Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Its interesting that us mere mortals have been complaining about exhaust fumes in the vehicle for YEARS and all Ford would do, if they did anything at all, was apply a TSB that called for disassembling the rear of the vehicle to install heavier cabin exhaust flaps. Sometimes this helped sometimes it didn't.
Ah, but let a couple of police departments pull all their Explorers from service and Ford can see that trend spreading across the country. That's a lot of warranty claims and lost sales not to mention possible law suits from officers that were sickened.
Bet THAT got their attention.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:37 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
I have a co2 detector in the car, cannot run recirculate on the air. I have not modified the car in any way, yeah it does bother me that it took police complaints to get anything done. I do not think it is cracked manifolds, but i will let them try that.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:41 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gents,

I do not believe that this is actually exhaust. Albeit, it smells just like it and provides some of the same results, I believe yours may end up being what mine was, which was the forward TPU boiling fluid out of the top of it and burning off into the engine compartment and in turn, into your cab.

I thought Ford finally acknowledged this via TSP, but I could be wrong.

Let me know and good luck!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:00 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
What is are you calling the tpu?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check these out...

https://ford.oemdtc.com/949/awd-leak...us-lincoln-mks

PTU Problems | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Maybe but not likely related: Interesting for YOU never the less!
https://ford.oemdtc.com/2904/custome...ceptor-utility

Originally Posted by daltonjamesadams
What is are you calling the tpu?

Old 08-02-2017, 08:25 PM
daltonjamesadams
More Turbo
Thanks for the links, my dealership said there is a recall in a week or 2 on the fumes on the police interceptor, i will have them check the power steering then. Mean while, i will look for leaks around that vent.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:35 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
I'm considering an Explorer to replace the '04 Expedition. I'll sit back and see how this is handled before I pull the trigger.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:21 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm considering an Explorer to replace the '04 Expedition. I'll sit back and see how this is handled before I pull the trigger.
If you go from an '04 Expedition to a current generation Explorer I can almost guarantee you won't be happy and it has nothing to do with exhaust fumes.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
If you go from an '04 Expedition to a current generation Explorer I can almost guarantee you won't be happy and it has nothing to do with exhaust fumes.
OK I'll bite, why?

Old 08-22-2017, 02:45 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Well, some of these things might depend on which model Explorer you're thinking about but some pertain to all models. I went from a Super Duty Quad Cab to an Explorer Sport.

I found the seats to be terrible. They're designed for someone with a fairly narrow rear axle.

The third row seats are a joke. No adult can sit comfortably back there and you need to be double jointed to reach them. When they're up you have virtually no cargo area. I folded mine down 2 days after purchase and they stayed that way until the day I traded it.

Do you like phony engine sounds piped in through the audio system? All the time.

The front air dam is less than 6 inches off the ground. It won't clear a parking lot wheel stop. And when you do rip it off (and you will) the part is almost 300 bucks and a pain to install. But it does make a nice snow plow in the winter! There's a **** that lets you select various off-road conditions (dirt, sand, snow, rocks etc.). Yea sure!

With a shorter wheelbase, and if you spring for the 20 inch tires the ride is nothing spectacular. My 2017 F150 rides better.

After 3 years I gave up and went back to a pickup. But hey, maybe you'll love it!

Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
There are a lot of issues with specific platforms.......the focus is experiencing "spontaneous" fast moving electrical fires (engulfing the passenger compartment within 60 seconds or less), powershift tranny issues (Ford is currently being sued in Austrailia for), and the explorer, I could go on for two pages but, "Me thinks I smell a bit of a Pinto-type similarity issue here..... not so much on the fuel tank location but there are IMHO multiple engineering issues that will eventually come to light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 interceptor exhaust in cabin