What engine and what HP/Torque numbers do you have? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What engine and what HP/Torque numbers do you have?

Old 01-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.
What engine and what HP/Torque numbers do you have?

I was wondering what some of you guys have for your drivetrain and what your HP/Torque ratings are (not at the wheels). Are you happy with the power? Wish you had more?

Old 01-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
460... guessing around 400hp and 500tq with the parts it has on it. Yet to drive it in my truck but did in the PO's, and it's the only time I felt like I was accelerating in a truck like I do on a liter motorcycle. So yes, super happy with the power. All the way to the gas station.

Previous engine was a 272, it was slow but worked with everything else with the truck, with the steering and brakes it needed to be.

Only so much power you can put to work, the rest is bragging rights. I doubt I'll ever put my 460 to it's limits. With that being said I have a 67 Mustang with a 302 in it, it could use a little more power (or a better rear gear ratio) but that thing would be terrifying with a 460 in it.

If you're looking to swap something new in, big blocks are fun. However might take a look at your rear axle ratio first. Changing that up can give you what you're looking to experience a lot easier than swapping in something new. 4.10 vs 3.00 is a world of a difference.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM
jvmcc
Elder User
jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.jvmcc has a great reputation on FTE.
Stock 215 in my '53 F100. I think it's got 108 bhp.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.

1956..... 302......actually 347 stroker ...it dynoed at 435 hp.....c-4 transmission....fun but a handful.....

Old 01-18-2018, 06:40 PM
EBEAR
Elder User
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
Haven't driven mine yet but 408 windsor stroker desktops at 525 hp 500 + fp all set for 1500 - 5500 rpm . 3.45 gears , AOD trans and front and rear c4 Corvette suspension . Should be fun .

Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Gicknordon
Posting Guru
Gicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to beholdGicknordon is a splendid one to behold
429 in mine. Supposed to be around 500 hp and 500 lbs.ft. torque. I think it is tons of fun. My 4 link helps it hook up pretty well, but it will still blow the tires off if you floor it in 1st gear. Only get 7 mpg with it though, so not the best to drive a lot.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Marten
Senior User
Marten is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have not driven mine either but have a 350 Chev pushing just over 400 hp and about 415 ft/lbs. Has the C4 vette suspension front and back as well. Think the rear end is about a 2.89-1 ratio if I remember correctly. 700r4 tranny from the vette as well all rebuilt to handle that power.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
I'm running a bone stock 500ci Cadillac with approx. 150,000 miles on it.

The advertised numbers were 345hp and 500ft lbs of torque. Of course that's advertised numbers and factory fresh. The poor ol' engine has tons of miles on it and I'm pretty sure that some of those ponies have managed to escape the corral.

But, the thing runs great, gets decent mileage (when I can keep my foot out of it) and its dependable.

Bobby

Old 01-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Oldb
Senior User
Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am a little bit away from finding out. 351 Cleveland stroked to 408. Tim Meyer balanced rotating assembly. Power heads Aussie heads ported, polished with 4v valves. Mid 500 lift hyd cam, may ditch that for a hyd roller. Performer intake, 750 carb or efi. T 56 trans and a 8.8 rear, now with 3:25 but may spring for 4:10. I will be happy with a solid 400 h.p. It should make that. I would like to autocross this truck so I want good torque down low.

B

Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 AM
AZAV8
Senior User
AZAV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ford Racing Crate Motor, 427 cubic inch, Windsor, 450 horsepower, 520 ft/lbs torque with a Performance Automatic Ford 4R70 auto transmission.

I haven't driven it yet as I am still building. The engine is based on the Ford Racing Boss 351 block with the X-heads. I will run the Trick Flow EFI manifold with a Vintage Air Front Runner serpentine belt drive for the air conditioning compressor, alternator and power steering pump.

Link here for the crate motor: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-X427FRT

Philip

Old 01-19-2018, 01:24 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
petemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud ofpetemcl has much to be proud of
The engine is the original flathead V8 in my '50 F2. I have added Reds headers with a 2 " 304SS exhaust, an Offenhauser intake, a Holley 390 cfm 4bbl carb with electric choke, a Holley electric fuel pump, an MSD distributor, Pertronix Flamethrower coil and Pertronix plug wires. I have no idea what the HP or torque figures are but it does provide a smooth application of power through a 4R70W automatic transmission (electronic and 30% overdrive) and an 8.8" Ford rear axle with Trac-Lok (4.10:1).

Not the new 304SS exhaust

Old 01-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.Schuyles has a great reputation on FTE.
Really great info from everyone, thanks for taking the time to share! Mine is still in the build phase as well...I've been all over the place but am going to move forward with a ford 400 with flat top pistons and a cam from Tim Meyer Inc. stock heads - actually have a nice set of Australian 302c heads but am probably not going to use them. Should make close to 325hp with a lot of torque at low rpms...we'll see how it goes!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:35 PM
seaves46
Senior User
seaves46 has a very good reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a very good reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a very good reputation on FTE.seaves46 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Just a caution on the Aussie 302c heads guys .
If your using them on a hi comp 351 or similar motor you can get pinging .
You may have to run high octane type fuels .

Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 PM
76-5.0
Senior User
76-5.0 is starting off with a positive reputation.
95 Hp @ 1800 Rpm from my 226 when it was new.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Oldb
Senior User
Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Oldb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by seaves46 View Post
Just a caution on the Aussie 302c heads guys .
If your using them on a hi comp 351 or similar motor you can get pinging .
You may have to run high octane type fuels .
Appreciate the caution, but I think you will find that the Aussie head is closed chamber, like the good 351C 4V. Open chamber like the 351C 2V and the later 4v are more prone to detonation. Used on a 351M or 400 they are good for an increase in compression ratio which may cause pinging with low octane gas. But in general between open and closed chamber the closed is less likely to detonate. At least that has been my understanding for some time now.

B

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What engine and what HP/Torque numbers do you have?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.