Gas or Deisel for 2019 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Gas or Deisel for 2019

Old 01-18-2018, 10:08 AM
Forresth
Junior User
Forresth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas or Deisel for 2019

Really planning to get an Expedition in the next couple of years.
Every time I look at the cancer on my current Avalanche, it just makes me sick. I would have no qualms about fixing it up and running it for another decade, if it wasn't so rusty. The family has also grownto the point where the dual bench seats are at capacity....so the Aluminum Expedition is definately the top contender for a replacement vehicle in the next couple of years.

I am not a big deisel fan in general. I work around big trucks, and just don't like the fuel smell, but i supose I could get over that for enough fuel savings, since I would be filling up only every couple weeks of normal driving.

Anyones opinion on whether the 3.0 lion will be worth waiting for?

Think it will function with a 6 mile commute?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
If you do the math regarding fuel savings vs purchase price, with a 6 mile commute, a diesel may not make a lot of sense for you. The 2nd gen 3.5 Ecoboost is a great engine and parts and service will be much more easily available especially if you keep the truck for many years because that engine is used much more widely.

With Chrysler and Ford both facing possible emissions lawsuits over some of their existing diesel engines, I'd have cold feet about buying any diesel these days... I just noted that the 2018 Grand Cherokee brochure does not include mention of the 3.0 diesel engine used thru 2017.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:16 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I’d suggest with a 6 mile commute that mileage shouldn’t enter into any part of the thought process.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:22 PM
dlcorbett
Senior User
dlcorbett is starting off with a positive reputation.
No word on diesel, hybrid scheduled for 2021. For a 6 mi commute, you probably wont see much fuel savings.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Forresth
Junior User
I heard the deisel was scheduled for 2019.
I will ocasionally drive further than my comute, and even do it with a trailer now and then.
If I wanted a pure comuting vehicle, I would get a Prius (but the 12 volt system might not be able to handle the 6 mile commute)
besides, the deisel upgrade premium will probably not be that ohnerous, at least nothing like that of a 6.7L upcharge.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
YoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud ofYoGeorge has much to be proud of
The upcharge for a 3 liter diesel in the Grand Cherokee was $5000, although the base 3.5 Ecoboost in the Expy is more expensive than the normally aspirated 3.6 Pentastar in the Grand Cherokee. But I still feel like 5 grand would be a logical target price for such an upgrade.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:20 PM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Navigator (built on the same T3 Platform as the Expedition, same factory) cleaned up North America Truck of the Year awards this past month.................

Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 PM
alwaysfords41
Posting Guru
alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.alwaysfords41 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Whoa, hold on, topic is taking a sharp left turn.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Forresth
Junior User
I saw $800 as a number thrown around somewhere. I thought it was very light, but maybe if Ford is desperate for CAFE numbers, 5mpg? is a sizable increase and probably worth suplamenting. I could see maybe paying up to $3k extra at most, but $5k would be right out.

the 3l would be replacing the 3.5l, and the 3.5 already has plenty of expensive parts tossed in, like a turbo, where as the 3l has a pretty decent share of its r&d paid for by European customers.

let's not forget the 3.5 is almost $3k over the base 3.3, so to be in line with dodge power train pricing, that would be a $2k option on the expedition.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 PM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
You might be right about lower pricing (I did note the EB is much pricier than the basic Pentastar) but I think it's unlikely it would be less than $3 grand. It's gonna take different fuel system components, etronics, etc.

The Chrysler diesel was also developed in Europe and was not a new engine--but came under emissions scrutiny.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:21 AM
Forresth
Junior User
Of course it,will take different components than the 3 5, just saying the 3.5 uses plenty of expensive parts. 800 over the 3.5 would be a 3700 option cost over the 3.3, so even the cheapest number tossed out isn't terribly cheap
​​

Old 01-19-2018, 08:42 AM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
Yeah, but it's not like the Expedition is an economy vehicle in any form....it's one of Ford's biggest cash cows. I think the EB over the 3.3 has the 10 speed trans vs the 6 speed built in, and may also have heavier drivetrain parts, so the premium for the engine alone is probably somewhat less....

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 AM
Forresth
Junior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
Yeah, but it's not like the Expedition is an economy vehicle in any form....it's one of Ford's biggest cash cows. I think the EB over the 3.3 has the 10 speed trans vs the 6 speed built in, and may also have heavier drivetrain parts, so the premium for the engine alone is probably somewhat less....
I think Dodge steps up the tranny going from 3.6 to the 3.0l as well, so that aspect is pretty much a wash.
The eccoboost already has the heavier transmission, as you said. The 3.5Ls have more torque than the deisel (470 ftlbs in the base expys, 480 in the premium and 510 in the Navigator vs 440 for the lion), so I doubt it would need stronger than the base 10 speed. The major driveline difference between the F150 and the Expedition is just the IRS in the Expedition. If the diff can handle the hot 3.5, no doubt it can handle the lion.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM
YoGeorge
Postmaster
Hey...I was just reading the Detroit News article on the Det Auto Show and they listed the F150 diesel as a new thing. Only available on the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum. And they said the upcharge would be "at least $3000"... So I'll stick with the $3-5 grand estimate for the diesel upcharge on the Expy

Old 01-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Forresth
Junior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
Hey...I was just reading the Detroit News article on the Det Auto Show and they listed the F150 diesel as a new thing. Only available on the Lariat, King Ranch, and Platinum. And they said the upcharge would be "at least $3000"... So I'll stick with the $3-5 grand estimate for the diesel upcharge on the Expy
the 3.5 is a $1600 option for the Lariat (base is the 2.7), so it should be less than $2000 to add the deisel to the Expedition based on "at least $3000" for the Lariat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas or Deisel for 2019

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: