Fuel additives During 6.7L Breakin - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Fuel additives During 6.7L Breakin

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 01-18-2018, 09:49 AM
vochy
Senior User
vochy is starting off with a positive reputation.

Diesel experts, should you use a fuel additive like Opti-lube or Power Service during the first 1000 mile break-in period on a 2017 6.7L?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Shoester
Junior User
Shoester is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think I recall seeing in the manual a statement indicating that no fuel additives should be used during engine break-in.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 PM
DeputyDiesel
Senior User
DeputyDiesel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used power service every other tank for the first couple thousand then changed to Ford PM22 every fill up now. I run it to 1/4 tank which puts about 20 gallons of new diesel in. So I bought some 4 OZ bottles and fill them with 3ozís of PM22. I believe I did my math right.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Robb81
Senior User
Robb81 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only time you NEED a diesel additive is when temps are low enough to gel the fuel.

If you WANT an additive that is another topic.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM
roadpilot
Elder User
roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by vochy View Post
Diesel experts, should you use a fuel additive like Opti-lube or Power Service during the first 1000 mile break-in period on a 2017 6.7L?
I did and I would. Cetane booster year round and anti-gel in the COLD winter months. The cetane booster is my preference and anti-gel is just smart.

Originally Posted by Shoester View Post
I think I recall seeing in the manual a statement indicating that no fuel additives should be used during engine break-in.
I'd be curious to know if this is accurate. Got a page number?

Originally Posted by DeputyDiesel View Post
I used power service every other tank for the first couple thousand then changed to Ford PM22 every fill up now. I run it to 1/4 tank which puts about 20 gallons of new diesel in. So I bought some 4 OZ bottles and fill them with 3ozís of PM22. I believe I did my math right.
I used PowerService products until someone schooled me on emulsifiers vs. demulsifers in an HPCR (high pressure common rail) fuel system like our PowerStroke. I quickly switched to Motorcraft PM22 and PM23.

Originally Posted by Robb81 View Post
The only time you NEED a diesel additive is when temps are low enough to gel the fuel.
Not accurate. A cetane booster is warranted if the cetane level in the fuel is lower than what the engine is designed to run at. That has been discussed ad nauseam here on the forums.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:51 AM
vochy
Senior User
vochy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the input so far guys. I read the owners manual and if I remember correctly the verbiage is something like: fuel additives are not necessary, however if they are used you should use the motorcraft additives or a product that meets there equivalent specs. That is kinda vague to me and didn't help with the break in question. On one hand a fuel lubricant seems like a great idea during break-in to prevent initial damage, on the other hand maybe these components need to "break-in" without the additional lube for proper longevity.
In the end I just want to do what is best for this truck to make it last as long as possible.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The correct fuel additives can only help imo.

Don’t use the kind like Power service or you will have problems...they make it nearly impossible for the fuel separator to remove water from the fuel.

I only use AMSoil or OptiLube which both separate any water from the fuel making it easier to keep water out of the fuel system.

Ford products work like amsoil and optilube.

Many of us buy trucks in the winter with extreme cold temps and using fuel additives is a must from the first tank.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55 View Post
I only use AMSoil or OptiLube which both separate any water from the fuel making it easier to keep water out of the fuel system.
This is a myth. There is no such fuel additive in existence that improves the function of the fuel/water separator.

Ford only recommends their additives or equivalent. Ford additives no NOT emulsify or demulsify water, and Ford does not recommend using any products that do.

As for the OP's question, if you use Ford additives or equivalent, you'll be just fine even on a new engine. Any other additive that emulsifies/demulsifies water, or has cleaning agents such as high levels of alcohol.... steer clear and don't use... ever.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Really??? Thatís news to me.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 AM
roadpilot
Elder User
roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
This is a myth. There is no such fuel additive in existence that improves the function of the fuel/water separator.
But there are fuel additives that decrease the performance of the fuel/water separator.

You NEVER want to PROMOTE passing water, especially in a HPCR fuel system. Anything with an emulsifier contributes to doing just that, including the PowerService products.

Using additives that promote emulsification cause the water molecules suspended in the fuel to separate, making them small enough to pass the fuel/water separator filter. Additives with demulsifiers do the opposite, and the filter can do it's job.

Ford additives no NOT emulsify or demulsify water
Everything I've ever read claims that PM22 promotes demulsification.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:38 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by roadpilot View Post
Everything I've ever read claims that PM22 promotes demulsification.
Ford doesn't promote emulsification or demulsification products. And I've never seen any Ford published literature or spec sheets on PM22 that would promote demulsification.

But I have seen numerous warnings in Ford publications and tech articles that specifically warn against using the wrong fuel additives. They state emulsification products and alcohol based products in particular, but they don't promote and/or warn about demulsification products. Ford is actually quite silent about demulsification.

So if they don't promote it and don't warn against it, I'm of the opinion that it's best not pursued as a viable option for additives in these trucks. In fact, my opinion is that demulsification is absolutely useless, is a marketing tool, and that in very extreme conditions can possibly contribute to water contamination problems.

Besides, the w/s works just fine. Diesel fuel naturally suspends a small amount of water, and the w/s is designed to handle that with no problem. The issue is fuel that is unnaturally heavy in water, but no amount of additives will help with that. With fuel that has a lot of extra water, the w/s will do it's job until it's full of water, then throw a light on the dash. At that point the driver had better stop immediately. Demulsifiers won't stop the w/s from filling up in those cases, or passing water to the engine if the driver continues to ignore the dash warning. Hence why I believe demulsifiers are completely useless and simply a marketing tool.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:47 PM
wfedwar
Senior User
wfedwar is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
All I've seen from Ford is to not use alcohol-based additives. That's all my manual says. Nothing about emulsifiers, demulsifiers, etc.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Painted Horse
Posting Guru
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
Decide why you think you need an additive. The choose an additive that solves that problem.

If you are in cold climate at a Anti-Gel
If you buying diesel that is low in Cetane, Then add a Cetane Improver
If you about lubricating the injectors and Fuel Pump, Then add something that boost Lubricity.

The bare minimum cetane in the US is usually 40. If I remember correctly, The manual says we should use 45 Cetane fuel. So I add an Cetane boost. If you live in an area that has premium diesel or where 45 cetane is normal., No additive needed.

Some of us lived thru the early days of 6.7L when there were rumors of HPFP failures. So some of us add Lubricating additives to make sure to protect that. Probably not needed. But old habits die hard.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:24 PM
Pocket
Originally Posted by wfedwar View Post
All I've seen from Ford is to not use alcohol-based additives. That's all my manual says. Nothing about emulsifiers, demulsifiers, etc.
In the Ford Workshop Manual that dealers access, there is a GSB called "Diesel Fuel System Service Tips". It's a guide for dealer technicians to properly diagnose fuel contamination issues.

Below are screen shots of the latest version where Ford repeatedly talks about dispersment/emulsifiers. They mention it quite a few times in a 20 page diagnostic guide. This is just FYI for those following this thread.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 AM
roadpilot
Elder User
Below are screen shots of the latest version where Ford repeatedly talks about dispersment/emulsifiers. They mention it quite a few times in a 20 page diagnostic guide. This is just FYI for those following this thread.
Thanks. Confirms what I've read elsewhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel additives During 6.7L Breakin

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.