EBPV outlet freeze plugs - give away - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBPV outlet freeze plugs - give away

Old 01-18-2018, 10:42 AM
Posting Guru

kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
EBPV outlet freeze plugs - give away

Since I have my turbo off I am also in the process of deleting my EBPV among other things. I already ordered and received the deleted pedestal and I removed the butterfly and plugged the hole in the housing with a 3/4 freeze plug. I ordered what I thought was two Melling 3/4 brass freeze plugs from autoplicity for 70 cents each plus shipping. Turns out, it was two 10 packs for 70 cents each. So now I have 19 freeze plugs...

I'm not sure if USPS will accept them in a letter size envelope but if anyone wants to give it a shot, send me a SASE and I will send you one free of charge(US only). Send me a message for my info.

I also sprayed the turbo housing with some VHT "Old Ford Blue".

Old 01-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Senior User

B-Rad88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm literally about to go to o rillies to get some VHT to paint the turbo and was thinking of this same exact color. I had the 1.0 housing and bypassed exhaust fitting ceramic coated black.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Posting Guru

mcali2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mcali2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Nice!. I welded that hole up.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcali2 View Post
Nice!. I welded that hole up.
Did you pre-heat the cast iron? I have a welder but my skills are low. I know many people that just use a freeze plug but Id rather weld it up too.

At least the outlet can be removed fairly easy without removing the whole turbo if I needed to weld it later on.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad88 View Post
I'm literally about to go to o rillies to get some VHT to paint the turbo and was thinking of this same exact color. I had the 1.0 housing and bypassed exhaust fitting ceramic coated black.
I like the color. Its actually left over paint I had from when I rebuilt my 4R100 on my previous F250 4 years ago. This thread has pictures and the build of the painted transmission.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-my-4r100.html
Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 AM
Senior User

BuddyBarnes is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post
Did you pre-heat the cast iron? I have a welder but my skills are low. I know many people that just use a freeze plug but Id rather weld it up too.

At least the outlet can be removed fairly easy without removing the whole turbo if I needed to weld it later on.
I welded mine without preheat.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Posting Guru

mcali2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.mcali2 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just welded it without preheat. I have welded cast many times and never had an issue.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:25 AM
Elder User

Shawn MacAnanny is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kameronth View Post

I took a bolt, ground the edges down so it was slightly round, dropped it in and welded it. No preheating or cooling, was on there 10k with no issues until i replaced with a new turbo and blank one.