Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking for pictures Irate t4 kit IDP

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:46 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Looking for pictures Irate t4 kit IDP

Hoping you all can help. I'm looking for pictures or write ups form people that installed the Irate t4 kit. I have a few questions on the kit and I think better pictures than I am finding online will answer them.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
This is all second hand information, but I have been told that Carson Stauffer Diesel is a great source for the kit.

https://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com/pages/t4-turbo-kit

You are able to order the exducer with a 74mm wheel instead of the 68mm (I think it is) with a .91 housing.

Some have bought a longer silicone coupler for the drivers side in the length of 3" instead of the 2.5" that comes with the kit.

Depending on your exhaust, you may need a flex pipe, adapter or skills at joining the downpipe to the exhaust. Not difficult, but you should be aware.

When ordering, be sure to specify that you need to the CAC tube with or without the CCV tube port, based on what you have on your truck.

You serious about jumping in the deep end with the BW/T4 setup or still trying to decide? Maybe you should take the lead on a "how-to". I can help you with the video editing if you like...

Old 01-26-2018, 04:16 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Hoping you all can help. I'm looking for pictures or write ups form people that installed the Irate t4 kit. I have a few questions on the kit and I think better pictures than I am finding online will answer them.

Thanks.
What specifically do you want to know?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:22 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Assuming nothing changes by the end of February I plan to order "something" I had seen a few threads that show the details of the csd kit recently and was talking with a vendor over the past days (while wondering if the flu would kill me) and they sell and recommend the irate kit. I am hoping to compare the 2 kits as prices are comparable. 2365 or 2559 to my door. Looking to see what is different or better about one over the other.

A few rambling thoughts:

My passenger side ic pipe is worn thin from the loom on the map sensor. I adjusted this so it will not get worse. Looks like IDP has this pipe but CSD does not?

looking at the picture above the IDP downpipe does not make sense. I do not see how it fits. looks like the rotation between the first and second bends is 180. That would point it out under the passenger door? I'm missing something here...

I see a pipe for the intake but nothing to couple it to the turbo on the IDP kit.

Oil return from turbo is different between the 2 kits. not sure if one is better than the other.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:36 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CSD kit uses the stock oil feed and return whereas the Irate kit returns the oil by removing a plug in the valley where the OBS mechanical fuel pumps used to be. The kit it that pic looks incomplete. I can’t tell if the pipe at the top left is the intake, or part of the down pipe. I think Irate uses a two piece DP. I’m not sure what’s different about the Irate kit that needs the passenger side IC pipe, but the CSD kit reuses the stock pipe. Another difference is the intake spider. The Irate is welded stainless, while the CSD is cast aluminum, similar to stock.

Edit: Akcooper sent me this pic of the CSD DP

Old 01-26-2018, 06:27 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Man, those are some nice boots!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:03 AM
jgilrfr
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do these help

Old 01-27-2018, 10:12 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks. Now I see how the return fitting is in the valley. Probably go with the csd kit

Old 01-27-2018, 10:22 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Thanks. Now I see how the return fitting is in the valley. Probably go with the csd kit
Check this thread out: My 600hp 7.3 build - PowerStrokeArmy

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by akcooper9
Check this thread out: My 600hp 7.3 build - PowerStrokeArmy

Thanks. Now I understand the irate down pipe and I like that.

Decisions decisions...

Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I had not seen those NLTD (No Limit Tuning and Design) plenum covers before. After viewing their website, the plenums do not appear to be available anymore.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:44 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Plans changed. Talked on the phone and text/email with a few vendors. Going to get as much feedback from as many sources as possible and order something on Monday.

So to those of you that have been down this road what did you like or dislike about your install? What kit did you use?

I am currently on the fence between the Irate and CSD install kits. Complete package shipped to my door with a 366sxe is comparable. Irate is 95.26 more, has both intercooler pipes and I like this downpipe better. CSD is less and I like the turbo oil return better. Flip a coin?

Truck has been parked since early December trying to keep it out of the salt. I currently don't need it so I can work on it without it needing to be back on the road in 24 hours like I normally do. I do not want to do it all outside in the snow like Quick444 though so it may be March when I work on it.

Plan is:

1 Replace oil cooler seals first and drive to verify I didn't botch it up and mix coolant/oil. Currently it is ok just small external oil leak at the cooler. Coolant and oil look good. This has been the case for some time but should be fixed.

2 Flush coolant and replace with the ELC I picked up.

3 Pull turbo and etc, HPO hoses, HPOP. Have small leak in front of valey I think is HPOP. Hoping when it is out it will be obvious. Everything seems to be good just have oil in the valley and I want it dry.

4 reinstall HPOP.

5 T4 mount install along with Riffraff FRx return.

6 Profit? Doubtful. I plan to keep all my parts for a second truck in the future.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Why did you decide with the 366sxe vs. the 364.5?

Do these kits come with EVERYTHING you need to go from your current setup to a working T4 setup truck? The reason why I ask is because I had seen on some of the sites that a T4 is for sale, then a turbo super core is for sale, then a turbine is for sale. You see where I am going with this?

Does either vendor have a problem with you still having a CCV port on the intake tube?

I understand your concern about the Irate kit and the oil supply, that is why I lean toward the CSD kit as well. What makes you like the Irate downpipe better?

Having both CAC pipes as new with the kit, that is a plus for sure.

In my opinion, $95 is negligible and you have a good decision in front of you.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:29 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sous
Why did you decide with the 366sxe vs. the 364.5?
1 From what I remember reading the 364.5 has 2 different turbine shafts and one was preferred. please correct me if I'm wrong . I looked at simplifying my options with the 366.
2 Kc chose the 366 to copy (imitation is the best form of flattery) and had success with it.
3 Of the vendors I spoke with no one said hey you might be better with the 364.5. One also said I could consider the 369 for future options but the 366 would be better suited with my current setup.

Do these kits come with EVERYTHING you need to go from your current setup to a working T4 setup truck? The reason why I ask is because I had seen on some of the sites that a T4 is for sale, then a turbo super core is for sale, then a turbine is for sale. You see where I am going with this?
I think so? That is part of my question for the people that have done this but I should have asked it specifically. I will be verifying when I order to be sure. Either way I am ordering it is 1 part number sold as a kit.

Does either vendor have a problem with you still having a CCV port on the intake tube?
No clue but I have it rerouted so it is not a concern for me.

I understand your concern about the Irate kit and the oil supply, that is why I lean toward the CSD kit as well. What makes you like the Irate downpipe better?
From what I read in a instruction sheet or review of the csd kit it said to install the downpipe before installing the up pipes because you can't later. To me this sounds like the downpipe is not removable in the future if needed to for some unknown reason. I need to verify the irate one does not also need to be installed first. plus I think the Irate one looks cool. not really valid but truthful. Also not that I want to go modifying anything but have considered making the Irate oil return from turbo like the csd.

Having both CAC pipes as new with the kit, that is a plus for sure.
Yes. my passenger one is a little beat up and if spending the money it would be nice if they matched. not really valid but truthful.

In my opinion, $95 is negligible and you have a good decision in front of you.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:50 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Where does the Irate kit pick up the oil at for the turbo? I think I had read somewhere it was a port in the middle of the valley?

Is the downpipe on either kit opened up at the bottom end to mate up to your 4" exhaust, or will you need a large clamp or piece of flex pipe to make a good connection?

Would you mind posting up all of the part numbers or invoice when you have finalized the sale?

Quick Reply: Looking for pictures Irate t4 kit IDP