2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Mildly optimistic...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:38 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Mildly optimistic...

Okay so the Ranger gets a 2.3L EcoBoost as the initial engine offering. I'm cool with that and would like to see the same engine offered in the new Bronco as well.

Then this....

"On Tuesday Ford said that, over the next couple of years, it expects utility-vehicle mix will increase 10 percentage points, while its car portfolio will shrink about 10 percentage points.

"We have a rock solid foundation and we have seen growth in key areas, but we know we must evolve to be even more competitive, and narrow our full line of nameplates in all markets, to a more focused lineup that delivers stronger, more profitable growth, with better returns," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, said in a statement.

Farley said that means focusing on performance SUVs and “authentic off-roaders.” He said that’s a space Ford can get higher profits even in a crowded utility field."

It sounds like they really want to be a player doesn't it? Give us a removable top and two door / four door options and people will be beating down your door. I really hope that is the case! If it is - Ford Performance better be well prepared for MASSIVE accessory sales.

So there it is - I am mildly optimistic.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP
Okay so the Ranger gets a 2.3L EcoBoost as the initial engine offering. I'm cool with that and would like to see the same engine offered in the new Bronco as well.

Then this....

"On Tuesday Ford said that, over the next couple of years, it expects utility-vehicle mix will increase 10 percentage points, while its car portfolio will shrink about 10 percentage points.

"We have a rock solid foundation and we have seen growth in key areas, but we know we must evolve to be even more competitive, and narrow our full line of nameplates in all markets, to a more focused lineup that delivers stronger, more profitable growth, with better returns," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, said in a statement.

Farley said that means focusing on performance SUVs and “authentic off-roaders.” He said that’s a space Ford can get higher profits even in a crowded utility field."
https://www.autonews.com/article/201...-2017-earnings

Some of those quotes are promising for a genuinely capable Bronco. It would sound as if Ford is actually focused on taking a big bite out of the lucrative segment Jeep has had all to itself for a while with the Wrangler and other Trailhawk / Trail Rated models.

It is still hard to tell when we don't know how serious Ford is about the objective capability of the Bronco.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Not looking promising at the moment folks. Ford has recently begun using the term "Bronco SUV" and that's like saying "Mustang - performance car". They wouldn't need to tell people what the Bronco is IF IT WAS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!

Ford can build an electric unicycle with Sync 7.2.1 and call it a "Bronco" and that's their right. I'm just not seeing any indications that are promising for a Bronco enthusiast such as myself.

Only time will tell as Ford has been keeping a tight lid on this project.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:28 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
For anyone wanting a removable top stop dreaming. Start reading. Unless ford spends huge money on roll bars and meets current standards and complies with the law it will not happen.

49 CFR S571.3: "...a vehicle having no occupant compartment top or an occupant compartment top that can be installed or removed by the user at his convenience

Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just don’t believe no way no how they’d drop the ball on this they know what people want and what people expect or even hope for when the words Ford Bronco are mentioned. Guarantee they deliver something desirable and also expect a Ranger Raptor after a refresh in a couple years.... I’d even say a Raptor Bronco could be very likely. Good times ahead

Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 AM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
For anyone wanting a removable top stop dreaming. Start reading. Unless ford spends huge money on roll bars and meets current standards and complies with the law it will not happen.

49 CFR S571.3: "...a vehicle having no occupant compartment top or an occupant compartment top that can be installed or removed by the user at his convenience

It's this attitude that is killing me... And perhaps killing FoMoCo as well - the "I can't" attitude! A bankrupt Fiat/Chrysler can do it but FORD MOTOR COMPANY just "can't" !?!?! It is not IF they can do it it is if they WANT to do it. I am old enough to remember the debacle of the Mustang II and the point when the front wheel drive Ford Probe could have become the next Mustang. Ford can make good decisions and really terrible decisions!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Originally Posted by SDDL-UP
Not looking promising at the moment folks. Ford has recently begun using the term "Bronco SUV" and that's like saying "Mustang - performance car". They wouldn't need to tell people what the Bronco is IF IT WAS WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!...
I'm going to cross my fingers and interpret that phrasing as Ford making a point to distinguish the Bronco from so many other things claiming to be SUVs, which are really just big unibody crossovers, which lack a traditional "sport" or "utility" capability. The average person going down the road is going to look at them and see the same thing, a largeish, high center of gravity, wagon shape, and be unaware of the different underpinnings and the effect they have on capability.

Think of what Chevy did to the Blazer. Ford probably wants to make sure everyone knows they didn't do the same thing to the Bronco nameplate. Heck, they have been calling the Explorer an SUV too, even though that has been a unibody crossover for a long time. Maybe now that they're dropping sedans, they'll start making a better/bigger distinction between the crossovers and few remaining body-on-frame SUVs in their lineup.

I guess we'll find out Wednesday when they launch the new Explorer, and see/hear what they call it.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Stampede - I appreciate you optimism! Perhaps that's what I need in the new year - some of your optimism! Ford really could crush this thing out if the park, but that WILL NEVER HAPPEN with the "They can't do this because..." or "They can't do that because..." attitudes I see floating around.p

Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Creating any vehicle from the ground up requires "huge money" and every model sold "meets current standards and complies with the law". Do you think the roll/crash protection hidden behind the sheetmetal of most cars requires substantially less engineering than what is in a new Wrangler? They seem to design, manufacture, market, and sell their units with little in the way of "dreaming".

In the grand scheme of things, it is simply another design element and engineering issue - none of it even remotely insurmountable. If their market research indicates that the cost of a particular design element is worth the reward, they'll make the investment. If not, we get another Explorer with lipstick.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:59 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

We can't change today's standards, but it's a bunch of horse manure. We've got local street rod clubs running around in T-buckets and other topless vehicles with no seat belts. Some of them aren't much more than a seat and an engine mounted to a frame.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:27 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's going to be better than the pessimists hope for and worse than the optimists expect.

It'll be a Ranger. With an SUV body instead of a bed. Same engine, same tranny. Maybe some styling differences. But it's going to be a Ranger. It will be 4 doors. It will not have the removable top like the Broncos of old.

Hopefully I'll be wrong, but the realist in me is pretty certain that it's just going to be a Ranger.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 PM
hd4ever
Senior User
If it is going to be a ranger with a suv body! How in the world is that going to compete with the Wrangler like they said???????

I am getting sick of waiting.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:55 AM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I could definitely see Ford saying that it will compete with the Wrangler even if it is a Ranger. Marketing always seems to talk with their head up their own ***.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:23 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In that same vein, the Colorado is selling like hotcakes. I would guess a similar market for the Ranger. Making a Ranger SUV (same design, just with rear doors and a liftgate) could see some action, particularly if it's a replacement for the Explorer. Making it somewhat more capable than a camping/mild offroad machine in the form of a trim option could give it a niche, but it would fall well short of the retro-styled hardcore-capable vehicle Ford has teased.

The clock ticks.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m telling you guys they’re gonna bring it with this new Bronco. Ford is already all but out of the car business and going close to all in on just SUVs and trucks. They want a piece of that pie which includes Wranglers, Tacomas and Colorados. With the Ranger return and soon refresh they’ll no doubt take a big bite out of Tacoma. Bronco will have Wrangler fans as well contemplating life decisions real soon

Quick Reply: Mildly optimistic...