2015 F350 remote start during cold weather. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

2015 F350 remote start during cold weather.

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Old 01-17-2018, 10:56 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
Fefanatic is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just purchased a 2015 F350 Superduty with 6.7 that has remote start. This morning it was -1 degrees and I tried to get it to start. It would flash the lights and then after a few seconds honk the horn. No start. I stepped out on the front deck and watched and listened when I tried the remote start again. The lights flashed, I heard a click under the hood, no crank and then the horn honked.
I walked out and started the truck with the key and it fired right up.

Does anyone know if there is a temperature limit for the remote start? Will it not function under a certain temperature? I talked to the dealer about it but as is the case once it was warm the remote start worked fine.

To be clear it wasn't a situation that it cranked and didn't start, if failed to crank in the first place.

I'm going to have other questions in the near future as I explore all the bells and whistles in this thing.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:14 AM
OneCylinder
Senior User
OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check you owner's manual, it should have a schedule like this.

2 Chirps
BRAKE is being pressed, or the HOOD is open

3 Chirps
One of the vehicles DOORS are open

4 Chirps
TACH not programmed - see dealer

5 Chirps
The KEY is in the ignition

6 Chirps
The Remote Start System is in SERVICE/VALET mode

Old 01-18-2018, 03:19 AM
seville009
Posting Guru
seville009 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is no temperature regulator; should start.

My guess is that your truck battery might just be weak enough to not allow it to start remotely. Check the charge.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 AM
OneCylinder
Senior User
OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.OneCylinder is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The system is working, when the lights flash it's confirming the signal was recieved. The horn chirp lets you know it could not proceed due to a default. For example; an opened door, opened hood, key in the ignition, etc.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:13 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by OneCylinder View Post
Check you owner's manual, it should have a schedule like this.

2 Chirps
BRAKE is being pressed, or the HOOD is open

3 Chirps
One of the vehicles DOORS are open

4 Chirps
TACH not programmed - see dealer

5 Chirps
The KEY is in the ignition

6 Chirps
The Remote Start System is in SERVICE/VALET mode

That schedule is for older, wire-in Ford remote start systems. Starting in 2011 the Super Duty went to a different remote start system and doesn't use this schedule and does not have that sequence of horn honks.

But you are correct that the truck wouldn't start because it detected a fault at the time of remote start. The remote start system will not work if:

The ignition is on.
The alarm system is triggered.
You disable the feature.
The hood is open.
The transmission is not in park (P).
The vehicle battery voltage is too low.
The service engine soon light is on.
The vehicle is low on fuel.

To the OP, double check to make sure there's no check engine light on. If not, then the most likely scenario is the temperatures dropped the battery voltage below the threshold for a remote start, but not below the threshold for a key start.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Fefanatic
Senior User
This happened while I was doing the test drive and kept it over night. It is listed as a fault the dealer owes me if it continues to happen. I went ahead and bought the truck knowing the issue. It only happened once and started fine this morning at 17 degrees out. Hopefully batteries are not an issue. So far this winter I have had to replace batteries in 5 vehicles and two had doubles. Two more batteries will make niine. I need a break in that department.

FWIW, the horn only honked once when it failed to start. We shall see what happens in the future. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:55 PM
jetjockey99
Elder User
jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jetjockey99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My '03 with an aftermarket remote start does this about twice a year, I believe that it "thinks" the batteries are too low, but it always starts with the key. Also when it does this I can't rearm the remote to keep truck running until the truck warms up, so I do believe it is a low temp voltage misread, and that is probably also your problem.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM
Chuck-B
Elder User
Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chuck-B is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My '13 chirps twice no matter what it's issue is or I had a DEF code, it wouldn't "remote start", chirped twice. Hood open and door open also produced 2 chirps. There is a way to reset the thing, maybe someone can post how to do that, I think I went into the remote start setting, turned remote start off, started the truck with the key, turned the truck off and then turned remote start on. When I had the DEF issue I would clear the codes 1st. You should probably check to see if you have any codes.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:16 AM
RailDawg
Junior User
RailDawg is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2011 F350 every now and then won’t remote start.

New batteries but I think it’s just a glitch that sometimes happens.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM
12F350
New User
12F350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any chance you had a door ajar . Once you got in the truck it closed ? For auto start to work, it first locks all doors . Mine won't auto start if all the doors won't lock .

Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM
Fefanatic
Senior User
I haven't had an issue since but it hasn't been back below zero outside either. Doors were shut, hood was shut, I checked them when it failed to start.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 12F350 View Post
Any chance you had a door ajar . Once you got in the truck it closed ? For auto start to work, it first locks all doors . Mine won't auto start if all the doors won't lock .
The doors will lock with them ajar. I remote start mine all the time with the doors open.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM
jav_eee
Senior User
jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sometimes the switch under the hood goes bad. It won't start if it thinks the hood is open. Check it.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Lawnpro979
Senior User
Lawnpro979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My aftermarket system that Ive had for 12 years has done this 3 times in the 12 years.

“ for me” its an indication that my battery is about to go out....

I just replaced my battery last week....