1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

starter upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:05 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
starter upgrade?

I am having issues finding info on doing the starter mod. What do I need to do or get? My truck seems slow on the cranking . It's not bad but after putting in 2 1000 amp batteries I feel it should be much faster. some times it is.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Need a 2 bolt SD starter. I use a 02 year model. The only thing that need to me done is the small ring terminal need to be drilled out a little for it to fit the new starter

Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 PM
1fastktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mcali2
I am having issues finding info on doing the starter mod. What do I need to do or get? My truck seems slow on the cranking . It's not bad but after putting in 2 1000 amp batteries I feel it should be much faster. some times it is.

You have a couple options. A genuine Denso starter is a nice upgrade, bolts right up. Another less common upgrade is to use a 6.7 Powerstroke starter that has been modified. It bolts up to, the 7.3 and spins the engine over quite a bit faster than stock. I have a brand new Ford 6.7 starter modded setting in my garage.

Have you tested the starter for amp draw? What do your cables ohm out at? It sounds odd you say sometimes it starts slow.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:28 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastktm
You have a couple options. A genuine Denso starter is a nice upgrade, bolts right up. Another less common upgrade is to use a 6.7 Powerstroke starter that has been modified. It bolts up to, the 7.3 and spins the engine over quite a bit faster than stock. I have a brand new Ford 6.7 starter modded setting in my garage.

Have you tested the starter for amp draw? What do your cables ohm out at? It sounds odd you say sometimes it starts slow.
2000-2003 7.3 starter is a 2 bolt gear reduction starter and will spin it faster than the stock 3 bolt planetary gear starter and less work.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM
1fastktm
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fordpride
2000-2003 7.3 starter is a 2 bolt gear reduction starter and will spin it faster than the stock 3 bolt planetary gear starter and less work.
The 6.7 starter will spin faster than the Visteon/TYC 2 bolt OSGR starter in later 7.3s The 6.7 starter is an upgraded OSGR starter compared to the 7.3 version.

I like the 6.7 starter since it is brand new Ford. Only other option is a brand new Denso starter if you want Tier I or II Ford supplier. Otherwise you are stuck with remans, china copies, or "new" parts store starters.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:53 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru

Man, I'm electrical dumb. I can plug and play. It just seems it should spin faster. I could be wrong. The cables could be getting old. The ends are cut off and clamped into the post via the aftermarket battery clamp on a battery. How do I Ohm them?

Old 01-17-2018, 11:28 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
to ohm them out I have to pull them off completely right or just one end and get the other end close enough for the meter to read?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,168 Likes on 949 Posts
http://m.thoroughbreddiesel.com/denso-stock-replacement-starter-94-03-ford-powerstroke-7-3l.aspx

That is where I bought my Denso. Amazing difference.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:43 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
ohming them out isn't going to give good results

measure voltage drop when cranking will tell you how bad they are

Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Man, I'm electrical dumb. I can plug and play. It just seems it should spin faster. I could be wrong. The cables could be getting old. The ends are cut off and clamped into the post via the aftermarket battery clamp on a battery. How do I Ohm them?
In my opinion, those clamp on cable ends are a temporary fix at best. They are just another place for corrosion to set in. I would go with new cables, either premade or you can get everything you need to make the cables from a good parts house. If you decide to make the cables use at least 00 gauge cable.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:06 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by knottyrope
ohming them out isn't going to give good results

measure voltage drop when cranking will tell you how bad they are

And how do I do that? Measure power at the battery post while cranking then the same at the starter?

Old 01-18-2018, 09:08 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru

Are you offering the starter for sale? how much?
is the 6.7 faster than the denso.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM
BuddyBarnes
Laughing Gas
Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts
6.7 starter modified? I have not heard of this. Can you explain?

Old 01-18-2018, 10:17 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
And how do I do that? Measure power at the battery post while cranking then the same at the starter?
correct. if you have a big drop across the wire, that is a voltage loss to the starter.

I put my lead on battery post and to starter post to measure

then engine block to neg on battery

then test both with one battery removed and repeat on other battery

Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Now I'm more confused... how to you measure power if both leads are on the same side? + or -

I was thinking taking power reading at battery red to + post and black to Neg post. get reading. then go to starter, red to + on starter and Black to the starter base or grounding wire if there is one. is this the way to do it?

I'm just reading voltage right.
Also if there was a power drop would it not be the same if cranking or not cranking the engine?

thanks for edumacating me.

Quick Reply: starter upgrade?