Triton v10 funky missfire - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Triton v10 funky missfire

Old 01-17-2018, 07:36 PM
urebro
New User
urebro is starting off with a positive reputation.
Triton v10 funky missfire

I've got a 2002 ford f250 superduty that has the 6.8 triton v10 and about 130k miles, and it will run fine when starting in the ten degree weather, but a mile or two down the road will start having a nasty missfire. Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Boaterguy
Senior User
Boaterguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might be a few things, do you have a check engine light? Faulty coil on plug possibly? Does it have a pronounced miss or hardly running when it happens?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:50 PM
urebro
New User
I have no check engine lights, and it is a pronounced miss, it has lost a whole lot of power though.

how would I go about figuring out which cylinder the missfire is in?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
A misfire on this truck wouldn't set a check engine light unless it was equipped with CA emissions. Scan it for codes and see what shows, I'm willing to be you have a failing coil.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 PM
urebro
New User
thank you, I will check that tomorow.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 PM
Boaterguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
A misfire on this truck wouldn't set a check engine light unless it was equipped with CA emissions. Scan it for codes and see what shows, I'm willing to be you have a failing coil.
Why is That? The obd2 should detect a misfire once it happens x amount if times, I have never heard that it's only on carb compliant vehicles.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Boaterguy View Post
Why is That? The obd2 should detect a misfire once it happens x amount if times, I have never heard that it's only on carb compliant vehicles.
Because the early Super Duties weren't OBD2.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...t-come-on.html

Technically OBD1 compliant, which means CEL will not illuminate for a misfire code.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:43 PM
Boaterguy
Senior User
See? You learn something new every day.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:53 PM
Tom
Yeah, it threw me for a loop on my old Excursion. I thought it was misfiring, but was perplexed by the lack of a check engine light.

Scanned the PCM and saw misfire codes, and then I read that it wasn't OBD2.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 AM
Bugzilla46310
Senior User
Bugzilla46310 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bugzilla46310 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bugzilla46310 has a very good reputation on FTE.Bugzilla46310 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I vote on the coil. Going to Disney towing a 30' camper, about an hour out I lost a coil. Made it to Georgia ok on 9 and had the work done at a shadey Ford dealer (complained to Ford but they stated they could do nothing). No warning lights ever came on. Had a Ford dealer in Florida redo the bad work (brakes) and that drained most of our vacation cash. It was and still is, a memorable trip.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM
Copper.Farm
Posting Guru
Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Copper.Farm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check the vacuum line for the MAP sensor, they tend to crack.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:28 PM
urebro
New User
Originally Posted by Copper.Farm View Post
Check the vacuum line for the MAP sensor, they tend to crack.
where is the MAP sensor?

Old 01-18-2018, 02:29 PM
urebro
New User
update

I've hooked it up to a code reader and it shows no faults, I've also learned that it is burning oil, this isn't a head gasket issue, is it?

there's also a slight smell of antifreeze, but I spilled some on the engine recently, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it

Last edited by urebro; 01-18-2018 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Tom
Originally Posted by urebro View Post
I've hooked it up to a code reader and it shows no faults, I've also learned that it is burning oil, this isn't a head gasket issue, is it?
It's possible, but lots of us have had properly running V10s that go through oil. Mine would burn a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. How fast is it going through oil?

there's also a slight smell of antifreeze, but I spilled some on the engine recently, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
It could have something to do with it. Is the coolant level stable, or is it dropping? It shouldn't consume any coolant.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.maticuno is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When was the last time the IAC was cleaned/replaced?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Triton v10 funky missfire

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.