2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Any downside to vinyl floor vs carpet on Lariat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:17 PM
Sf jakey
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Any downside to vinyl floor vs carpet on Lariat?

What is the downside of the vinyl floor (carpet delete) option on a Lariat build? Anybody have it and not like it? Does it offer the same insulation and noise dampening as carpet? I’m placing my order tomorrow, and this is my last uncertainty. Seems like a no brainer for a guy who uses his truck like a truck, but maybe I am missing something.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:19 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
I would say resale. People like carpet if they are spending that kinda coin. Carpet may add to noise insulation when you think about it.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:23 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered my lariat with carpet delete. I see no downside. After 100,000 miles and 4 kids in it all the time and using it as a real truck for the farm it is holding up well. Truck can be cleaned out nicely and doesn't hold odours so I think it would help resale.

Old 01-31-2021, 06:26 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know it is not the same but you could always add carpet floor mats later and replace them when they are uncleanable. You can not get carpet delete later or replace the carpeting easily. My last truck I had wore the carpet out under my feet so bad even through the floor mats.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:00 PM
ATC_F350
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I have the delete and don't regret it at all. I haven't ridden in a carpeted and non-carpeted truck back to back, but I can't see there being much difference.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:01 PM
Thevol
Tuned
Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Doesnt most everyone just put in rubber husky liners or something similar? Seems like it would be easier to clean if you can remove it than being permanently in the truck. If your truck sprung a leak or got drenched I could see how not having carpet would prevent holding water and subsequent mold though. I am sure carpet is quieter unless they use padding under the vinyl, that would kinda cancel out my previous comment about water holding.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:27 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
There is padding under the vinyl flooring.

I prefer the vinyl flooring over carpet because it is easy to clean. I also have a full floor, both front and rear, weathertech liner over the top of the vinyl flooring. I have no concern about anyone spilling anything on the floor, or tracking in mud. I don't know that the vinyl floor will really hurt resale value that much. Seems like there's as many people that prefer carpet as prefer vinyl.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:57 PM
Antoniodef
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I may be the minority, but I don’t like vinyl floors. Almost enough to be a deal breaker, and one of the big reasons I picked the truck I did off the lot. I run Husky liners in everything, so the carpet in my other truck with 100k miles still looks new. Also, living in northern Michigan, I would rather have carpet for any snow that makes it out of the Husky liner. Water on the vinyl floor is just gonna end up in the door sills. Last, I’ve seen more vinyl floors wore through at the gas pedal than carpet. I have a small construction business, so my truck pulls trailers, drives lots of dirt roads, and has me and another dirty guy in it everyday. But I also take my family camping and daily drive one of my work trucks everyday, and carpet feels nicer to me.

But you have to live with your truck, I don’t. Pick whatever works best for you. Either way, a new Lariat is a nice ride and you’ll like it.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 425 Likes on 238 Posts
'Downside' to vinyl flooring in a truck??!

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 01:02 AM
Ethan Brown
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had both. The rubber never looks clean after its first "baptism" and carpet is too easily protected with WeatherTech or Husky liners for me to risk having a unicorn truck nobody wants to buy on the used market. The resale issue is largely dictated by geography. I live in California, but my cousin who lives in Montana sells highly optioned trucks with rubber floors all year long.

Old 02-01-2021, 03:05 AM
Killer-Bimmer
More Turbo
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Vinyl every time... and ordered truck because all the payment pounders want carpet... more downsides to carpet in a truck that’s used like a truck vs final... you can put all the covers you want on carpet it’s still a big stinking sponge for smells, mildew, mold.... have never once seen carpet pulled out of a vehicle that wasn’t loaded with crap underneath...

And the statement about wearing holes through vinyl, ummm you know that the rubber floor mats still work with a vinyl floor... I’ve always had floor mats with a vinyl floor... strangest comment I’ve seen on an argument against vinyl....

Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Carpet delete , absolutely.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:14 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Sf jakey
What is the downside of the vinyl floor (carpet delete) option on a Lariat build? Anybody have it and not like it? Does it offer the same insulation and noise dampening as carpet? I’m placing my order tomorrow, and this is my last uncertainty. Seems like a no brainer for a guy who uses his truck like a truck, but maybe I am missing something.

If you are using your Truck 'Like a Truck" go with vinyl floor, I have not had a carpet in my trucks in 16 years. Carpets get dirty and stained so easy. Vinyl floor cleans up like a breeze!!! (coffee spills, water spills) Just my preference now. Road noise is not much different in my opinion. Or maybe I just got used to it seeing its been so long since I've had carpet in my truck's

Old 02-01-2021, 06:21 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
No carpet for me in any of my trucks and never hurts resale far as I can see. Dont care if it did cause I hate carpet.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:22 AM
Smindustries
Senior User
Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Sf jakey
If the feet of you or your passengers are ever dirty, there are no downsides.

More photos and opinions than one reasonably needs on the topic.

Quick Reply: Any downside to vinyl floor vs carpet on Lariat?