2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I cut up my Platnum grill

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Looks OEM, Great job!

I have no idea how powerful those lights are or how far they project...my buddy, an airline pilot, got his hands on 2 landing lights. With some effort he got them installed in the grill opening and they were bright (understatement of the year).

We kicked back, ate some pizza and waited till good and dark, then headed out. He knew a highway that was straight and flat. Off we go and he flips switch, WOW, we could see Cailf from N Texas. We drove out a bit then turned around and way out there was 2 headlights, he says, lets see when the guy starts flipping his headlights on an off telling us dim it.

In short time there was a flip, long pause and my buddy says lets see how far out he is when he goes for the multiple flips...did not take long, now this is funny, now the guy is REALLY flipping on and off, even funnier...and then and then the guy stops fipping and turns on his RED and BLUE's.

Ticket was written by one MAD county sheriff...

Keep that in mind...just sayin!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are definitely not for on road! I happen to be an airline pilot. I’ fly B737 in both the halogen and LED Landing light version. These are better then the halogen and rival the LED’s, probably brighter...... my old truck has the cree bulbs: no comparison. These would cause an accident. No bueno! I like your story! Great advice!

Old 01-17-2018, 08:57 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Plus their each only 40 amps

Old 01-17-2018, 10:00 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by J Standard
That is awesome!

Front plate has to go though...
I haven’t received my license plate yet.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:05 AM
goatram
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did He put in a transformer to up the volts to 28VDC from 12?; From an Aircraft Mechanic. Plus it will melt plastic if they get to close.

I like the Light Bar and the install looks good.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:25 AM
DerwoodF350
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn,, your beast is gonna look like a plane coming in for a landing!! Thats some sweet lighting!

Old 01-18-2018, 02:29 AM
DerwoodF350
New User
HA,, just read the other posts, your a pilot,,, perfect!

Old 01-18-2018, 03:40 AM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Looks OEM, Great job!

I have no idea how powerful those lights are or how far they project...my buddy, an airline pilot, got his hands on 2 landing lights. With some effort he got them installed in the grill opening and they were bright (understatement of the year).

We kicked back, ate some pizza and waited till good and dark, then headed out. He knew a highway that was straight and flat. Off we go and he flips switch, WOW, we could see Cailf from N Texas. We drove out a bit then turned around and way out there was 2 headlights, he says, lets see when the guy starts flipping his headlights on an off telling us dim it.

In short time there was a flip, long pause and my buddy says lets see how far out he is when he goes for the multiple flips...did not take long, now this is funny, now the guy is REALLY flipping on and off, even funnier...and then and then the guy stops fipping and turns on his RED and BLUE's.

Ticket was written by one MAD county sheriff...

Keep that in mind...just sayin!
Careful with that. There’s some guy on here who will drive his Super Duty into you if your lights are too bright (yeah... mods removed that post because the crazy was strong with him).

Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 AM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Love the look. I worry about cooling.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 AM
ansfdev
Junior User
Thanks for the info!

I don't mind cutting the grille but hopefully someone will come up with some mounts soon.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
Since I don’t want to move th3 ACC I’ve been looking at the possibility of LED bar in grill. Of course cutting up a $1000 grill gives me a bi5 of a chill. I haul horses in remote areas of th3 west. So I would like a little more light on a dark road to see black cows standing on the road.

I’m thinking I want a little simpler solution. Maybe just a single row vs double row lights.

Can your bottom lights tuck back in any deeper. I’d like them flush with the grill. It sure hard to figure out which light bar will match the curve of the grill the best.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:50 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Looks good man. Well done.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
I thought about that too. The light bars run along the frame. I don’t think airflow will be affected much. I’m hoping cooling won’t be an issue.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:25 PM
IamLee
Senior User
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
Since I don’t want to move th3 ACC I’ve been looking at the possibility of LED bar in grill. Of course cutting up a $1000 grill gives me a bi5 of a chill. I haul horses in remote areas of th3 west. So I would like a little more light on a dark road to see black cows standing on the road.

I’m thinking I want a little simpler solution. Maybe just a single row vs double row lights.

Can your bottom lights tuck back in any deeper. I’d like them flush with the grill. It sure hard to figure out which light bar will match the curve of the grill the best.
I cut some of the cooling fins on the top light to tuck it in. I’d have to do the same to the bottom light. I may still do that. I think the bumper helps balance it. I’ve got to look at it awhile before I decide.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:26 PM
pwm
Freshman User
looks good. any pics with the headlights on?

Quick Reply: I cut up my Platnum grill