2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I am so done with dealerships

Old 01-17-2018, 05:38 PM
BerndV
Mountain Pass
Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
This is why I always perform my own routine maintenance from day one, regardless of the make. It has repeatedly been my experience throughout life that if you want something done correctly, then you must do it yourself. Most people think that by taking it to the dealership for this type of routine maintenance, they will be getting an ASE certified tech changing their oil. Think again. Generally speaking, you are getting some kid that has been hired as a "lube tech" to perform this rather simple but vital procedure. A friend that owns a Ford as well as a Toyota dealership has told me in confidence that on more than one occasion, he has had to fire lube techs (and lot wash kids too) for returning from lunch with bloodshot eyes and smelling like weed. Premium brand import dealers (MB, Audi, BMW, Porsche) are usually the exception, but you also get a $150 bill for an oil change and fluid check.

When I was eighteen, I had a crappy old Datsun 210 and needed a LOF far away from home. I tried to watch the quick lube kid doing the work, but the manager shooed me away and assured me his guys knew what they were doing. I pulled out of the parking lot and the car began detonating severely at full throttle, so I pull over, check the oil level, and I find that it is overfilled by 3 quarts on an engine that held only 3.8 quarts with a filter change. As you might imagine, the manager was quite sheepish and embarrassed upon my return.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 379 Likes on 254 Posts
Took mine in for its first oil change/tire rotation/blah blah blah since it was free. Tires weren't rotated but they did air them up to 80 PSI. Jack asses.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM
DHR CREW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by super 6.8
Those surveys are powerful. I had a bad experience with my Taurus and let them have it on the survey. I got a call from the dealer within 3 hours asking me to come in so we could talk about how they could make it right. I'm still mad about that whole deal but the people that matter never find out about stuff that gets screwed up. Use that survey! BTW, they did make it right.
It's not due for the 2nd service yet.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:16 PM
tfsiii
Cross-Country
AS part of my Total care purchase, dealer offered 2 oil changes per year, and 50% discount on yearly Inspections over the 7 year life of my warranty. I have similar reservations in regards to dealerships in general, but I will give this one a try. Unfortunately, this sub par performance is not a dealership exclusive. Lots of mech shops/garages are woefully short of stellar performers. The state of modern mechanic's work is what convinced me years ago to learn and DIY. Good craftsman (in lots of fields) are getting harder to find .....

Old 01-17-2018, 06:19 PM
DHR CREW
New User
Originally Posted by BerndV
This is why I always perform my own routine maintenance from day one, regardless of the make. It has repeatedly been my experience throughout life that if you want something done correctly, then then you must do it yourself. Most people think that by taking it to the dealership for this type of routine maintenance, they will be getting an ASE certified tech changing their oil. Think again. Generally speaking, you are getting some kid that has been hired as a "lube tech" to perform this rather simple but vital procedure. A friend that owns a Ford as well as a Toyota dealership has told me in confidence that on more than one occasion, he has had to fire lube techs (and lot wash kids too) for returning from lunch with bloodshot eyes and smelling like weed. Premium brand import dealers (MB, Audi, BMW, Porsche) are usually the exception, but you also get a $150 bill for an oil change and fluid check.

When I was eighteen, I had a crappy old Datsun 210 and needed a LOF far away from home. I tried to watch the quick lube kid doing the work, but the manager shooed me away and assured me his guys knew what they were doing. I pulled out of the parking lot and the car began detonating severely at full throttle, so I pull over, check the oil level, and I find that it is overfilled by 3 quarts on an engine that held only 3.8 quarts with a filter change. As you might imagine, the manager was quite sheepish and embarrassed upon my return.
Totally agree with you. But god dammit I've been doing this kind of **** my whole life. I don't want to do it anymore. .So sick of people not doing their job no matter what it is. I said to my wife why do I have to know how to fix and repair everything I'm tired of being a know it all. It's hard when you have OCD!
I will probably just do it myself. Because now every time they say it's done and they pull it around I'm gonna have to crawl under it and pop the hood to make sure "the professionals " did their job correctly. Bull****.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:34 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When they offer to make it right, it might be worthwhile to ask them who their best technician is.

If you can build a positive relationship with a tech that's actually happy to see you, then you've got it made in the shade forever. It's as easy as tossing him the keys. Should he move or retire, there will be other techs competing to get that techs favorite customers. Heck, I've got the keys to every city building in 3 different cities. I go in, fix stuff, go home. it's a great relationship for both of us. 1/4 of my best customers, haven't seen my face in five years. I get the job done in pure stealth mode without bothering them for a second.

So you can schedule maintenance with just him. Might cost extra, recommend tipping extra if your allowed in the garage (some dealers, some clients only). And scheduling can be a PITA.

Sometimes the low level oil change guys do better than master techs. They aren't in as much of a hurry or stressed. Regular service might be wasting the master techs time. Depends on the shop. I can't pour oil without spilling it.

Basically, it's a tough situation for everyone involved. Getting everyone on the same page and working together ain't the easiest thing. And let's face it, in some states, it doesn't pay to be a auto tech. it's nearly impossible to find good techs in the SE. Like FL.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by tfsiii
Good craftsman (in lots of fields) are getting harder to find .....
Latest generations grew up pressing buttons and very few are mechanically competent. Our company is currently offering $1,500 sign-on bonus for experienced fitters (heavy metal fabricators) and I can pocket an extra $500 for bringing in a qualified employee. We need to increase our roll a few thousand.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
It's getting harder to be a good craftsman. I'm a service tech on nearly the same level as the engineers that made the product. Today I fished a chunk of metal out of a hole in a $88,000 copper radiator the size of a trucks long bed. And I didn't even get the job done, will have to go back next week to finish it off. Stuff happens.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM
expy03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare
Latest generations grew up pressing buttons and very few are mechanically competent. Our company is currently offering $1,500 sign-on bonus for experienced fitters (heavy metal fabricators) and I can pocket an extra $500 for bringing in a qualified employee. We need to increase our roll a few thousand.
Same problems in the construction industry. The qualified people are all working somewhere and the rest don’t want to put in the effort.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
We will probably lose 2k to attrition ... need to increase roll by 4k ... means we need to hire 6k. Tall order!

Old 01-17-2018, 07:34 PM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
It’s purely driven by greed that most dealerships suck. Low wages, crappy benefits, flat rate reimbursements only attract and keep those either unqualified or unable to make it in a reputable shop. Those with no experience but good aptitude do a few years to gain some experience and then move on to private shops that pay better and treat employees like people. Sure,mthere are some exceptions but formthe most part the least qualified folks work for dealers until they learn enough to get a decent paying job. What cracks me up is dealers have some ofmthe highest shop rates there are...

Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 PM
diamondbackmike2004
Senior User
oil and filter...and that is all i let the dealership do. now granted its free for life of vehical where i got my truck..so theres than.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:06 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
At over 60 years old, it has gotten harder and harder for me to crawl under a vehicle. Getting up off the ground is a painful experience. Plus, heavy snow made the job even less attractive. I have purchased three vehicles from this dealer and took them in for oil changes. I determined that I could not change my oil and filter, rotate the tires, and top off fluids for less than the $29.99 they charged for gas vehicles. However, they also have a well earned reputation for finding other stuff on the vehicle that really needs to be fixed - brakes, tie rod ends, shocks, etc. - so I took the Lincoln to a local garage. Turned out to be an even worse experience than the dealership. They used some brand of oil and filter that even Google never heard of, and all I got was the oil and filter change. No tire rotation or anything. So I thought I'd go back to the dealer since there's no way they could possibly come up with anything extra that needed fixed on a two and a half month old truck.
So yeah, the reality is I'm going to have to go back to doing my own maintenance on this truck to ensure it is done not only correctly, but done at all without causing other damage.

Originally Posted by diamondbackmike2004
oil and filter...and that is all i let the dealership do. now granted its free for life of vehicle where i got my truck..so theres than.
Free isn't worth it when stuff is stolen out of your truck, or the maintenance is done correctly or not at all.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:21 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have done those surveys before, and Given both my dealers a bad review on them, Never heard a word back I guess they have so many customers they just don't care. Of course one the the city utility vehicles and I know the city could care less how they are taken care of.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
$30.00 bucks LOLz. Isn't the oil alone worth more than that?

I can't even get a garage to rotate my work trucks tires. Even if I offer to pay extra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am so done with dealerships