2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Gas or diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:30 AM
Mysticstang
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas or diesel?

So I’m wondering the day we pull the plug on a new superduty to get either the gas or diesel?

i will be using this truck for both our lawn care business and pulling a camper. For right now the camper would only be a 5-6k in weight. But on the lawn care side it would be pull a dump that could weigh up to 10k but mostly just around town.

Of of course we all now the price difference is about $9k which is a lot of money! Could make the difference between a sly and a lariat which honestly I love out lariat f150 and want to have the big brother to that truck lol.

One other factor is that the 6.2 gas is a flex fuel correct? We have e85 for 1.19 currently so that would be a significant savings on fuel compared to 2.79 for diesel when it comes to around town driving.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:42 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go 6.2 4.30 STX.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:44 AM
Mysticstang
Junior User
I’m also curious what kinda mpg the gas and Diesel engines are getting... around town, highway, towing etc. I know there are factors but I’m just wanting to see what some others are getting on average.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:12 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by J Standard
I would go 6.2 4.30 STX.

Good recommndation

Old 01-17-2018, 06:24 AM
Mysticstang
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee

Good recommndation
I guess it is lol

Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a diesel guy but if all you're towing is 5-6k I would get a 6.2L with 3.73 gears not 4.30's cause you'll get better mpg since you're worried about fuel prices.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 AM
Mysticstang
Junior User
Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010
I'm a diesel guy but if all you're towing is 5-6k I would get a 6.2L with 3.73 gears not 4.30's cause you'll get better mpg since you're worried about fuel prices.
I’m not specifically worried about fuel prices... I was just stating what the e85 is currently going for by me compared to diesel. I am also a diesel guy... have had 7.3, 6.0 and also a medium duty Freightliner with the mbe900 in it. As for weight that is what the tt would weigh and eventually we will probably get a bigger one. And the trailer for the lawncare business could be 10-12k now that I think about it.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:39 AM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
If you get the gas get the 4.30's.
I have had trucks with the 4.30's and never regretted it.
You will get better mpg around town and it will be nearly the same unloaded on the highway. Pulling will be far better with the 4.30's on the highway with the camper.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 AM
Strokin-A-2010
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticstang
I’m not specifically worried about fuel prices... I was just stating what the e85 is currently going for by me compared to diesel. I am also a diesel guy... have had 7.3, 6.0 and also a medium duty Freightliner with the mbe900 in it. As for weight that is what the tt would weigh and eventually we will probably get a bigger one. And the trailer for the lawncare business could be 10-12k now that I think about it.
You'll get horrible mpg using E-85 and you won't make as much power.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:56 AM
Mr. Mcbeevee
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mysticstang
I’m also curious what kinda mpg the gas and Diesel engines are getting... around town, highway, towing etc. I know there are factors but I’m just wanting to see what some others are getting on average.
12 mpg running around, 8.5 towing a camper. I haven't taken it on a trip so I can't tell you about hwy mileage. This is on a 6.2 4x4 with 4:30 gears.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 AM
SloScooter
Senior User
If I am towing constantly then diesel would be my choice. A diesel makes its power around 1700 RPM and a gasser 4500-5500. Hence why I would get the diesel if I was towing 10-12k daily.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:02 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Sounds like you keep,your trucks for a long time and you have significant experience with oil burners. If you are planning on keeping this new truck to 250-300k mikes then I would go diesel.

Mpg in city will be around 2-5 mpg better on the diesel depending on how you drive it. Similar difference for highway. Similar difference while towing.

If you tow the TT in hilly terrain you will of course appreciate the power of the diesel but at the same time the addded weight over the front axle will help with stability.

You won’t get all the added cost of the diesel back at trade in time but you will get some of it.

Added bonus for diesel is that awesome diesel sound and performance.

Added bonus for gasser is the simplicity around maintenance and little worry in cold climates around starting, quicker heat up, long term nickel and dime repairs, etc.

Either way you will love the truck.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
There are lots of things to consider when making the choice. Most depends on how you use the truck. If I were buying a daily driver for around town, with occasional towing, I would likely get the 6.2 w/ the 4.30 gear. Lower cost of ownership and little benefit from the diesel.

I bought my truck primarily to tow a 9K car hauler long distances. It gets some daily driver use around town but its not my primary daily.

Here, gas is about 20 cents a gallon cheaper so that's a 7% savings per gallon. But the diesel engine gets more than 10% better mileage unloaded and probably 20% towing. Diesel operating costs are slightly higher and then add the additional $8600 engine option and you are likely to have lower ownership costs with the 6.2. Although the diesel will likely recover much of the cost of the engine option on resale.

E85 is an enigma. Its a lot cheaper per gallon but the lower BTU rating means you have to burn more of it to make the same power. So your mileage will go down as will the power the engine makes in most cases, depending on how good Ford's E85 tune is. If I were daily driving a 6.2 I would likely use E85 for around town and switch to normal 87 for towing.

Personal preference is also important. I like quiet vehicles and the 6.7 is the quietest diesel I know of. On the highway its as quiet as any gas engine but around town the sound is, to me, no better or worse than the 6.2. I love the power the 6.7 makes. Its so smooth and moves effortlessly, including towing the trailer. Remember it makes more than double the torque of the 6.2.

A friend of mine, who lives one block over, bought a 2017 6.2, CCSB, FX4, very similar to mine. I have driven his truck. I like it, it runs and drives nicely. Compared to my previous F350 6.0 it has good power but the 6.7 is in a whole different world when it comes to power.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM
DRKBC
Senior User
We have our own business and we lease or trucks and either buy them at end of term if we need another truck, or trade them back. The difference in the lease scenario for gas or diesel is not that much over the term of the lease, resale is fairly high and the residuals are such that we usually have equity in the trucks.
From a performance point of view either truck will do the job albeit Diesel does it pretty effortlessly. I don't think the service cost is really that big a deal in the grand scheme and Diesel in our area anyway is usually lower than gas, though it does vary, and as you know the mileage is better than gas particularly when towing or moving heavy things.
I live in a place where we have winter and with this truck it is a non-issue. I have a block heater for the really cold days and with the supplemental heater it really feels no different than driving a gas truck. The new diesels are really amazing, so quiet, easy starting and powerful. In the end whichever you choose will do the job and I am sure you'll love the truck.
Make sure you get the step for work and of course CCLB, is hard to beat for a work truck.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's this easy....

Gas for a Car or Light truck, especially for short commutes.
If you plan on using it as a heavy hauler or tow vehicle, then Diesel all the way.

Quick Reply: Gas or diesel?