2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Gas or diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 08:35 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pfff. 4.30's are so 2004.

4.56 at least.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:54 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricohman
What?
As a guy who builds engines I gotta say there is a lot more to making power than the swept volume of a cylinder.
And what of engines that have no injectors? They simply make less power on e85.
My 2009 F150 5.4 was rated for 10 more HP on E85. I tried E85 once and it did have more power. The mileage went from 17 to 11 though and it made my exhaust pipe black.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What?
As a guy who builds engines I gotta say there is a lot more to making power than the swept volume of a cylinder.
As I noted previously about E85. Much depends on the tune. Most manufacturers tune E85 for mileage and thus power goes down but that's not always the case.

Many aftermarket performance tuners love E85, especially on turbo motors, because they can easily make more power than on pure gasoline.

Either way, the truck will get noticeably worse mileage on E85.

Back on topic: I love my 6.7. All things being equal, I would buy the 6.7 over the 6.2 every day based on how the two drive. The 6.7 feels like a giant turbine with unlimited torque. Its truly amazing.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Baldicon
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Clubwagon
As I noted previously about E85. Much depends on the tune. Most manufacturers tune E85 for mileage and thus power goes down but that's not always the case.

Many aftermarket performance tuners love E85, especially on turbo motors, because they can easily make more power than on pure gasoline.

Either way, the truck will get noticeably worse mileage on E85.

Back on topic: I love my 6.7. All things being equal, I would buy the 6.7 over the 6.2 every day based on how the two drive. The 6.7 feels like a giant turbine with unlimited torque. Its truly amazing.

That's true about E85. Son had a built Subaru STI which cranked out around 150 extra ponies on E85 compared to gas.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What?
One I never said anything about swept volume I said oxygen in cylinder which is affected by a lot of things like cam profiles, intake manifold design, forced air induction, etc.

Two this is a fuel injected engine we are discussing. The computer measures air flow in the intake and oxygen left in the exhaust in order to calculate how much fuel is needed. If we are talking carbs I think you would re-jet for different fuel.

Engine volumetric efficiency will not be impacted much if any by e10 vs e85.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by windellmc
One I never said anything about swept volume I said oxygen in cylinder which is affected by a lot of things like cam profiles, intake manifold design, forced air induction, etc.

Two this is a fuel injected engine we are discussing. The computer measures air flow in the intake and oxygen left in the exhaust in order to calculate how much fuel is needed. If we are talking carbs I think you would re-jet for different fuel.

Engine volumetric efficiency will not be impacted much if any by e10 vs e85.
The only way you get more oxygen per cubic inch in an NA motor is to run at sea level where the air is dense.
Cam profiles and manifolds will not increase oxygen per given cubic inch of atmosphere.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
wfedwar
Elder User
The only way you get more oxygen per cubic inch in an NA motor is to run at sea level where the air is dense.
Cam profiles and manifolds will not increase oxygen per given cubic inch of atmosphere.
You're not considering volumetric efficiency.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wfedwar
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner.

Volumetric efficiency and Thermal efficiency.

For those unfamiliar with these terms: Flow and burn. How much air does the engine flow for a given displacement and how efficient is the combustion process.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:22 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wfedwar
An engine that breathes better will make more power because it can use more volume faster.
This has nothing to do with the amount of oxygen per cubic inch of air.
And he said this....

Available oxygen in cylinder determines how much power you can make.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
windellmc
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
An engine that breathes better will make more power because it can use more volume faster.
This has nothing to do with the amount of oxygen per cubic inch of air.
And he said this....

Available oxygen in cylinder determines how much power you can make.
Oxygen per cubic inch most definitely changes. Air is denser at sea level than at 10k ft therefore it has more oxygen molecules per cubic inch at sea level which means you can burn more fuel and make more power. Boosted engines also pack more oxygen atoms per cubic inch. None of this has anything to do with e85 though which was the original question.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
MetroSteel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 can and will make more power in a tuned engine. As I believe was stated above. This is due to the increased octane levels of e85 compared to pump gas. More octane... more timing and/or leaner fuel mixture can be safely run. It’s also true that an engine, even a tuned engine, requires more e85 to run than pump gas. When changing a fuel system to run e85 in your hotrod for example, you will have to raise the flow rate of your system by bigger pumps/lines/rails/injectors. This is because it takes more. So obviously mpg will decrease. How it works with a factory Ford tune I cant say. I had a flex fuel vehicle for a short time but never ran e85 in it. The nature of e85 would lead me to believe mpg would decrease no matter the tune.

As for oxygen/air flow of engines. An engines just a fancy air pump that cycles from explosions. An old hotrodder at the drag strip told me that once and it made sense.The more air you can get in with the matching/correct amount of flow out the more power it will make. However... the head design/ valve size/ cam profile and timing, fuel etc... control the engines ability to process the air efficiently. You can put the biggest intake and exhaust setup available for your engine but it will usually run worse if your heads suck for example. With an FI engine its a little different but the same aspects determine performance. You may add a blower and pick up 100rwhp due to it forcing more air in. With out all the other components properly matched you may be leaving another 100 on the table. Or ventilate the block... who knows lol.

This is just my understanding of engines over the years of tinkering and racing them. I may have left some stuff out.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Oxygen per cubic inch most definitely changes. Air is denser at sea level than at 10k ft therefore it has more oxygen molecules per cubic inch at sea level which means you can burn more fuel and make more power. Boosted engines also pack more oxygen atoms per cubic inch. None of this has anything to do with e85 though which was the original question.
Uh yeah...I said that.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:37 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcbeevee
12 mpg running around, 8.5 towing a camper. I haven't taken it on a trip so I can't tell you about hwy mileage. This is on a 6.2 4x4 with 4:30 gears.
Lifetime average for me is 17.8 mpg. 6.7L PSD. I usually average 12-12.5 when towing and 18.5-19 empty hwy miles. Right around 12k miles and took delivery in September of 2017.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:56 PM
wingdavid
Junior User
for me after two diesel trucks the one I have on order now is gas. Here is why I made this decision this time
1. Cost I was ordering new this time the last two trucks I bought well used,
2. complexity of controls and systems
3. I was able to get enough torque with gas to pull my 10K trailer
4. My truck sits most of the time not a daily driver.

If I had more money in the bank, it would be 6.7 dually all the way

Old 01-19-2018, 02:15 PM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is one subject that is on every pickup truck Forum, and one that goes on and on and with no real clear answers other than buy what's right for you. 'NS!

Quick Reply: Gas or diesel?