2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

interrupted regen question

Old 01-24-2018, 08:16 PM
ZuluFoxtrot
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interrupted regen question

You know the Murphy's law story by this point......I did a long highway haul today (350 miles) and sure as **** I hit a regen just as I pulled off the interstate. Interestingly, my dpf was only showing 90% but I hit 500 miles on the nose since the past regen and it kicked on. I know there's been some dispute on whether it will force a regen at 500 miles and mine definitely did today.

Anyway back to my point, my dpf only got down to 80% by time I pulled in and I really didn't feel like driving around just to let it complete. This is the first time that's happened where I didn't finish a regen so just curious if that's bad for the motor? Or should I just expect it will start up again relatively soon and should I make sure and drive to complete the next one? Or does it really matter at all unless I get the "drive to clean" message?

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:38 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not likely to do any damage. All that will happens is the truck will monitor, as the % soot goes up and temperature criteria are met, it will begin another clean cycle. If it doesn't complete the cycle several times, it will start giving you messages to drive to complete the cycle. With my winter temps I have never received any messages to drive to complete cleaning cycle. As long as all is functioning correctly no problem.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,619 Likes on 2,728 Posts
I read here on the forum that once the truck is put into Park during a regen that stops the regen process. On my truck that is sort of true. I'll put it into Park during a regen that has brought the DPF % down to 60% at that point. The DPF % will continue to fall while idling. I've had it go to zero once and 25 another time.

Another thing I heard is that if you interrupt a regen and shut the engine off right away that can lead to fuel in the oil. I read it on the Internet, so it MUST be true. I have no solid proof of this. To be on the safe side I let my truck idle for about 5 minutes in Park if I interrupt a regen.

I'm likely putting too much thought into, but I'm OK with that. It gives me something to do.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:18 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
I interrupted regens all the time on my previous-gen diesels and have done the same with both my 2017 diesels. No issues, ever.

In fact, the 2017 trucks no longer give you a message of "Cleaning Exhaust Filter" so how would an uneducated customer even know a regen was happening?

There's no harm in doing this, but I agree with Jim that even if you want to just pull in the yard and shut down, it's best to let the truck idle in Park 2-3 minutes. Even though the regen "stops" dumping fuel, the temps are so high that it will continue to burn down and usefully reduce your %Full screen. If nothing else, it saves some fuel.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:05 AM
eryoung
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
I have no fracking clue when my truck does a regen, XL trim package, basic center display. Got close to 6K miles on it so far. Still loving it!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:08 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by eryoung
I have no fracking clue when my truck does a regen, XL trim package, basic center display. Got close to 6K miles on it so far. Still loving it!
In fairness, no warning is given on any trim level 2017+ truck. Some of us have used FORScan to enable the exhaust DPF %Full screen which gives you an idea. You might be able to enable it even on the 2.3" screen.

Once you've driven a diesel Ford for awhile, you can recognize a regen by a slightly different engine sound, much more active turbo gauge, greatly reduced fuel economy, and if you're stopped or traveling slow...that burning hot smell.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:33 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,619 Likes on 2,728 Posts
If it wasn't for the DPF% screen I wouldn't know that a regen was happening. Sometimes I smell it but usually I don't. I haven't noticed decreased performance. Maybe I'm too busy watching out for all the idiots on the road.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:29 AM
JRnCO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZuluFoxtrot
You know the Murphy's law story by this point......I did a long highway haul today (350 miles) and sure as **** I hit a regen just as I pulled off the interstate. Interestingly, my dpf was only showing 90% but I hit 500 miles on the nose since the past regen and it kicked on. I know there's been some dispute on whether it will force a regen at 500 miles and mine definitely did today.

Anyway back to my point, my dpf only got down to 80% by time I pulled in and I really didn't feel like driving around just to let it complete. This is the first time that's happened where I didn't finish a regen so just curious if that's bad for the motor? Or should I just expect it will start up again relatively soon and should I make sure and drive to complete the next one? Or does it really matter at all unless I get the "drive to clean" message?

Thanks!
I haven't enabled the DPF display on my truck yet. I've got just shy of 1000 miles on it, and last night I believe it went into regen for the second time. Unfortunately, right as we (my wife and I) were pulling into a parking lot to go to an event. So I knew I had to shutdown and interrupt it. We ran some errands on the way home and it started the regen again right as I pulled into my neighborhood. Ugh. This time the smell was very obvious, and it was the first time my wife was in the truck during one. This is our first diesel, so she looked at me like "WTF, is this going to happen all the time?!"

This morning I had a good long hwy commute to a jobs site, so I feel confident that everything worked itself out.

I need to get that DPF screen enabled though.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:28 PM
mikebaby
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How long does a regen typically take?

mikebaby

Old 01-27-2018, 06:46 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by mikebaby
How long does a regen typically take?

mikebaby
It varies with how fast you’re going and how hard the engine is working. I’d say 15 miles at 70mph in somewhat hilly territory unloaded.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:08 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts
I've heard that a regen interupted by shutting the engine off will stop the cycle, and another regen will not commence until the DPF hits 99% full again. I was in the middle of a regen when I stopped at the dealer to pick up some parts I had ordered, and the DPF was reading 50% full when I shut off the engine. To my amazement, the regen continued after restarting the truck 20 minutes later, and the DPF was down to 35% full when I got home 4 miles away.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:10 PM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
I just hooked up my CTS2 and it shows so many regen points - there are 4 or 5 EGT readouts; it shows the soot level in gal/ltr; it shows if the DPF is functioning or not (on/off) which signals a regen; plus so much more. I like the ability to see all of this stuff and the more I drive it, the more I like it (the monitor). Love the truck. And it has the XL info screen so, the CTS2 has a gold-mine of data. Had no idea regens generate 1300 degrees...I’m in the coal business and that’s HOT! Trover’s right, 15-20 mins @ 75-80 mph does the trick and it’ll shut off. And no harm in a interruption. It’s made to just pick up where it left off.