Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Has anyone added a third row seat to an Aerostar without existing mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 04:48 PM
leelorr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone added a third row seat to an Aerostar without existing mounts?

Hello,

I just found and bought the Aerostar I have been looking for for a couple of years:
1994 Shortie, 4WD with low miles (54K), tow package with limited slip rear.
It was ordered with only one rear seat, (the two person version), which is mounted right behind the front seats. There are no other rear seat mounts, and I can't see if there is anything installed under the carpet and insulation panel without tearing it all out. No mounts are visible from under the vehicle even under the installed seat, so they must be inside the frame rails? There are lots of Aerostars with seats and mounts in the wrecking yard a few hours away from me, but does anyone know how big of a job am I facing if I want to remove mounts from a junkyard Aerostar and install them in the rear of mine?

Thanks!
Lorrin

Old 01-17-2018, 06:48 AM
Kruse
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't have the answer you want, but you might consider getting a third seat from another application from a salvage yard and just drill holes and bolt it to the floor to make it permanent. Have an upholstery shop put on new material to match whatever you have in it now.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:52 PM
sittinguy
Tuned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
54k you lucky dog!. Once you get it cleaned up we need pics!
I would say unscrew the rear door sill and pull back the carpet to see if the mounts for the rear seat are there. Or at least the option points to cut in and install some. I never use the middle 2 person seat. I only keep the rear large bench in.
And if you have some Aerostars in a junk yard near you. again, you lucky dog!
Go for it.
While your there take a good front bumper cover off one and send it to me
I would just find the best one in the junk yard and have it towed to my house.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM
RojoStar
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by leelorr
... Shortie, 4WD...
Hmmm?

** Various opinions ***
- Messing with the seating anchors will require engineering and welding talent, but can be done.
- If you really need that 3rd row seating, you've got the wrong vehicle. The Aero is really small by modern standards. If this is a show stopper, bail out now.
- The Aero can be made into a brilliant 2+2, but not a 6 or 7 seater.
It's on my List, using skills mentioned, to mess with the seating anchors, to move the 2nd row seats rear-ward, adding 6+ inches, and eliminate the 3rd row because it's a lost cause (in the shortie).

Old 01-17-2018, 07:27 PM
leelorr
New User
Re: rear seat mounts

I was at the wrecking yard today, and ripped up the flooring in the only van that did not already have rear seats. It did not have seat mounts under the insulation board, but it was a cargo van, so that might be different. I really just want to move the rear seat to the rear position and put in a 3 passenger seat version like some of you mentioned. I like to just throw my gear in the side door, or let rear passengers have several feet of rear leg and luggage/cooler room. There is a thick silver insulation board under the carpet in my van, so I can't just easily look under the carpet for the mounts, although I suspect that they might actually be under there.
I am planning on using this van as my fishing/camping/mountain biking van, so the next step is KYB Gas Adjust shocks, 15 inch wheels and all terrain tires. I have read every thread about 15 inch tire swaps that I can find, and have seen everything from "235/75R15 tires fit on AWD Aerostars" to "don't go larger than 205/70R15 tires" and everything in between. I have found front and rear spring spacers online that say they fit Aerostars, but really I would just like to put on the tallest tires that will fit an AWD without rubbing. I have the 3.73 gears, so even a 27.4 inch tire will still give me a decent gear ratio (along with an extra .75 inch of ground clearance).I am worried that the taller tires also get pretty wide at the same time though.
Thanks for all of your help!
Lorrin

Last edited by leelorr; 01-17-2018 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Typo fix
Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 PM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
FWIW: My 87 short van has only one rear bench seat, but the mounts are there for both seat locations complete with plastic inserts for the ones not being used.
My 97 short van has 2 rear bench seats from the factory. I know because both seats have shoulder belts.
No rear shoulder belts on the 87.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 PM
leelorr
New User
Re: seat mounts

Thanks, that's the information I was looking for!
It gives me the idea that I probably wouldn't be wasting my time pulling up the carpet and cutting holes in the insulation board.
Thanks again,
Lorrin

Old 01-18-2018, 03:04 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
I'm currently using 215/65/15 on Explorer 15x7 wheels, and have no clearance problems. The 235/75/15 is one of the standard sizes for an Explorer, and that size will rub on things like the brake hose. I found this out by trying different sizes at the scrapyard.

I think shoulder belts for rear seats didn't show up in the Aerostar until maybe the 1992 models, so that's not a good indicator of whether the van came with a third row seat or not.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 AM
Car Guy
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You got a very nice van! I looked at that Aerostar when working in Pueblo a couple/few weeks ago. The XL version didn’t automatically include 3rd row seating like the XLT. The truth is, adding the 3rd row is going to be a LOT of work. The mounts are reinforced and welded in to the floor pan. With how clean and low mileage your van is, I’d do everything possible to avoid that.

As for tires... Look for 215 70 15 or 215 65 16. I experimented with many different size tires(and wheels, on Aerostars) over the years and those are a most ideal diameter for the AWD Aero. Yes you can fit a larger diameter but ‘as big as possible’ is rarely the best option. Wheels off a Ranger or Explorer fit perfect.

Where are you located?

Old 01-18-2018, 08:58 AM
leelorr
New User
Re: rear seat mounts

Small world!
I am in Pagosa Springs, CO, about 3.5 hours from Pueblo. I rented a car one-way, dropped it off in Pueblo and drove the Aerostar back, which is always a little scary. The last Aerostar I bought was all the way in Long Beach, CA (45k shorty, but 2wd), that was an evenful drive back.
Anyway, 215/70R15 would be perfect, but I was hoping to put General Grabber AT2 tires on it, and they only come in 205/75R15, 215/75R15, or 225/70R15. I am having a tough time finding all terrain tires that I think will be aggressive enough in snow and muddy forest roads in the size I need.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:16 AM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
If my 97 hadn't come with a second rear seat, I'm quite sure Ford wouldn't have put the shoulder belts in it for a second rear seat. They are anchored right next to the rear door struts.
BTW: My 97 is a Plain Jane. Single air and the only option I see is rear wiper and defroster. Maybe the second rear seat was an option.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:18 PM
87&97Aerostrar
Senior User
Here's an idea.
On an Aerostar that has the mounts for both seats, measure the distances from the sides and rear so you know exactly where the the deep part of the mount would be. On your van locate that spot and use an ice pick to wiggle through the carpet weave and pierce the insulation board. You should be able to tell if there is a mount there by how far in you can push the ice pick.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM
leelorr
New User
RE:Do I have rear seat mounts

Good idea!

Thanks,
Lorrin

Old 01-18-2018, 05:53 PM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the Cargo version would not come with rear seats anyway, so they would not fit the seat mounts.

If it is a 7-passenger van, with windows all the way to the rear, the mounts must be there under the carpet but not on a Cargo van.

I have Front and Rear bumpers if anyone wants to pay the ultimate price.

The ones I have are of a FLEXIBLE material, not the hard-plastic ones from which will crack in splinters if hit. Good quality NOT ! The ones I have are excellent!