2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Im sorry but i am going to have to purchase a RAM

Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 AM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
mayeb it is me, but if I were to order a new truck, it would have to be xl with the stx package, I have no want for a screen....

Old 01-28-2018, 11:05 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by barry1me
I have to agree with you. I had a 16 ram, then a 17 Raptor, and now a 18 Charger GT for work. The Uconnect is way better then Ford Sync 3...The infotainment system and Ergos of the Ram are what keep me liking Ram trucks.The Apple car play works better with Uconnect then the Sync 3 also. I got annoyed when I connected my iphone to my 17 Raptor my factory nav would disappear and it would force you to use your phones Nav through Carplay...With Uconnect you can keep Factory Nav up and use Apple car play if you want. I hated my 17 Raptor interior layout, and the infotainment and dash. Pretty sad that a HD truck can show engine coolant, trans temp, oil temp, and boost all on one page and with actual numbers not a sweeping gauge.

Im a ford Guy at heart, but Im not brand loyal. 2019 Silverado and Ram will definatly put a dent in F series sales for 2018 CY.
the next 1.5yr will be interesting for sure. seems to be nothing in concrete regarding the hd ram but theres alot of photo and video of the 1500. 12" screen is a bit much for me but alot of people will probly want it. ive got the 8.4nav uconnect and have nothing but good to say about it

Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2018, 06:57 AM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's very simple guys. Ford once again raised the standard when they introduced the 17' Super Duty. Winning them the most awarded truck in history, Again. Ram and GM have no choice but to follow the leader to remain somewhat competitive. If they need to advertise brighter LED Headlights, bigger Radios, Huge Fresh Air Hood Scoops or how they compare their Horsepower/Torque numbers to help them sell their Trucks, more power to them. When it comes to Trucks, Bigger, Stronger or who has the Most of something Sells.
I like competition.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That looks terrible. I don't need a giant screen to tell me where my AC is blowing. I want a truck, not a TV. There's a TV at home.

Do any of ya'll drive at night any more? More often than not, those darn screens don't dim enough. And if I can't wire an upfitter switch to kill them, I don't want.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:16 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by Buliwyf
That looks terrible. I don't need a giant screen to tell me where my AC is blowing. I want a truck, not a TV. There's a TV at home.

Do any of ya'll drive at night any more? More often than not, those darn screens don't dim enough. And if I can't wire an upfitter switch to kill them, I don't want.
The RAM has a nice button next to the screen which conveniently shuts the entire thing off if you like. Ford requires you to go several menus into Sync 3 to get to the screen shut off. The screen will turn black and then one more touch restores it. But the dimming function, along with the touchscreen automatically going to black backgrounds at night...is generally enough.

As far as the discussion of the RAM AAM axle vs GM axles a few posts back...well, GM uses an AAM axle as well (maybe not in the front). And having all the weight on the lower ball joint is fine, so long as the ball joint is rated for the work.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
I'm sure it's rated for space shuttle. But it wears out quickly. The AAM is just rubbish compared to a Dana 60.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Samsonsworld
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I tell you what blinds me on FCA's is that dang blasted check engine light that's always on.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:52 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
I just want a radio. I don't use (or want to use) my phone while I'm driving. In 20 years of having a cell, I have taken exactly one call while at the wheel, and I've never made a call in motion. My cell lasts an average of 8-10 days per charge, because I don't live on it all day every day. So SYNC, UConnect, CarPlay, Android Auto, streaming services, etc. - not interested. The only way to get a basic radio is to get a base-trim truck (Ford XL, Ram Tradesman). And in the 2019 Ram 1500, even the Tradesman is now using the 5-inch UConnect touchscreen system. My current Ram will be 13 years old in March, and I only have to look at the radio twice a year when I change the clock for Daylight Saving Time... otherwise, my finger can detect all the buttons by feel and I can select what I want without any eye involvement.

It's unfortunate that buyers can't order a more comfortable truck without also having to have a loaded mid-trim or a luxury trim with leather, a touchscreen video-game console dashboard, a coffee-table-size console, and electronic everything. Based on the available information, the 2018 Ford STX and 2019 Ram Tradesman H1-package are close... but neither offer something as functional as factory fog lights or a power driver seat so I can be as comfortably seated as possible.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:07 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Samsonsworld
I tell you what blinds me on FCA's is that dang blasted check engine light that's always on.
LOLz. Yeah.

Our 4wd, and Tow/Haul mode, and highbeam idiot lights are pretty darn bright as well. I wish I could dim them. Might just take the panel apart, and set a piece of tinted tape over them.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:37 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The only good thing about the '03 Dodge we have in our fleet is that it has a Cummins in it.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Cabindweller
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I’ve owned several of all three brands. I am typically a Ram guy but am not brand loyal and will buy whichever truck seems to be the best at the time. I traded my 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie (Cummins) for my SuperDuty. It had 48,000 miles on it and was consistently giving me small issues to deal with. Two vacations (towing our fifth wheel) ruined because of DEF system errors, was the final straw. I will say that it was the least reliable truck i’ve ever owned.

That being said, I think that the interior was “nicer” than that of my Ford. I also think that Uconnect is far superior to Sync. No question.

In the end, I believe Ford’s powertrain to be superior. When you look at the whole package that these trucks offer, Ford just does too much right to ignore. Even little things that get forgotten: tailgate step, flat floor in the rear of the cab, remote tailgate release, etc... All these features add up to a package that in my opinion, can’t be beat right now by Ram or GM. I sure hope they try. Competition forces them to improve which is great for all of us, as consumers.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:27 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
The RAM has a nice button next to the screen which conveniently shuts the entire thing off if you like. Ford requires you to go several menus into Sync 3 to get to the screen shut off. The screen will turn black and then one more touch restores it. But the dimming function, along with the touchscreen automatically going to black backgrounds at night...is generally enough.

As far as the discussion of the RAM AAM axle vs GM axles a few posts back...well, GM uses an AAM axle as well (maybe not in the front). And having all the weight on the lower ball joint is fine, so long as the ball joint is rated for the work.
i like the 8.4 and dash in the current ram. works great, isnt overly complicated or cluttered with a ton of little useless buttons. simple easy to use without fumbling through a bunch of crap to get to what you want

funny some folks are quick to talk crap on the 12" screen. if ford had the the 12" screen , these same folks would be bragging how ford was the first to do it. see only what they want to see i guess. standard fan boii mentality. i wont knock fords 6 cameras, except to say that i think any camera ,other than the one in the tailgate, is useless crap i dont want. had a camera in the bed and it was useless to me, . 5 more cameras i dont need or want, could care less if ford was the first to implement it on a truck, it meens nothing to me.

about the current aam. its 6000# rated and equivalent to fords current dana60. actually the aam knuckles , especially the lower one, are beefier than fords. perhaps maybe due to the balljoint design differences. while i wont say anything bad about dana, nobodys shown anything tangible that makes me believe theyre any better than current aam stuff.

gm IFS isnt something i care for but it holds up better than most people think. we have boat loads of gm at work and they go offroad every day. if they were failing constantly i would see it first hand. so, the eating tierods comment is pure nonsense from what ive seen with my own eyes

Old 01-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Doubt it. I have an XL.

For your reading enjoyment, 128 pages of SD 60 love:
info on Ford Super Duty Dana 60 axle - Page 128 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 PM
landscapeguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by troverman

I was thinking of the same thing while plowing late at night the other day with my lariat ultimate. My girlfriend has a 2017 ford escape and she has a button that turns the screen off completely with one click, it makes driving so much better at night. I wish the superduties had that option too. It is odd that ford does that in some models but not all

Old 01-29-2018, 09:10 PM
kkirt1
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of my 15' 2500 ram for a 18' F250. It is a great truck except:
The tranny acts weird at times
It lacks power
Worst of all the Cummins has developed a horrible rattle under load. Dealer says its normal - its not normal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Im sorry but i am going to have to purchase a RAM