Disintegrating Dipstick #2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Disintegrating Dipstick #2

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 AM
draboo
Senior User
draboo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Is it common for a 6.0L to go thru a dipstick every few years? I bought a new one back in 2011 and just discovered it has suffered the same fate as it's predecessor. I ordered yet another one and am thinking of reinforcing it somehow to prevent this from happening in the future. Maybe wrap electrical tape around it and use a small screw clamp over that.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Tampa250
Senior User
Tampa250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm sure someone will be along with more information on this but I thought I'd let you know that I've experienced the same thing after replacing my dipstick a few years ago. I'm not sure what the issue is with these things, but as much as I defend the 6.0 to naysayers I must admit it's ridiculous that even the dipstick is problematic on these trucks. Maybe someone makes a $100 billet anodized one that we have to upgrade to?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 AM
draboo
Senior User
draboo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Tampa250 View Post
...but as much as I defend the 6.0 to naysayers I must admit it's ridiculous that even the dipstick is problematic on these truck
I hope someone who is on the fence about acquiring a 6.0 doesn't read this thread. It might send him towards a *gasp* Duramax!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Tampa250
Senior User
Tampa250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
I hope someone who is on the fence about acquiring a 6.0 doesn't read this thread. It might send him towards a *gasp* Duramax!
LOL! My comment was sarcastic and that's it. I've owned my 6.0 since new and can see through the "issues" and know it really is a good platform. I've experienced a few things over the years and my signature line shows what I've done to overcome them. I'm also still a little sour about the injector-related stranding I just experienced during my return trip from a hunting excursion- 5 injectors and probably 20 times pulling onto the shoulder of the highway to let the truck stop running rough will do that to a man trying to get home from the woods.

Make no mistake about it, I love my truck and just address the issues as they come up and, when possible, take the opportunity to upgrade the offending part to enhance the reliability of the vehicle.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
I've also found, and heard others complain about the inconsistent oil readings they get.

I know it makes no sense, but unless I dipstick it the exact same way each time, it will not read accurate.

I will say a new one is a PITA to get pushed down all the way, almost like the seal is too tight on the new one I bought, and it was OEM

Old 01-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Euroman
Elder User
Euroman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had to buy one as well, dipstick was broken when I bought it. Never had a problem with it seating when new though...
It looked nice and new for a few weeks, and then a polecat came along and chewed it up a bit

Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru
Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.Powerstroke_wannabe has a great reputation on FTE.
I bought my 06 new over 12 years ago and now has 218k miles. Now on my third dipstick. So that averages to a new one every 4 years. The one I have now is like Navistarnut said. It's a PITA to get fully seated as well as pull out.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
Never had this issue, just the problem where the '03 oil level indicator was black, so I painted it white.

Mentioning the oil fill level reminded me of what was shown in Ford's training manual for the techs. Not sure that everyone does it this way as I've seen people pushing the handle all the way down to its stored position when taking oil level readings.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.navistarnut has a great reputation on FTE.
Jack, you sure come up with some good stuff

I have never seen this TSB or read about it anywhere. I'm surprised it has not been mentioned more often.

Old 01-16-2018, 10:19 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
That page is not a public document as far as I know. I don't know if I have that TSB or if it ever made it to light. I just happened to be going back to the service training books last week to find docs on flipping the carrier bearing in the LS. We used to grab as much of the documentation as we could from the manufacturers for the vehicles in the test fleet. Unfortunately I only have what I took home to read on weekends.

The page was from this study guide:

The reason I brought it up was that within my own group I had to correct where people checked the oil level by going to full storage depth, not just to the tube top.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 AM
53jimc
Senior User
53jimc is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, I learned something today, thanks.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:43 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
TSB attached

Right or wrong, I always "assumed" that you normally checked the oil level with the dip stick fully inserted and this method was a way to "estimate" the point at which fuel dilution became unacceptable (Ford allows almost 1 qt of fuel or 5% fuel dilution) .... since determining the level above full is impossible with the bulb at the end of the wire.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
It does beg the question why this only applies to early builds.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:17 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
That TSB was issued in 04 Mike, but I haven't ever seen it re-issued or superceded for all 6.0L model years

Ford did have this broadcast message for the 6.4L though:

"1912 - 2008 - 2009 F-SUPER DUTY 6.4L DIESEL ENGINES BUILT 5/14/2008 THROUGH 11/7/2008 MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS INCLUDING EXCESSIVE OIL LEVEL.
SOME 2008 AND EARLY 2009 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 6.4L DIESEL ENGINES BUILT MAY 14, 2008 THROUGH NOVEMBER 7, 2008 MAY EXHIBIT VARIOUS DRIVABILITY SYMPTOMS INCLUDING EXCESSIVE OIL LEVEL (VERIFY WITH THE SHORT STICK METHOD LOCATED IN THE PCED DIAGNOSTIC SUBROUTINES), ENGINE VIBRATION, MISFIRE, AND RUNS ROUGH. PERFORM NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS AND CONTACT RTDA IF YOUR DEALERSHIP IS ON THE 2009 RTDA INJECTOR / HIGH PRESSURE PUMP PROJECT OR IF NOT, CONTACT THE TECH HOTLINE VIA HOTLINE ASSISTANCE REQUEST FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THESE VEHICLES. "

Old 01-17-2018, 07:28 AM
jsm180
Elder User
jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a good reputation on FTE.
According to my 6.0 owners manual, oil level is checked with the dipstick inserted fully on a warm engine, 20 min after shutdown with the truck on a level surface.

The way I read the TSB, leaving the dipstick raised is for checking for oil dilution only, not normal oil level check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disintegrating Dipstick #2

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.