Contemplating tire changeó Wranglers for KO2ís? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Contemplating tire changeó Wranglers for KO2ís?

Old 01-15-2018, 03:11 PM
Senior User

Larrymac52 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Contemplating tire changeó Wranglers for KO2ís?

So my truck has not been built yet, but it will arrive with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar 275/70/18 tires. They seem like decent tires to me, but the inconsistent reviews on them have me wondering. I was already beginning to think of the next set I would buy after these initial tires wore out.
Today I finally realize, why wait?
So I am thinking about BFG A/T KO2 in the same size tire. I have some cattle that is sort of a hobby on a family ranch 2 hours away so I thought they would do better off road.
A few questions come to mind.
Is this a good swap?
Do you that own this tire ( BFG KO2) and recommend it, would you buy it again? Is it a relatively quiet hiway tire?
Finally this is new to me, so I spoke to a service writer today about doing this trade when my special order truck arrives with the Wranglers. He said they do it all the time. He said they would do the BFGís for $327 a piece. I thanked him and called him later to inform him that a nearby tire dealer had them listed at $241 each and could he match the price. Long pause. He then said get a written price from them and we will see what we can do. Thatís like $430 for 5 tires.
He also said I would buy thru the service department but I would go thru the sales department for any credit the Wranglers might bring in. Is that normal for this kind of tire swap? What kind of value can I expect them to give me for the Wranglers? Would I do better selling on CL( that would be a hassle for me.)? Obviously Iíve never done this before. Iím trying to do the simplest deal but not at the expense of a lot of $.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Senior User

honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not a fan of my stock wrangler kevlars. Useless in the mud. We got decent rain, it was a slippery **** show at the dairy when i drove around.

I'll be going to 35" in either Falken wild peak all terrains or Nitto Ridge grapplers.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:52 PM
Senior User

jrodimus is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will lose money this way and never know if the Goodyears would do the job. The kevlar series tires from goodyear are amazing tires and besides the duratrac, the next best tire from goodyear.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:22 PM
Senior User

J Standard is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrymac52 View Post
So my truck has not been built yet, but it will arrive with Goodyear Wrangler Adventure w/Kevlar 275/70/18 tires. They seem like decent tires to me, but the inconsistent reviews on them have me wondering. I was already beginning to think of the next set I would buy after these initial tires wore out.
Today I finally realize, why wait?
So I am thinking about BFG A/T KO2 in the same size tire. I have some cattle that is sort of a hobby on a family ranch 2 hours away so I thought they would do better off road.
A few questions come to mind.
Is this a good swap?
Do you that own this tire ( BFG KO2) and recommend it, would you buy it again? Is it a relatively quiet hiway tire?
Finally this is new to me, so I spoke to a service writer today about doing this trade when my special order truck arrives with the Wranglers. He said they do it all the time. He said they would do the BFGís for $327 a piece. I thanked him and called him later to inform him that a nearby tire dealer had them listed at $241 each and could he match the price. Long pause. He then said get a written price from them and we will see what we can do. Thatís like $430 for 5 tires.
He also said I would buy thru the service department but I would go thru the sales department for any credit the Wranglers might bring in. Is that normal for this kind of tire swap? What kind of value can I expect them to give me for the Wranglers? Would I do better selling on CL( that would be a hassle for me.)? Obviously Iíve never done this before. Iím trying to do the simplest deal but not at the expense of a lot of $.

Where are you located?

You need to go up a couple sizes to see the benefit in the KO2's.

I run KO2's cattle ranching in central Florida and they are great on the sugar sand but will not clean out in red clay, lot of guys are starting to switch out to Toyo R/T's as they clean out better.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodimus View Post
You will lose money this way and never know if the Goodyears would do the job. The kevlar series tires from goodyear are amazing tires and besides the duratrac, the next best tire from goodyear.
see post #2 above. A concern for me in a wet pasture. Once Iíve used them for several thousand miles, not much value at that point. At least a change off at the dealer itís a new tire to sell or trade. Big decision to make.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Posting Guru

Clubwagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
No experience with that model BFG. I have the Wranglers on my truck. Wranglers have been the OE tire on every Ford truck I ever bought. I hated every set I ever had until these. I expected to hate these. I wanted to hate these. I was looking for a truck that had the Michelins on it and when I ended up buying this one I was shopping for tires online that evening.

Funny thing is, they have been excellent for the 7500 miles I have put on the truck. They are quiet, ride well, have good road manners and performance. They seem OK in snow the two times its snowed here and my driveway and road are never plowed.

I haven't really done anything off-road with them but I seldom do anyway so that's not a priority for me.

If you want to go to the trouble and spend your money up front on the BFGs don't let me stop you. But I would at least try the Wranglers to see if they are worth keeping until they are ready for replacement.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:34 PM
Posting Guru

Poncho450 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
On my second set of KO2. Put them on a 2014 F250 and kept them when I got a 2016. They went with that truck. They had a smoother ride than the Firestone Transforce AT they replaced.
I didn't like the way the stock Continental Contitracs handled on winter roads and I thought they looked too small in in the wheel well of this 2017. They were 275/65R18.
Jumped up to a 325/65R18 KO2. We've had some real winter and I like them. My last set made a couple of trips to Florida. No problems with howling tires.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Standard View Post
Where are you located?

You need to go up a couple sizes to see the benefit in the KO2's.

I run KO2's cattle ranching in central Florida and they are great on the sugar sand but will not clean out in red clay, lot of guys are starting to switch out to Toyo R/T's as they clean out better.
I live in Central Florida but the cattle are in Hardee County between Avon Park and Wauchula. How are the Toyo R/Tís on the highway- loud?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Senior User

I'm just sayin' from personal experience, the wranglers w/kevlar were great for me. Don't know if it matters but they are the only tire that I never had a puncture with at the dump, in the mud. They are not mud terrains or even an aggressive all terain compared to the KO'2s, which I also have experience with, and the melted faster than any tire i have owned, including Duratracs, Stt's, open country M'ts (my favorite tire), Firestone, Dynapro at's, and hankook atm's. They even melted faster that the BFG KM2's. It's your money to spend. You asked.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Senior User

RCR70ss is starting off with a positive reputation.
lots of talk about the K02's, i put them on and love them, had duratrac before and many more aggressive tires on trucks but these are by far the best in our snowy winters up here and very quiet compared to others i have had, Dont even notice the noise on the highway!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Senior User

He he, just looked at my 78, Bfg's ko2's...LOL Guess I like em too!
Old 01-15-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior User

Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had K02’s on my 2011 when I traded it in and LOVED them for about 25,000 miles until we traded it in, way better than the Michelins that came on it! My 2017 came with the Goodyear Adventure and I can’t complain but I wouldn’t brag about them by any means, I ran them just over 30,000 miles. I did pickup quite a few nails and screws causing flat tires in the Goodyears but I cant necessarily blame that on the tire, I just don’t usually get that many flat tires...They were quiet, good in the rain, decent in the snow but not even close to the K02’s in the snow. We recently leveled my 17 and put a set of Nitto G2 35” x 20” x 11.5 and I am pleased so far but probably only have 5-800 miles on them so far. $327 is outrageous for a stock size tire though, we paid $315 a piece for the 35’s.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Senior User

Ratings from Tire Rack
Old 01-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Freshman User

wesd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the KO2's now on my F250, and have owned sets of the Toyo Open country R/t, Nitto Trail Grapplers, and Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on different trucks.

The KO2s ride great and look well. Haven't had any issues in the Florida sand yet, but no experience with clay. Much quieter than the Trail Grapplers, and about the same quietness as the R/t and Terras.

Also, buy them from the local shop after you get the truck and sell the tires on CL. Lots of demand for recent take offs, and the dealer is not giving you a good deal on them.

(Apopka, FL)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Post Fiend

Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.Matts72 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'm pretty happy with the Kevlar Wranglers. Its been pretty ****ty up here and they have done very well on the snow and ice for a non winter tire. When they wear out I'll put Cooper ST Max on.