Water Pump Bolts - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Water Pump Bolts

Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM
BocceMon
Senior User
BocceMon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Water Pump Bolts

I have removed my water pump for replacement. Two of the bolts are seriously rusted about half way through. Where can I get a new set of bolts? The two I need have a bolt head about 1 1/2" down the shaft. The local NAPA store has no resources & I'm dead in the water. Any help/advice? Thanks.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I replaced mine with bolts from a local supplier. The bolt with the head part way down is probably a threaded stud with a nut on it. If you have the old bolts, it should be no problem to match them up. I used grade 8 instead of the grade 5 stock bolts. Just don't over torque them.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:11 PM
BocceMon
Senior User
BocceMon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you! I'm going to try the local (21 miles away) junkyard and if that doesn't work then I guess that Ace is the place!

Old 01-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Inside Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-8501AHDW/19...mp-Studs-Bolts

I wouldn't suggest going to the junk yard for these. Most of the time your going to snap them off while trying to extract them. If you do get them out, it's possible to snap them off while reinstalling them on your truck trying to get them to the proper torque.
This is one of those deals where you don't want to skimp with old parts.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:02 PM
TexasGuy001
Post Fiend
TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.TexasGuy001 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I knew Dorman had the partial kit with just the studs, but without the bolts. I didn't know that LMR had a complete set. They sure are proud of them though.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by TexasGuy001 View Post
I knew Dorman had the partial kit with just the studs, but without the bolts. I didn't know that LMR had a complete set. They sure are proud of them though.
Thought the price was a little steep myself but after some thought these may not be a hastle to remove like the factory ones were after a long period of time.

High Quality Construction
The water pump bolts, studs, & nuts are made from ARP 8740 chrome moly steel. They are nominally rated at a 180,000psi tensile strength - a fair margin sturdier than standard Grade 8 hardware & significantly stronger than the factory pieces. Plus, they are Black Oxide coated for corrosion resistance.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 AM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Harder to drill out if they break. Using harder hardware is a mixed bag. Ford knows best.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Inside Man
Senior User
Originally Posted by HardScrabble View Post
Harder to drill out if they break. Using harder hardware is a mixed bag. Ford knows best.
It's possible but less likely.

That "ford knows best" statement in my opinion only pertaines to Ford Design. However the materials and hardware is pretty much a compromise between quality and quantity to make the over all cost of the vehicle more cost effective.

That being said its not out of the question to go out and find a better part quality wise. Not a better design, but a better part.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Workingstiff
Senior User
Workingstiff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Engineers design a great product, then it goes in front of accounting to be cheapened then it goes to lowest bidder for construction

Old 01-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bean counters are destroying the planet.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 PM
Scndsin
Du Nawt Seek The Treasure
Scndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputationScndsin has a superb reputation
If a company built an indestructible product:

A) You ain't gonna' pay for it cause it'd cost too much...

B) The company would go out of bid'ness cause they'd never sell enough.

So there.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Inside Man
Senior User
Not so sure about that, at least with the younger generation anyway. They'd still trade it for something newer because if they don't have the latest and greatest they might get affended or their feelings hurt somehow

Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 PM
Workingstiff
Senior User
Workingstiff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Scndsin View Post
If a company built an indestructible product:

A) You ain't gonna' pay for it cause it'd cost too much...

B) The company would go out of bid'ness cause they'd never sell enough.

So there.
Not true, the only place I wish Ford would have put a few more cents into it are, rear wheel wells, rear spring shackles and hydraulic clutch cylinder. Oh and oil pan.
I have a mid 80's Exmark mower that thing is built like a tank. Awesome product...