2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Transmission goes straight to 5th gear when cold - Won't shift to 1st gear when stopped

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:26 AM
WarriorDog
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission goes straight to 5th gear when cold - Won't shift to 1st gear when stopped

It's a 2017 F350 LWB with 3600 miles. Bought new in October 2017.
I use the remote start 98% of the time. When it's really, really cold I notice that sometimes when I put the gear selector in "D", I can't get the truck to move forward. Like the transmission is slipping. It's done this about 6 times this winter. I park on a sloped driveway and thought maybe the fluid was low. Then I was parked on level ground and pulled out of a parking lot up to an intersection to turn left. The transmission was slipping like it wasn't in "1st" gear. I put it in reverse and it goes backwards fine. I put it back in "D" and it still slipped. I decided to turn right with the traffic flow and the truck finally went in to 1st - and STAYED in first for two blocks. I pulled over in a parking lot and shut the truck off and restarted. Seems to have gone away for the moment.
Yesterday, I started in the driveway and pulled out. mI had to really press the gas to get out of the driveway. I got out of the sloped driveway and rolled up to the stop sign at the end of my street. I looked a the gear indicator and it showed the truck was in "5th" gear. I turned the truck off and restarted and it went fine all day.
Sometimes it will grab and give me a "chunk" like putting it in gear while revving the engine. Which is exactly what's happening.
Here's a pic of the gear indicator in 5th gear while stopped at "0" mph.
What do you folks think? I live in Chattanooga TN and the dealer I bought from is in Murfreesboro, TN about 130 miles away. Should i take it to a local dealer?

Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2018, 11:46 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Absolutely take it to the local dealer. They will honor the warranty.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 AM
J Standard
Senior User
5th gear clutch packs, torque converter, and fluid are not going to like this...

Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you tried to manually shift with the + or - buttons? I agree with Clubwagon.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM
stewy604
Elder User
Agreed on the trip to a dealer. If you use M and shift with the "+ / -" can you make it go into first?

Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM
WarriorDog
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by stewy604
Agreed on the trip to a dealer. If you use M and shift with the "+ / -" can you make it go into first?
Oh it usually just takes me having to re start the engine one time and continue on. It usually fixes itself after the restart. It's done this about 6 times. Only that day from the level parking lot did it really give me a fit and not reset for several restarts. It was 14 degrees that day when I took off in the truck. Truck had been sitting for two weeks in a parking lot blocking in my trailer. I had to use the truck to transfer some inventory between two stores.

I tried the manual shift yesterday and couldn't get it to change the gear selector on the dash. I stayed on 5th gear. I put it in park and then back to "D" and it was still in 5th according to the indicator on the dash. I pulled it down in to L and 2 and nothing changed on the dash.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM
WarriorDog
5th Wheeling
Yesterday was the first time I had noticed the indicator was showing it was in 5th gear while stopped. I'll call the dealer today and keep you posted on what they say.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:42 PM
Pintoman8
New User
5 th gear

I am having the same issue with my 2015. When cold the trans will go to 5th. Talked to the dealer and was told it is a safey feature to go to 5th and lock the converter so the trans won' slip. But today I let the trans warm up to 80 degrees and it still did it. Reverse works fine, drove it and finally started working correct at 140 degrees. Looks like another trip to the dealer, owned the truck 45 days and just had catalytic converters replaced.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 PM
WarriorDog
5th Wheeling
I dropped it off at the dealer this morning at 9. It's 8:51 PM Eastern. Haven't heard from them today at all. I'm guessing it's something electrical or a sensor, since the problem corrects itself when I turn the ignition off and restart it. Glad I've got another vehicle to drive.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:55 PM
WarriorDog
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Pintoman8
I am having the same issue with my 2015. When cold the trans will go to 5th. Talked to the dealer and was told it is a safey feature to go to 5th and lock the converter so the trans won' slip. But today I let the trans warm up to 80 degrees and it still did it. Reverse works fine, drove it and finally started working correct at 140 degrees. Looks like another trip to the dealer, owned the truck 45 days and just had catalytic converters replaced.
How many miles on it?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Pintoman8
New User
Originally Posted by WarriorDog
How many miles on it?
39,000 , miles

Old 01-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Pintoman8
New User
Diagnosis

Service tech tells me mine has a bad transmission pump seal.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
... When cold the trans will go to 5th. Talked to the dealer and was told it is a safey feature to go to 5th and lock the converter so the trans won' slip. ...
I guess anything is possible...but this makes no sense to me. None.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:39 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
That's total BS. No way a "safety feature" would do that. And certainly failsafe mode doesn't do that.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:42 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Is this a 6.2 with the new trans? My truck is the 6.7 and has been drove in -2* temps and it does not lock in 5th gear and thats pretty cold in my book.

Quick Reply: Transmission goes straight to 5th gear when cold - Won't shift to 1st gear when stopped